Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Arms in Manassas is closing :(

Site Supporter
    I'm sorry to hear they are closing. I have visited the shop several times in the last five years since my bride has frequent business in the NOVA area. Bought several small items from them. Professional staff. Hope they have places to go...

Apparently Robb Jensen is now Chief Armorer over at Elite Shooting Sports - that's a terrific combination.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Apparently Robb Jensen is now Chief Armorer over at Elite Shooting Sports - that's a terrific combination.
    That's effing awesome.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Any gun shop functioning as well as the one mentioned here will necessarily have high overhead. Employing competent and reliable staff costs more for obvious reasons. Too, a good shop stands behind its product and service, and that in itself is not a cheap endeavor. Further, other operating expenses like insurance, utilities, and rent are increasing with inflation, but in this market, profits are not. And then there is burnout from dealing daily with the public and having to listen to so much bull shit. I regret that we lost this stellar source of wisdom, excellent smithing, and fine product.
    On account of the Internet, this dynamic is happening all over the country across multiple industries (see Toys R Us’ recent demise). Were it not for the 1968 GCA there’d likely be no physical gun shops at all. Unless a shop can find a niche where they can effectively compete with Budsgunshop.com while having higher marginal capital costs , the writing is on the wall.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Outstanding!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    On account of the Internet, this dynamic is happening all over the country across multiple industries (see Toys R Us’ recent demise). Were it not for the 1968 GCA there’d likely be no physical gun shops at all. Unless a shop can find a niche where they can effectively compete with Budsgunshop.com while having higher marginal capital costs , the writing is on the wall.
    I knew a gunshop owner who said that he actually liked Bud‘s. In his opinion, he made almost as much on the transfer as he did when he stocked guns. But with transfers, there was no sales tax to collect, nor did he have any other costs associated with keeping guns in inventory.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd be surprised if more than 5 percent of the guns that go through my LGS' bound book were actually sold in the shop. They cracked that code, and it's working for them.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

That's great to hear.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'd be surprised if more than 5 percent of the guns that go through my LGS' bound book were actually sold in the shop. They cracked that code, and it's working for them.
    A close friend holds an FFL and this is his exact business strategy. The overwhelming majority of the 'in stock' guns are simply consignment from his customers looking to move a gun they don't want anymore. The only guns he buys to stock are easy-selling batches of things like WASR's before a gun show - wherein his strategy is to walk the show, find the guy with the cheapest price on the same thing, and he'll go down another $25-50 and move his entire stock that weekend.

Damn, I'm hearing about this way too late. Virginia Arms was my FFL from the beginning and I was loyal to the end. I don't trust any other place with my paperwork. I wonder if the expansion increased overhead too much? Or perhaps Bernie is simply retiring at a good time.

User Tag List