Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Border Patrol Stations in NM/West TX

Thanks for all the congratulations. I really appreciate it.

I had a crap show with the NJSP process... especially medical issues related to the academy and their wishes (Type I diabetic, they made me go on an insulin pump... and was a s***show; on a better pump now, and all issues have been resolved). I withdrew because I didn’t like how a lot of their Troopers hated their jobs, and knowing where NJ was headed politically, I really just can’t wait to leave.

In regards to weather, I can deal with a snow storm or two. Few inches, no problem. Past few years, we would get 8” to 10”, shovel out, then another... then another. Cold, I can deal with. Heat... I can deal with (only so much clothes you can legally take off). But I think going to ME wouldn’t be high on my list of places to go. Whichever route I go, a four wheel drive Colorado (diesel) is going to be one of my next major purchases.

To be honest, I just want to go to a state where my gun rights are protected. That is one of my main concerns, as I want to be able to utilize my FFL-03 (NJ, it mainly just gives me discounts). When I get settled, I would want to get a SBR and a suppressor or two.

From what has been said, I think Lordsburg will definitely be one of my choices. I can deal with some traveling to get places, but 90 minutes to a Super Walmart might be a little too far. Is it nice being 10 minutes from most stores? Yes, but I actually prefer less congestion. NYC, Philadelphia... I hate that amount of population density. Even where I’m at... there are developments, but I rather have some distance between neighbors.

In regards to family... it is sort of complicated. When I started the process, I was with my ex... who we were going to move out there together. Broke up with me two weeks prior to me proposing. Is what it is. My current girlfriend, I’m sort of unsure it will work out. She doesn’t want to have anything to do with NM/TX... ME is questionable. She does have a six year old daughter, which is a big consideration... if we can make something work.

How I left it, I asked her to look at each of the eight places, and give me a reason why/why not. If she does that, I at least know that she is attempting to put in some effort (and I’d be willing to discuss ME). If not, I’m going south... and either she can look at where I end up or go back to the dating scene. Sounds cold to say, but I won’t make her move, nor am I picking a position (get stuck with) while she is unsure.

Site Supporter
    The biggest thing you need to be prepared for is a very different culture from NJ. In Texas both Anglo culture and Tejano culture in border areas are heavily influenced by Mexico. It is what it is and it’s not going to change for you.

Some learn the culture and assimilate and some are miserable and last a few years until they can get another job.

How is your Spanish? You will want to know more than what is required for work if you are going to be living in many of the areas you listed.

The Oil Patch is a factor in these areas in that they may drive up rental and real estate prices in places which used to be fairly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Hit me up and I can try to answer any questions you have. Also, with us currently having mobility transferres & swaps (don’t know how long that will last) after you are career conditional (2 years) you may have an opportunity to get somewhere a little more to your liking.
    Thanks.

I’m really unsure where my career will pan out in the long run. I am also siding with BP over CBP for the history. I feel more a part of an agency pushing over 90 years than one that is only 15 years old. Don’t know yet, but would like to find a spot where I’ll spend the bulk of my career.

I had two cousins that were in BP. One didn’t like it, and became a teacher. The other loved it, worked BORSTAR, and eventually transferred over to DEA. He was out in CA, which while might be a little nicer than where I’m looking... I can’t do CA laws. When he moved to DEA, he went to Texas, Puerto Rico, and came back up to Philadelphia (his mom lives up here).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The biggest thing you need to be prepared for is a very different culture from NJ. In Texas both Anglo culture and Tejano culture in border areas are heavily influenced by Mexico. It is what it is and it’s not going to change for you.

Some learn the culture and assimilate and some are miserable and last a few years until they can get another job.

How is your Spanish? You will want to know more than what is required for work if you are going to be living in many of the areas you listed.
    I am ok with different cultures... might need to find a place to get a decent steak every once in a while, but I am sure I can survive.

Spanish, I did it in middle school, high school, and two semesters in college. I didn’t feel confident enough when I took the written test, so did the fake language version... but was more from not using it than not knowing. I know how the verbs work, so was able to transfer that to that “language.”

I used to practice talking with the guys that worked at my ex’s horse farm... but it was difficult due to them barely knowing Spanish themselves. I originally tried to learn Arabic for my language component in college... but Spanish is easier for me than something completely different. Am I fluent to the point where I feel confident I’ll understand everyone? Definitely not, but going to put the effort in and work to get it squared away.

Congrats on the job.

For myself, the desolation of West Texas would be just fine. I'm not a huge social butterfly or a real people person. Now that I'm wrapping up my LE career, if I didn't have my wife and family to consider, someplace with less human interaction and more space would be most welcome. They gave you a list, great. That means they're fooling you into thinking you have any imput. Don't stress too much about where you'll go, you'll always have the chance to transfer once you're within the agency and have a better lay of the land. Just getting the job is the main thing and you've done that.

This will sound hard, but if your current woman isn't in it to win it one hundred percent then leave her where she is. I've seen what you've briefly described time after time during my career and it never ends well. If she's not committed to the relationship and a move across country, she and her kid are baggage you don't need. Look at it this way, you're coming from New Jersey, anywhere is up from there.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Thanks.

I’m really unsure where my career will pan out in the long run. I am also siding with BP over CBP for the history. I feel more a part of an agency pushing over 90 years than one that is only 15 years old. Don’t know yet, but would like to find a spot where I’ll spend the bulk of my career.

I had two cousins that were in BP. One didn’t like it, and became a teacher. The other loved it, worked BORSTAR, and eventually transferred over to DEA. He was out in CA, which while might be a little nicer than where I’m looking... I can’t do CA laws. When he moved to DEA, he went to Texas, Puerto Rico, and came back up to Philadelphia (his mom lives up here).

I am ok with different cultures... might need to find a place to get a decent steak every once in a while, but I am sure I can survive.

Spanish, I did it in middle school, high school, and two semesters in college. I didn’t feel confident enough when I took the written test, so did the fake language version... but was more from not using it than not knowing. I know how the verbs work, so was able to transfer that to that “language.”

I used to practice talking with the guys that worked at my ex’s horse farm... but it was difficult due to them barely knowing Spanish themselves. I originally tried to learn Arabic for my language component in college... but Spanish is easier for me than something completely different. Am I fluent to the point where I feel confident I’ll understand everyone? Definitely not, but going to put the effort in and work to get it squared away.
    It’s not just a different culture, it will be the dominant culture. You will be the outsider, at least for the first couple years.

I’m assuming the guys in the horse farms spoke various Indian languages like Mixtec, Nahuatl etc you see that with Central Americans too, they will be native speakers of Indian languages like Quechua. That’s only really an issue at work. If you live somewhere like Eagle Pass you will be using Spanish off duty as well.

Speaking of culture, USBP is component of CBP and that has had an effect on the BP. When you say “CBP” you are referring to Field Operations which is the former INS and Customs Inspectors. They may have a new uniform and patch but it is not really a new component. Just re-branded.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-13-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    They gave you a list, great. That means they're fooling you into thinking you have any imput. Don't stress too much about where you'll go, you'll always have the chance to transfer once you're within the agency and have a better lay of the land. Just getting the job is the main thing and you've done that.

This will sound hard, but if your current woman isn't in it to win it one hundred percent then leave her where she is. I've seen what you've briefly described time after time during my career and it never ends well. If she's not committed to the relationship and a move across country, she and her kid are baggage you don't need. Look at it this way, you're coming from New Jersey, anywhere is up from there.
    The woman from the hiring center said stations do fill up, but with two... they will make it work for one of them. Won’t know until Monday at the earliest. Whatever happens, I’ll make it work for as long as needed.

And I hear you on the girlfriend. She knew about the move from the start, and sort of supported it. But now, it likely isn’t going to work for her. I don’t have an issue with it... she has a daughter, and that is a big consideration. I just rather know where she stands on it, which is why I wanted her to at least put some effort in and research it. Not going into specifics, but dedication is something that I’ve been questioning with her since it really started to come to a head.

So, as long as my pup is happy... I’m happy. And she tends to be happy with me, so easy. Glad my parents like her too, being they are going to be taking care of her.

It’s not just a different culture, it will be the dominant culture. You will be the outsider, at least for the first couple years.

I’m assuming the guys in the horse farms spoke various Indian languages like Mixtec, Nahuatl etc you see that with Central Americans too, they will be native speakers of Indian languages like Quechua. That’s only really an issue at work. If you live somewhere like Eagle Pass you will be using Spanish off duty as well.

Speaking of culture, USBP is component of CBP and that has had an effect on the BP. When you say “CBP” you are referring to Field Operations which is the former INS and Customs Inspectors. They may have a new uniform and patch but it is not really a new component. Just re-branded.
    Roger that. I appreciate the info, as it is definitely not something I can get off the internet.

The farm workers... I’m not too sure. Part thinks they didn’t understand on purpose, thinking they could get out of work with the language barrier. Other part thinks one or two were actually illiterate. I forget where they originally were from... want to say Guatemala.

+1 on the dominant culture, and you'll always be an outsider. If you're not from there you're not from there. Doesn't mean that you won't be accepted, but you will always be an outsider. Just be ready for that and don't be shocked/offended by it.

I'd recommend learning some history about the area, too. For West TX/NM find some stuff by Leon C. Metz. Law enforcement's history in that area is interesting, and some things never change.

Keep your head down and be a solid dude for your first two years or so, and then go SOD El Paso or SOG as soon as possible. El Paso is the place to live if you want to be in a "nice border city." EPT has a lot of opportunities there because the Patrol has some of their national training centers there.

Uncle Sam will most definitely get his (and then some) out of you on the SW border. Some real work to be done down there. You'll learn to love the smell of the desert (chaparral bushes) after a rain. Congratulations and Good Luck.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

I can't advise you on any of the BP stations, but I'm going to presume to offer you advice on the girlfriend.

I quit the active duty military, and one of the reasons I quit law enforcement was to make an ill-conceived marriage work.

Being a cop's spouse is tough. If this isn't a rock-solid relationship, I would encourage you to either hang up the relationship or not go to work for the BP. If you want to try to manage both an uncertain relationship and a new career in law enforcement, I would encourage you to just go slam your balls in a car door. It will hurt less and the pain will be over with sooner.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Well, don’t need to go that extreme... just found out that she isn’t going to any of the nine places (ME, either). I knew it, but really for the best.

In regards to the position, I have it narrowed down to three; Lordsburg, Eagle Pass, and Carrizo Springs. Kind of leaning towards dropping Carrizo Springs from the list. Sad to say, but Eagle Pass won out over a Super Walmart (Carrizo Springs has a regular one). [emoji23]

But I still want to look around Lordsburg a little more. If I drop that, the other two are within an hour from each other.

I lived in El Paso, my now wife was in Sierra Vista Az, Lordsburg is in between. I trained troops from Bliss, one of the places we trained "certain folks" was a place called Playas, NM. I can tell you that the area around Lordsburg, there is nothing. It is one of the most desolate places in North America. You are at least an hour from Wilcox, AZ and an hour from Deming, NM. Lordsburg has a pop. Of maybe 200. Deming and Wilcox a little more.

If you like being alone, it's a great place. If you like something more, avoid Lordsburg.

User Tag List