Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Arms in Manassas is closing :(

That sucks. I've never done business with them but they seemed to have a good reputation across many gun boards. The guy I do transfers through closed his shop a while back and is working out of his home. He said with the gun market like it is, maintaining a retail space was no longer feasible for him. He used to sell the M&P Sports by the pallet load. Toward the end he was only selling a couple a week because the people who's budget is in that ballpark are now buying the $3-400 complete "build" kits from Palmetto.

Site Supporter
    I would recommend them to others needing competent assistance. These shops are irreplaceable. In the back are highly skilled gunsmiths. In the front are most knowledgeable persons working the counter. Sadly, we are being left with box stores run by the misinformed. Today we are "thriving" on all the internet good deals whereby manufacturers and distributors are blowing out product. The so-called good deals may represent death throes of an industry. In my area some ffl persons will receive and transfer a firearm for $20. Ordered out of state, there is no tax. Often the product is shipped free.
    Last edited by willie; 10-16-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    I doubt Cabelas coming into the region helped any. That said, most of what *I* bought at Cabelas wasn't sold at VA Arms.

I can't get over the idea that the other two shops in Manassas are still around. Neither are quality and one is downright sketchy and possibly a front for criminal activity. How they outlasted VA Arms is troubling.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    ...all the internet good deals whereby manufacturers and distributors are blowing out product. ... ffl persons will receive and transfer a firearm for $20. Ordered out of state, there is no tax. Often the product is shipped free.
    Sorry to hear about these guys in NoVA, same phenomenon you describe, the dominance of internet dealers and gunbroker, is causing great hardships for several local gun shops in my area. I don't see how it is much different than what Amazon and other online has done to Sears or ToysRus. The nature of all retail commerce has changed forever.

The first time I went to VA arms I brought a disassembled mossberg 500 in a gym bag I had spent hours trying to put back together (back in the noob days). I gave it to Robb and was expecting him to tell me to come back in a day or 2, and give me a quote. About 8 minutes later he hands me a functioning, assembled shotgun back. I ask him how much it was, and he told me no charge.

I've never been to a better gun store. Maybe some had better selection, some had better prices, but no other store I've ever visited could match the knowledge, experience and customer service EVERYONE in that store provided.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I doubt Cabelas coming into the region helped any. That said, most of what *I* bought at Cabelas wasn't sold at VA Arms.

I can't get over the idea that the other two shops in Manassas are still around. Neither are quality and one is downright sketchy and possibly a front for criminal activity. How they outlasted VA Arms is troubling.

Chris
    What stores? I remember one almost pawn shop looking one just down the road, I think the sign on it literally says "GUNS" and its run by someone that looks like he's out of Duck Dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    The first time I went to VA arms I brought a disassembled mossberg 500 in a gym bag I had spent hours trying to put back together (back in the noob days). I gave it to Robb and was expecting him to tell me to come back in a day or 2, and give me a quote. About 8 minutes later he hands me a functioning, assembled shotgun back. I ask him how much it was, and he told me no charge.

I've never been to a better gun store. Maybe some had better selection, some had better prices, but no other store I've ever visited could match the knowledge, experience and customer service EVERYONE in that store provided.
    Agreed on all points. Robb installed some Apex parts in my M&P for free, so I made sure to buy some more stuff from the shop since I fully expected to pay him.
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-16-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What stores? I remember one almost pawn shop looking one just down the road, I think the sign on it literally says "GUNS" and its run by someone that looks like he's out of Duck Dynasty.
    If "down the road" is off Rt28 just before you get to the Bull Run bridge, that's the one. Last time I went in there, the reloading components were priced at double the market rate and he was trying to sell me a S&W M17 with a blob of rust for a rear sight for $700 when you could find good used ones for less than $500. Everything in there was so expensive, I got the impression the goal was NOT to sell anything, but to maintain an appearance of a gun store.

Chris

C&R Firearms opened up just down the street from Elite Shooting Sports over the summer. Last time I was there the owner was still getting set up, but it looked promising, and he was offering competitive transfer and consignment services. The website is somewhat spartan.

Any idea where Robb Jensen is going? Whenever a friend has needed AR15 work I have referred him to Robb.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Any gun shop functioning as well as the one mentioned here will necessarily have high overhead. Employing competent and reliable staff costs more for obvious reasons. Too, a good shop stands behind its product and service, and that in itself is not a cheap endeavor. Further, other operating expenses like insurance, utilities, and rent are increasing with inflation, but in this market, profits are not. And then there is burnout from dealing daily with the public and having to listen to so much bull shit. I regret that we lost this stellar source of wisdom, excellent smithing, and fine product.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    C&R Firearms opened up just down the street from Elite Shooting Sports over the summer. Last time I was there the owner was still getting set up, but it looked promising, and he was offering competitive transfer and consignment services. The website is somewhat spartan.
    That's good to know. I'll check them out. Not quite as convenient as VA Arms (who is literally within easy bicycling distance and right down from a nice little brewpub), but still near enough.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Any gun shop functioning as well as the one mentioned here will necessarily have high overhead. Employing competent and reliable staff costs more for obvious reasons. Too, a good shop stands behind its product and service, and that in itself is not a cheap endeavor. Further, other operating expenses like insurance, utilities, and rent are increasing with inflation, but in this market, profits are not. And then there is burnout from dealing daily with the public and having to listen to so much bull shit. I regret that we lost this stellar source of wisdom, excellent smithing, and fine product.
    You've described VA Arms to a "T". I've NEVER seen them get frustrated, short, or annoyed with customers. They stand behind everything they sell. They treat all of their customers like their favorite customer. I would typically go in there once a month or so, not often enough to be super familiar with the staff, but they seemed to recognize and greet me all the same.

Chris

User Tag List