Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shifting to an indoor range environment

Shifting to an indoor range environment

I'm 3 months into my new job and figuring out what my new "life" looks like. Reality is that in order to shoot more than once a quarter, I'll have to switch to an indoor range (25yd max). The good news is that there's a pretty nice one 5 min from my office where I can go on lunch breaks. My plan at this point is to go at least once a week if not twice. 50-100 round sessions depending on what I'm working on.

Honestly I'm feeling lost as to what to work on. 25yd slow-fire and Dot Torture immediately come to mind, but not sure where to go next. "The Test" and other par-time based drills could work, but with other shooters on the line, a shot timer will have limitations. I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to work from the holster or if they have rate of fire restrictions.

I'm also thinking of transitioning up to 50% of my trigger time to .22lr in an effort to increase volume. I have an M&P22 pistol and an M&P 15-22 carbine.

For targets, I'm going to miss shooting steel and movement. I have several IDPA cardboard silhouettes, but the hanger system is setup for 18x24.

I guess what I'm looking for is some tips, techniques, and best practices from some of you that have been able to build skill while only using a conventional indoor range environment.

ETA: It's worth noting that I worked weeknights and Saturdays for 10+ years at a sister range to the one near my office, so I'm intimately familiar with how target systems work, backstops, etc. I know the owners too and still have a very good relationship, but this being a sister location, they try to let the local staff run it themselves.

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    "Bullseye" stuff. Dot drills. Trigger fundamentals. Holster work and anything fast is likely a no-no. At the indoor range I go to and every other one I've ever been to, rapid fire is forbidden because other people have ruined it for everyone. But they know me there, so I'll get a big target with mutiple small targets on it, and as long as I'm the only one on the line they let me try for speed. So it can't hurt to hang out a bit, be friendly, and actually buy something now and then.

Two humble suggestions:

1. Consider what you would normally do at an outdoor range and then have a conversation with whomever runs the indoor range you have in mind to compare what is permissible. Then solve the problem of any closing any true gaps established between activities in one environment vs the other.

2. if the indoor range environment is truly very limiting, consider establishing or expanding a dry work regimen at home.

Back when I was stuck with an indoor arrangement I got friendly with all the RSO's and they quickly learned I could maintain a tight group at well past their 'rate of fire' limitations.

After a while they would send me over to another lane to help someone whose 'gun wasn't working' (aka they can't hit the broad side of a barn; please demonstrate that the gun isn't the problem) and I started getting cut a lot of slack on what they would allow me to do.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

If the range will allow drawing from the holster and "rapid fire," you'll be able to practice everything you're used to except movement. You can practice transitions by pasting or drawing several small targets onto a larger target or target backer. Six two inch circles at 3-7y are a pretty good simulation of a plate rack. A shot timer won't work well if the range is busy at the time and other people are shooting all around you but it'll be fine on slow days. If the range won't allow you to draw from a holster, practice shots from ready positions and table starts. If the range won't allow "rapid fire" then you can concentrate on perfect accuracy. If you're limited to one shot per second or some such nonsense, just set your targets up so that 1 shot/second is an appropriate cadence. The Test is perfect for this and if you get to the point where you can score in the high 90s on demand at a 1 shot/second pace, send the target a little further back and start working at that farther distance.

I like the idea of investing more of your practice time into .22s in order to maximize the amount of rounds you'll be able to shoot. I don't know if you own any PCCs, but they're perfect for an indoor range. Most indoor ranges I've been to won't allow any centerfire rifle shooting but a 9mm carbine would be just fine. With a 9mm AR you'll be able to practice managing recoil similar to 5.56mm which is something you can't do with a .22 AR.

One thing to always keep in mind is positioning your target so that your rounds always hit the backstop. For example if you stick your target halfway down the backer and bring it to 3y away, your rounds will be going downwards and will impact the floor and ricochet. The closer your target is to you, the higher up it needs to be to keep your rounds parallel to the floor.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I have three (3) indoor ranges within 20 minutes from my house and all allow rapid-fire and working from holster. ,
    On the one hand, I feel lucky to have access to these ranges; on the other hand, I don't have access to outdoor ranges.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I have three (3) indoor ranges within 20 minutes from my house and all allow rapid-fire and working from holster. ,
    On the one hand, I feel lucky to have access to these ranges; on the other hand, I don't have access to outdoor ranges.
    I can think of 2, what is the third? You're not missing anything with the outdoor ranges. None of the outdoor ranges in the NoVA region allow rapid fire or working from a holster.

Chris

NRA Range, Blue Ridge Arsenal and Elite.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    NRA Range, Blue Ridge Arsenal and Elite.
    Duh. I totally forgot about NRA.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Are the target carriers programmable?

The ones at my local indoor range are, but only to whole seconds. I like having the visual start signal since, as you mentioned, shot timers don't work well at crowded indoor ranges.

I shoot lots of index cards (3x5, 4x6) and 2" dots. My range will give you two mini B27s or generic bullseye targets. I use them (plain side out) for backers for the index cards. You can set up transitions by drawing or from low ready to a 4x6 for speed and then transitioning to a half of a 3x5. Other drills like 1, reload, 1 or 1 shot draws (low ready) to a tight target will get you past the rate of fire rule with a sense of urgency, if there is one. Depending on the range rules and the size of the stall, you can do mini box drills. Step from one side of the stall to the other. Work lots of accuracy.

User Tag List