Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of Mindset

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    You only get there through experience, and your individual experience (or lack of) is going to flavor your perception of what you need. A lot of it is just the desire to improve, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Now you could probably speed things up if you force feed someone a streamlined process. Take my son, for example. When he's old enough I can buy him a Glock 19 with appropriate gear, have him take a trauma medicine, handgun intro, handgun intermediate, and force-on-force class and now he's way ahead of most people. Convincing someone they need to do that on their own is a much larger chore.
    In answer to the OPs question, not for the average citizen.

But, I think something like UnoZero outlines above is definitely a reasonable path for one that comes to it seeking optimization or possibly from another learning process that involves the humility of accepting you have really limited knowledge.

Someone with that sort of learning mindset could skip a few phases pretty easily, but the average person won’t usually qualify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember my first few times hitting the range with a pistol. It was pure blast-o-rama time. No real understanding of or desire to learn proper fundamentals. Hits all over paper, and even off the paper. Sore thumb knuckle, because I was firing a Glock 23 and my grip was entirely wrong-----thumb knuckle took the brunt of the recoil. I had no clue. Many people stay more or less in this mode forever.

It takes discovering what good shooting is before most even consider aspiring to it. Even then, it takes time and effort to begin to get 'good.' Lots don't see the light or stretch to reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 3 View Post
    Phase I. This was my initial decision to get my concealed carry permit. As a new father, I felt that it was my duty to protect my family. I wanted a small, lightweight, inexpensive pistol to carry with me. I bought a brand new Kel-Tec PF9.
    Most don't evolve past this.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Most don't evolve past this.
    And it’s a good first step. So you get a gun and take the CHL class. All set, right? State says you now know everything you need to know.

If I take Spanish 101 and the teacher says, “Congratulations, you speak Spanish now,” it’d be pretty obvious that I really don’t. I can observe people speaking Spanish and it’d be clear that I can’t keep up. You take your CHL and there’s nothing to compare it to. Because you don’t get in or observe gunfights every day, so there’s no “normal” to compare your skill level too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    And it’s a good first step. So you get a gun and take the CHL class. All set, right? State says you now know everything you need to know.

If I take Spanish 101 and the teacher says, “Congratulations, you speak Spanish now,” it’d be pretty obvious that I really don’t. I can observe people speaking Spanish and it’d be clear that I can’t keep up. You take your CHL and there’s nothing to compare it to. Because you don’t get in or observe gunfights every day, so there’s no “normal” to compare your skill level too.

Very well stated.

Wish there were a way to express this to beginners in a non-judgmental way.
    Not “you suck now,” but more “welcome to the beginning of a journey.”

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I like this. I'm going to use it for lots of things.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

As Pat Rogers said, "Learning occurs after repetitive, demoralizing failure". I'd like to play a guitar well, but not enough to motivate myself to go through the repetitive, demoralizing failure. Hence I suck, and I always will. Most of the people I know who own guns like to shoot a little, and may wish they could shoot better, but it's not something they want to invest a lot of time and money in.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I still think this article, Becoming a Civilian Defender by @Sherman A. House DDS, is the best place for most to start.

He suggests his list be accomplished in order:
    1. Criminology/Street Smarts/Physical Preparedness
    2. Defensive Driving
    3. Emergency Medical
    4. Legal Preparation, Aftermath and Rules of Engagement
    5. Less Lethal skills
    6. Handgun Carry Course
    7. Handgun Skills and Tactics Course
    8. Defensive Tactics
    WRT 1, Criminology/Street Smarts/Physical Preparedness: Subscribe / follow Aprill Risk Consulting (on Facebook or Intstagram) and the Active Self Protection main channel (on Facebook or YouTube). Skim through Dr Aprill's short news clippings and his comments and watch John Correia's short videos. It's a low barrier to entry that doesn't jam "Gun-Life" down your throat. Do this for a couple weeks or months. I bet you start to see some trends and can start determining your level of participation.

I would also add: improve general health. For most Americans, obesity and heart disease are far more likely to kill or "cause grave bodily harm" than a bad guy. Get to a healthy weight (BMI isn't perfect but is probably a good starting point for most) and do some modest cardio. Larry Lindenman's LSD workout program is a good place to start. This 1h20m podcast, SSA: Fighting for Fitness with Larry Lindenman, gives some good, realistic fitness recommendations.
    Last edited by David S.; 10-17-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I still think this article, Becoming a Civilian Defender by @Sherman A. House DDS, is the best place for most to start.

He suggests his list be accomplished in order:

WRT 1, Criminology/Street Smarts/Physical Preparedness: Subscribe / follow Aprill Risk Consulting (on Facebook or Intstagram) and the Active Self Protection main channel (on Facebook or YouTube). Skim through Dr Aprill's short news clippings and his comments and watch John Correia's short videos. It's a low barrier to entry that doesn't jam "Gun-Life" down your throat. Do this for a couple weeks or months. I bet you start to see some trends and can start determining your level of participation.

I would also add: improve general health. For most Americans, obesity and heart disease are far more likely to kill or "cause grave bodily harm" than a bad guy. Get to a healthy weight (BMI isn't perfect but is probably a good starting point for most) and do some modest cardio. Larry Lindenman's LSD workout program is a good place to start. This 1h20m podcast, SSA: Fighting for Fitness with Larry Lindenman, gives some good, realistic fitness recommendations.
    Thanks David for the shout-out!

User Tag List