Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of Mindset

Evolution of Mindset

Warning! Long-winded text to follow. The subsequent ramblings are just that, of someone who is not or ever was a LEO, .Mil guy, or training junkie. It is my evolution of mindset over the last decade or so. I am not seeking likes, rather humbly posting how I evolved from a Tactical-Timmy and thankfully God has watched over me thus far from being a complete idiot or worse. I post this as I see people who are new to guns and concealed carry repeating the phases that I went through. I genuinely ask, is there a way to fast-track the average citizen through these phases? I assume that most LEO and .Mil figure this out pretty quickly, but I stand to be corrected by those within the profession. Feel free to add to the phases or additional phases that I have yet to enter as you see/have seen how others evolve. Or feel free to tell me I was or still am a dumbass. Better yet, provide your own history of your evolution of mindset. I thank Pistol-Training and Pistol-Forum for helping my advancement.

Phase I. This was my initial decision to get my concealed carry permit. As a new father, I felt that it was my duty to protect my family. I wanted a small, lightweight, inexpensive pistol to carry with me. I bought a brand new Kel-Tec PF9. After obtaining my CCW, I felt that I was now Batman and would respond if I seen a fellow citizen in need. I am a Sheepdog. My CCW was a 9mm, but one day I wanted to own a real gun with a caliber that started with a 4.

Phase II. I am searching the internet for gun forum reviews and YouTube videos of good shooters comparing guns. I have actually started shooting more and cannot hit crap with my PF9 due to the long double action only pull. I am in search of a real gun used by professionals, such as local LEO. YouTube says I should own a Glock 9mm with XS Big Dots, but the XD is just a good and cheaper according to ex-Marine who owns LGS. Ended up selling PF9 to pawn shop for a minor loss and buying a FS M&P 9mm due to it having a grip angle of God’s Gun; the venerable 1911. Maybe 9mm isn’t so bad after all though. Traded the M&P after a short time for a G17 with Big Dots already installed. GTG.

Phase III. The full-size gun is awkward to conceal, but I need a full size to be a dress-up tactician on the weekends. Maybe I should buy more guns to try out. I need one in each caliber to have “options” and to be able to buy any ammo in a panic buy scenario. I have a cheap 1911 Commander, cuz: ‘Murica, but don’t carry it because 1911’s suck (so says YouTube). Maybe I need an active shooter bag in the car, just in case things go south so I can be the good guy with a gun that stops a bad guy with a gun. I need to save for training with one of the great entertrainers in the industry, but after I have enough gear. My carry rotation through these years involved at one point or another: Shield 9, G27, G26, G17, G19, Sig P226, XDM, USP 40c, P320, 1911 Commander, HK45, M&P 40c, M9A1, CZ P-01.

Phase IV. A lot of the crap I have collected is of no use to me and I have wasted time, money, and sold reliable guns in search of “The One: Do-it-all Handgun”. I am not LEO or Mil and playing dress up with tactical pants, riggers belt, and OWB kydex on the weekend is stupid. A Glock 19 and a spare along with good training would have been a better use of my money. Sold off all “wannabe an operator” guns and consolidated on 9mm Glock for logistics. Carry is G19 or G43.

Phase V. Realization that mindset is much more important than shooting. I would be much better served by keeping an IFAK and knowing how to use it, then a retarded active shooter bag. What the heck was I thinking, I am not a LEO and don’t want to be shot by trying to be a hero. The legal aspect of shoot/no-shoot and people management is equally if not more important than being a gunfighter. Winning the legal battle is equally as important as winning the gun battle. Carry is G19 or G43.

Phase VI. A concealable handgun that I know how and when to use and will carry 100% of the time I am legally able to do so along with an IFAK are great tools in my box if the time ever comes to where I need to employ them. Hopefully, I will never need to. Other tools, such as situational awareness and being in overall good physical condition are much more relevant to my day-to-day life and the continuation thereof. Empty handed martial skill are important also. My mission is not that of law enforcement. My mission as a husband, father of four children (need to change my screen name), and civilian is to ideally: identify the potential for a situation before it evolves into one, if it evolves-deescalate or remove myself from it if possible, if not-break contact or put an end to the situation by whatever means are legally justified, tuck the little ones in at night with full bellies in a warm bed followed by prayer, make PB&J’s for the next day, sleep, wake up, repeat. Carry most of the time is G43.

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 3 View Post
    Warning! Long-winded text to follow. The subsequent ramblings are just that, of someone who is not or ever was a LEO, .Mil guy, or training junkie. It is my evolution of mindset over the last decade or so. I am not seeking likes, rather humbly posting how I evolved from a Tactical-Timmy and thankfully God has watched over me thus far from being a complete idiot or worse. I post this as I see people who are new to guns and concealed carry repeating the phases that I went through. I genuinely ask, is there a way to fast-track the average citizen through these phases? I assume that most LEO and .Mil figure this out pretty quickly, but I stand to be corrected by those within the profession. Feel free to add to the phases or additional phases that I have yet to enter as you see/have seen how others evolve. Or feel free to tell me I was or still am a dumbass. Better yet, provide your own history of your evolution of mindset. I thank Pistol-Training and Pistol-Forum for helping my advancement.

Phase I. This was my initial decision to get my concealed carry permit. As a new father, I felt that it was my duty to protect my family. I wanted a small, lightweight, inexpensive pistol to carry with me. I bought a brand new Kel-Tec PF9. After obtaining my CCW, I felt that I was now Batman and would respond if I seen a fellow citizen in need. I am a Sheepdog. My CCW was a 9mm, but one day I wanted to own a real gun with a caliber that started with a 4.

Phase II. I am searching the internet for gun forum reviews and YouTube videos of good shooters comparing guns. I have actually started shooting more and cannot hit crap with my PF9 due to the long double action only pull. I am in search of a real gun used by professionals, such as local LEO. YouTube says I should own a Glock 9mm with XS Big Dots, but the XD is just a good and cheaper according to ex-Marine who owns LGS. Ended up selling PF9 to pawn shop for a minor loss and buying a FS M&P 9mm due to it having a grip angle of God’s Gun; the venerable 1911. Maybe 9mm isn’t so bad after all though. Traded the M&P after a short time for a G17 with Big Dots already installed. GTG.

Phase III. The full-size gun is awkward to conceal, but I need a full size to be a dress-up tactician on the weekends. Maybe I should buy more guns to try out. I need one in each caliber to have “options” and to be able to buy any ammo in a panic buy scenario. I have a cheap 1911 Commander, cuz: ‘Murica, but don’t carry it because 1911’s suck (so says YouTube). Maybe I need an active shooter bag in the car, just in case things go south so I can be the good guy with a gun that stops a bad guy with a gun. I need to save for training with one of the great entertrainers in the industry, but after I have enough gear. My carry rotation through these years involved at one point or another: Shield 9, G27, G26, G17, G19, Sig P226, XDM, USP 40c, P320, 1911 Commander, HK45, M&P 40c, M9A1, CZ P-01.

Phase IV. A lot of the crap I have collected is of no use to me and I have wasted time, money, and sold reliable guns in search of “The One: Do-it-all Handgun”. I am not LEO or Mil and playing dress up with tactical pants, riggers belt, and OWB kydex on the weekend is stupid. A Glock 19 and a spare along with good training would have been a better use of my money. Sold off all “wannabe an operator” guns and consolidated on 9mm Glock for logistics. Carry is G19 or G43.

Phase V. Realization that mindset is much more important than shooting. I would be much better served by keeping an IFAK and knowing how to use it, then a retarded active shooter bag. What the heck was I thinking, I am not a LEO and don’t want to be shot by trying to be a hero. The legal aspect of shoot/no-shoot and people management is equally if not more important than being a gunfighter. Winning the legal battle is equally as important as winning the gun battle. Carry is G19 or G43.

Phase VI. A concealable handgun that I know how and when to use and will carry 100% of the time I am legally able to do so along with an IFAK are great tools in my box if the time ever comes to where I need to employ them. Hopefully, I will never need to. Other tools, such as situational awareness and being in overall good physical condition are much more relevant to my day-to-day life and the continuation thereof. Empty handed martial skill are important also. My mission is not that of law enforcement. My mission as a husband, father of four children (need to change my screen name), and civilian is to ideally: identify the potential for a situation before it evolves into one, if it evolves-deescalate or remove myself from it if possible, if not-break contact or put an end to the situation by whatever means are legally justified, tuck the little ones in at night with full bellies in a warm bed followed by prayer, make PB&J’s for the next day, sleep, wake up, repeat. Carry most of the time is G43.
    Were you competing on the weekends?

Did you attend any training classes, and if so, what and where in the progression?

Where are you at with respect to shooting skills?

I agree the G43 carries a lot easier. It’s just not nearly as comforting as the G19 for a coupld of reasons.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Consistency, relevancy, robust simplicity...embody the fundamentals.

Those phases are pretty consistent with what most people go though. A lot of us actually did (do?) attend training classes with the entertrainer of the day, and also added in completion shooting, about which our attitudes change(d) pretty regularly (completion teaches bad habits that will get you kille, no it doesn’t it’s just a game that gives repetition of the fundamentals. IDPA is the gunfighter’s game, no it’s not USPSA is because IDPA vests are stupid. I need to compete with my carry gun and holster from concealment, no I don’t it’s just a game, etc.).

There are later phases beyond what you list but most aren’t very popular and it’s hard for people that are only on phase 1 to see that there is a 2, 3, 4, those on 5 that there is an 8. I know that when I was on lower phases I looked at those that I now realize we’re on later phases and thought they had given up, or were stupid, etc.
    Last edited by rob_s; 10-15-2018 at 05:56 AM.

“Is there a way to fast track the average citizen through”?

I’d say no. Based on the ‘average citizen’ I encounter at gun stores, or online, or at the shooting range, I’d say no. The amount of ignorance displayed by those that ‘bin shootin for years’ is breathtaking. Take a look in astonishment at the ceilings of my local indoor range. How in the hell do you shoot that high at 7 yards? 90% of the shooters to the left and right of me can’t shoot inside an 8” circle 10’ away, And these are the people who are out practicing.

The ‘training’ industry doesn’t help. Good, useful informative CCW classes taught by knowledgeable experienced instructors like Rangemaster’s Tom Givens are very hard for a noob to find. Mostly I see ‘GET YER CCW BADGE FER $50!” type offerings, or people who can teach you to shoot swinging on monkey bars, or classes where you can wear your camo and SF neck-gaiter, and bring your plate carrier and NVGs and engage the zombie hordes at 25 yds with your carbine.

Sigh.

Personally, my progression took a similar path as yours. I feel fortunate to have found pistol-forum pretty early in my gun experience, 2014. Of course I ignored Doc’s advice to buy two Glock 19’s anyway.

These days I have a G19, a 26, a Ruger LCR and I’m focusing on executing the fundamentals.

Good thread. I think that many may have gone through the same or fairly similar progression.

I remain very glad that I discovered this forum, as it moved me quickly beyond the foolish ignorance and complete lack of skills that I had when I first began shooting pistol. This forum (and pistol-training.com) accelerated my increase of awareness of what 'good' pistol shooting and high-level skills are. This reoriented my focus away from just owning & blasting a pistol to actually understanding what separates poor from average from top level shooters, and motivated me to grow my skill set. Now, years later, while I'm still not a top shooter, I know that my gun handling and shooting skills are measurably far more advanced. And I remain motivated to continue developing.

Thanks, Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

I’d say no.
    So much no.

Besides the "you don't know what you don't know" cliche, you just simply can't replace experience with training/knowledge/instruction in all things.

part of my job is a responsibility for corporate training for ~200 type-a construction management professionals. Not only do they not know what they don't know, but it is extremely difficult to get them to understand the risks of the decisions they make daily without them actually having been burned before.

So it is extremely rare to be able to get a 30-something new dad to buy a pair Glock 19s, a quality holster, take a multi-day intro course, hit a match from time to time, get regular exercise, eat reasonably healthy, and put a first aid and BOK is his and his wife's daily drivers, as well as the kitchen pantry.

That is literally just about all anyone *needs* but it takes years, sometimes decades, to figure that out. Partly because of the preconceived notions society and movies have put into your average guy's head, and partly because almost nobody is honest with themselves when they start as to ratio of fear:need:fun:risk.

The fundamentals seem so easy at first that the untrained thinks there must be more and so begins the process of these phases. Then you realize while the fundamentals may be easy to grasp you still suck at applying them. Only then do we realize all the fluff and excess is not where it's at and pair down to the G19's and begin training in earnest humbled and ready to actually learn.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    You only get there through experience, and your individual experience (or lack of) is going to flavor your perception of what you need. A lot of it is just the desire to improve, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Now you could probably speed things up if you force feed someone a streamlined process. Take my son, for example. When he's old enough I can buy him a Glock 19 with appropriate gear, have him take a trauma medicine, handgun intro, handgun intermediate, and force-on-force class and now he's way ahead of most people. Convincing someone they need to do that on their own is a much larger chore.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

I’d say no. Based on the ‘average citizen’ I encounter at gun stores, or online, or at the shooting range, I’d say no. The amount of ignorance displayed by those that ‘bin shootin for years’ is breathtaking. Take a look in astonishment at the ceilings of my local indoor range. How in the hell do you shoot that high at 7 yards? 90% of the shooters to the left and right of me can’t shoot inside an 8” circle 10’ away, And these are the people who are out practicing.
    Every couple months we have a church shoot on a member's private property. All the guys there are your typical NRA gun owners...and the ignorance and misinformation on gun handling, ballistics, and the law is astounding.

But it's lots of fun, and I enjoy supervising the kids and letting them shoot my steel plates. Any "ping" on a 12" plate is as good as a bullseye.

User Tag List