Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using nail polish for a front sight

Vending Machine Operator

Using nail polish for a front sight

I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 for a while back just for kicks because it was cheap and I liked it. I haven't even shot it yet and the white of the front sight fell out. Mild bummer but since I never intended to carry this seriously I'm not that out of sorts about it.

I want to use orange nail polish for the front sight. Is it just as simple as buying some, applying it gently, and waiting for it to dry, or is there some sort of layering process I need to do to make sure it sticks?

Thanks.

-LB
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Just clean/de-grease the sight with solvent and let it dry before applying the color. At least that's what I've done in the past and it worked fine.

Some folks like to use a white base layer, followed by the color or their choice.

After initially experimenting with nail polish, I now prefer colored model paint. I buy it from the hardware store.
    And I'm a little clumsy, so I use masking tape to keep the paint off the slide.

Color

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 for a while back just for kicks because it was cheap and I liked it. I haven't even shot it yet and the white of the front sight fell out. Mild bummer but since I never intended to carry this seriously I'm not that out of sorts about it.

I want to use orange nail polish for the front sight. Is it just as simple as buying some, applying it gently, and waiting for it to dry, or is there some sort of layering process I need to do to make sure it sticks?

Thanks.

-LB
    Ruger actually uses model paint at the factory for their pistols. Cleaning and then prepping with rubbing alcohol is the most effective. Applying it with the point of a toothpick after masking taping is helpful.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 10-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.

I use an orange acrylic paint pen from a craft store. Clean the sight off with some rubbing alcohol before applying.

I get about 6 months out of mine before needing to reapply. Nail polish would probably last longer.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Some folks like to use a white base layer, followed by the color or their choice.

After initially experimenting with nail polish, I now prefer colored model paint. I buy it from the hardware store.
    And I'm a little clumsy, so I use masking tape to keep the paint off the slide.
    This.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, couple of layers of white model paint for the base layer and then a couple of whatever color I want.
    Adam

I use Testors enamel model paint. My process is simple:

1) De-grease the surface to be painted with isopropyl alcohol.

2) Apply painter's tape below area to be painted.

3) Apply white paint as a base. Let dry overnight. If the base coat is thick, drying can take two days. Excess can be removed with the isopropyl alcohol before it dries.

5) Paint with desired color (I like 1173 fluorescent orange). Let dry overnight.

6) Gently remove painter's tape.

Site Supporter
    I am a simple man, I de grease and use some 'Hot tamale" fingernail polish from walmart. I apply slowing, using the supplied brush. I let dry over night and can trim of any excess/overrun with a razor blade, exacto knife etc.
    Bottom line IMHO, any red/orange fingernail polish will work just fine, even the ones with glitter if you already happen to have it lying around.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sally-Han...amale/35282101

User Tag List