Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock MOS RDS install thread (What has worked for me)

Today I found a failure on one of my CHPWS v3 plates.

My Holosun 508T battery was dying (unexpectedly soon...) and so I removed the optic to replace it. I then noticed the threaded posts had sheared off the plate and came out with the screws. The plate has 4275 rounds on it total and I last had the plate off in November, about 2000 rounds ago, so I cannot specifically say when the failure occurred. The gun has not been dropped or otherwise abused. I noticed no loss of zero during that time.

Unfortunately, the MOS plate screws stripped out this morning while trying to remove them... Hooray. I've reinstalled the optic for the time being -- my thought is that the screws plus the bosses on the plate ought to keep it on there. However, I'll probably be replacing the CHPWS plates I have with steel FCD plates once they're available.

Quote Originally Posted by dfeder530 View Post
    Anyone know about the CHPWS V4 RMR MOS plate? They're having a sale on their V3 and curious if it's worth it to wait for the new version supposedly coming in April.

Dammit, I just got my V3.
    Last edited by StraitR; 02-24-2020 at 08:45 PM.

I needed to get rid of the Type 1 RM02, so I'm in it to win it with the V3 plate. We'll see how it holds up. Seems like a better mousetrap than the factory plate (in disassembly, I had very little thread engagement). By the time I need a battery change, it looks like they'll be more than a couple steel plate options.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Today I found a failure on one of my CHPWS v3 plates.

My Holosun 508T battery was dying (unexpectedly soon...) and so I removed the optic to replace it. I then noticed the threaded posts had sheared off the plate and came out with the screws. The plate has 4275 rounds on it total and I last had the plate off in November, about 2000 rounds ago, so I cannot specifically say when the failure occurred. The gun has not been dropped or otherwise abused. I noticed no loss of zero during that time.

Unfortunately, the MOS plate screws stripped out this morning while trying to remove them... Hooray. I've reinstalled the optic for the time being -- my thought is that the screws plus the bosses on the plate ought to keep it on there. However, I'll probably be replacing the CHPWS plates I have with steel FCD plates once they're available.

Are you going to contact C&H to see what they have to say? I would be curious to see what they think.

Just a thought on removing that stripped screw holding the plate to the slide. Heat up a soldering iron and hold it on the screw head for a while to soften the thread locker. Then pound a slightly oversized Torx bit into the rounded hex and see if it will come out. I have had good luck with that in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Are you going to contact C&H to see what they have to say? I would be curious to see what they think.

Just a thought on removing that stripped screw holding the plate to the slide. Heat up a soldering iron and hold it on the screw head for a while to soften the thread locker. Then pound a slightly oversized Torx bit into the rounded hex and see if it will come out. I have had good luck with that in the past.
    I contacted CHPWS. Forgot to mention that in the post, but they are replacing the plate.

They claim that the plate functioned as designed. I didn't ask them to elaborate on that, as I'm not sure what they were referring to.
    Last edited by ssb; 02-24-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dfeder530 View Post
    Anyone know about the CHPWS V4 RMR MOS plate? They're having a sale on their V3 and curious if it's worth it to wait for the new version supposedly coming in April.

http://www.chpws.com/product/holosun...apter-plate-v3
    Is the V4 still aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I contacted CHPWS. Forgot to mention that in the post, but they are replacing the plate.

They claim that the plate functioned as designed. I didn't ask them to elaborate on that, as I'm not sure what they were referring to.
    My guess would be they mean the raised screw holes absorbed the force of recoil and broke off before the screws had a chance to shear off.

Out of curiousity, how tight does the holosun fit on the V3 plate? Is there any gap at all between the front of the plate and the optic or the back of the MOS cut and the optic? Can you take a close up profile picture of the optic on the plate and slide? I just put an SRO on a V3 plate and it definitely makes contact at the front of the plate and back of the MOS cut, which would help distribute force on the front and back surface of the optic body rather than on the optic screws/raised screw holes on the plate. I would imagine if there is any gap between the optic and the front or back of the plate, you will get significantly more shearing force on the screw holes.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

That is a 508t on a v3 c&h plate. I actually was hoping it would be more snug. Quite a bit of play before threadi g the bolts.

Aren't the machined bosses there to take some of the shear load off of the screws, regardless of contact on the outer housing?

User Tag List