Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HK LEM -

We had a good range session, although it was very challenging at times, there were a few bright spots. We ran 300R/HST through it, her shooting the majority of the rounds. The two malfunctions happened with her shooting. It was a little warm out, and she was complaining about it being hard to maintain her grip, due to the heat, so was it her limp-wristing the gun, or the gun, I’m really not sure. She never had that issue with her 229, so...?
    She also had two instances where she didn’t get back past the reset, and had a dead trigger...she thought it was the gun, but I figured out what she had done. Again, a new gun with a longer reset point than the very short reset point on her Sig.

First off, she shot ‘The Test’ using The IDPA target above, and at 10 yds, she was all over the place, so I moved her up to 3 yds, and dropped the timer, just to let her focus on getting accurate shots on target, and she did fine there, so later we moved back to 5 yds and still had some good shots. I think she will just need more time getting comfy with this new gun/trigger, but ultimately, I think she will nail it, and become as proficient with it, as she is with her 229.

The Dot Torture drill was done at the end of the session, and for it being her first time doing that drill with a new gun, and it only being the second time she’s shot it, I’m not going to complain. On the IDPA target that I made above, she also had some good moments along with some WTH ones, so over all, I think she did ok, and I saw enough good shots to think that she CAN shoot it well, even if it’s sporadically at this point. She still likes the LEM setup, so she’ll keep plugging along, and practicing more before we do a full day Defensive 101 class on Dec 8th.

Although I have big hands, especially considering the size of this gun, I like shooting it a lot, more so with the 13r mag w/sleeve and would not feel uncomfortable in any way carrying this gun, even being new to the LEM. I did ride the slide release one time and had to re-adjust my grip to stay away from the SR.

I will run another 100/HST through it myself, with the 10r mags she was using, just to see if the malfunctions happen again.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 10-14-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Glad you got out shooting the P30SK.

I never had any specific drills in mind with mine; I just shot what I normally did with my VP9 (Find Your Level, The Test, and 25 yd slow fire for groups.)

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve had no more malfunctions with this gun, and it continues to impress! The slide is at HK getting some TruGlo TFX Pro’s installed. I had some installed on mine,and she liked them.

Normal version of DT. Not DASA.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Normal version of DT. Not DASA.
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    ??
    I ran the normal version of Dot Torture, not the Double Action version. The LEM has the same trigger pull every time so I view it as closer to the “striker” than TDA.

I’m not sure if there’s a right answer for training LEM. Smart, highly experienced shooters seem to treat it differently. Some guys treat the LEM like a striker, some guys treat it like a DA trigger, and some treat it like it’s own animal. I’m not one of the smart guys in the room, but I felt fine running it like a striker action that happened to have a long take up and reset. But that’s me. I didn’t find it terribly complicated. Smarter, more experienced guys than me treat it differently.

The point being, I think the drills you use are entirely dependent on the problems LEM is giving you.
    David S.

We’ve had no more malfunctions with this gun, and it continues to impress! The slide is at HK getting some TruGlo TFX Pro’s installed. I had some installed on mine,and she liked them.
    I love the sight picture with those sights. On mine, however, they regulated 6" over the top of the front sight at 25 with 147 HST. Shooting full sized steel IDPA silhouettes at 50 yards, you had to hold close to the bottom of the target to get center hits. That was with the same set on both a VP9 and a P30SK V1 using WWB 115 and NATO 124. I hope you have better luck with them.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 04-07-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks for clarifying. Having shot a Sig 226 & 229 pretty much exclusively for three years, the LEM really wasn’t much trouble, since the length of the pull is still the same. One issue is getting through the super lite tension (pre travel) and then managing the press through the wall, as smoothly as possible.

It’s safe to say the LEM is very unique, with traits from both SF & DA systems. I can see the rationale for using the SF version of Dot Torture, no argument there.

I treat it as it’s own unique thing, using my DA experience to make accurate shots, but I look forward to perfecting its unique traits.

That being said, I had signed up at the last minute (about 4 weeks out) for Gabe White’s PSS course, and debated on using my P30, since I had only ran about 700 rounds through it at the time, and thought maybe I should just use my 226, since I had MUCH more experience with it. This was compounded by the fact that this was a Interm./Adv. class, and my first big league class. I took a chance and used the HK, even though I hadn’t done very much draw work at all with it. The course was very challenging, and it was the perfect test for me, to see where I stood,and what I needed to improve on. I was fortunate enough to earn a Dark Pin from Gabe, which I honestly did not see coming, but I’m sure my DA experience was a big contributor in my ability to run this new LEM trigger.

I really like the LEM, and so does my wife, who’s main gun is the P30sk (excellent pistol as well).

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I love the sight picture with those sights. On mine, however, they regulated 6" over the top of the front sight at 25 with 147 HST. Shooting full sized steel IDPA silhouettes at 50 yards, you had to hold close to the bottom of the target to get center hits. That was with the same set on both a VP9 and a P30SK V1 using WWB 115 and NATO 124. I hope you have better luck with them.
    Interesting. I haven’t got to shoot mine yet, so I’ll be going next weeeknd, and will keep that in mind, and see if there is any difference in POI.
    Why would that happen, I mean, the sights are made for the gun, it seems they would be made to mimic the factory sights in terms of POA/POI...?

Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 04-07-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Interesting. I haven’t got to shoot mine yet, so I’ll be going next weeeknd, and will keep that in mind, and see if there is any difference in POI.
    Why would that happen, I mean, the sights are made for the gun, it seems they would be made to mimic the factory sights in terms of POA/POI...?

Thanks for the tip.
    I don't really know why. The plain TFX on my Glock 42 are right on the money, though I had to shim the rear because it was loose in the dovetail. I haven't seen a brighter fiber optic sight to date.

ETA: Sorry for the thread drift. I will leave it at this.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 04-07-2019 at 02:20 PM.

User Tag List