Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers and Armed Equality (2 minute video)

Site Supporter
    From talking to them they seem to be interested in self defense for the same reasons as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    On the one hand, I'm heartened to hear it; on the other hand, I'm concerned that many in said groups are likely seeking out instruction for fear of being targeted for violence specifically for their appearance/behavior.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If it turns out they were correct, it makes for a prudent decision on their part.

If the fear turns out to be unjustified, (but they are levelheaded and reasonable), then no harm is done by their having decided to take responsibility for their own safety (and the safety of loved ones).

On the other hand, if they live in fear and are looking for a talisman to protect them from an imaginary boogieman, then the odds of tragic consequences go up, imho.

Everyone who carries a firearm does so because of the possible necessity of having to use it. In that sense they're no different from any other American exercising their 2A rights.
    Thanks for saving me the typing.!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Absolutely people outside the stereotypical OFWG group should be included in anything and everything 2A. The 2A is a right to self-defense issue and that, by it’s very nature, is all inclusive regardless of what you are. “Guns” by our modern interpretation just so happens to be our state of the art incarnation of “arms” as defined by the 2A. Unfortunately “guns” have a cultural stigma that blinds people to what’s really going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold on a sec I thought the point of the 2A was to enable resistance to tyrannical government.
    Last edited by pooty; 10-15-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    Hold on a sec I thought the point of the 2A was to enable resistance to tyrannical government.
    I would file that under “self-defense” with the subheading “Domestic Enemies”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    When the SAF sued Seattle in 2009 over it's "gun carrying at a public facility is trespassing rule" one of the plaintiffs was the past president of the gay-pride parade.

Everyone (who's not a felon, etc. )has the right to have, and carry a gun for lawful self defense.

The SAF has enlisted six state residents as plaintiffs, including two Department of Corrections employees who live or work in Seattle, are licensed to carry handguns, and say they have legitimate fears about "retaliation from people" encountered at work. Two other plaintiffs are active in the local gay community (Ray Carter co-chaired Seattle's pride parade in the 1990s).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seattle...nti-gun-rules/
    Last edited by idahojess; 10-15-2018 at 08:15 PM.

It's EVERY American's 2nd Amendment. Don't let your thinking become crystallized or allow America to be divided and diminished!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Larry is 100% correct here. However, I would add on to this that it's worth keeping a closer eye on non-traditional gun owners, not because they're inherently dangerous or anything, but because their development as people outside of the typical cultures and communities we get the majority of gun owners from may result in them having, shall we say, less-than-ideal levels of respect and common sense for firearms. In the long term they very well may and likely will become competent firearms owners, but man, most of the really, really awful and dangerous stuff I've seen people do with guns has been from people out of these groups who clearly didn't have anyone guiding them (for example, a transsexual gun owner in a Discord I was dragged into bought a Russian VIS/IR laser for fun, mounted it to her AK, and proceeded to burn her eyes by looking into the IR laser because she couldn't tell if it was working or not).

Basically, I encourage mentorship of non-traditional gun owners not only for our own benefit as part of the greater 2A community, but also because in my experience there's a not-insignificantly elevated chance that they might hurt themselves if they're coming into this hobby without the proper mindset, and pop culture isn't helping.

Agree with Vickers. The "Other community" as they are referred to, are also Americans and have all the rights to protect themselves.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I started teaching CCW classes earlier this year and so far a good majority of my students have been in one or more of the above categories, and that's in southwestern WV which is about as backwards as a place can get.
    A year later I'm sitting here doing the math from my 2019 class rosters, and in CCW classes this year exactly 75% of my students have been women. I haven't checked for the more advanced classes but I'd say less than 10% have been women, which is something I'm going to tackle in 2020. We have a private alumni group on Facebook and talking to the students there I feel like it's something they want to do, but it's going to require women's only classes and extensive use of loaner guns and gear.

Student
    Thanks for the update and keeping up on your numbers. I hope you find a solution to moving everyone to advanced.

User Tag List