Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 43 failure to return to battery--really strange problem.

Site Supporter

Glock 43 failure to return to battery--really strange problem.

Today I took my G43 to the range. The gun is less than a year old and had only 383 rounds through it when I got to the range. I shot up the 124 gr Gold Dots that I keep in the pistol and then switched to 124 gr American Eagle or 115 gr. Aguila. (I'm not sure which. I shot some of both this afternoon.) After I'd put a few mags of range ammo through the pistol, the gun the gun failed to fully return to battery during the middle of a mag. I tapped on the back of the slide and it still didn't return to battery. Then I tapped the back of the slide a bit harder and nothing changed. I removed the mag, and ran the slide by hand to eject the round in the chamber. When the slide went forward on an empty chamber, the gun still didn't return to battery. I cycled the slide again and that time the gun went into battery. Then I removed the slide and lubed the rails.

I shot another ~80 rounds. Again the gun failed to go into battery, and tapping the back of the slide wasn't enough to fix it. The slide was almost all the way forward. It stops right before or maybe during the vertical travel of the rear of the barrel during locking. It's almost like the slide is binding on something or like there something interfering with travel of the barrel lug over the locking block.

I've done nothing to the gun besides clean it. I haven't replaced any parts or even detailed stripped the pistol yet. Total round count through the pistol currently stands at 537. If anyone else has any theories as to what the problem might be, I'd certainly appreciate their input.

Did you thoroughly inspect the recoil spring and guide rod?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Did you thoroughly inspect the recoil spring and guide rod?
    Yes. They both look normal to me. Everything looks normal. It's very puzzling.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Did you inspect your locking block for cracks, block pin for deformity, and your slide lock to make sure it was in good condition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Have heard it said that plunger bar and spring acting against extractor can cause this problem. Remove these including extractor to see if it makes a difference in working the slide.

Glock 43 failure to return to battery--really strange problem.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Have heard it said that plunger bar and spring acting against extractor can cause this problem. Remove these including extractor to see if it makes a difference in working the slide.
    This. Remove back plate, striker, extractor and all assemblies, then plunger and plunger spring. Remove and re-insert the plunger spring (I’m willing to bet it’s already loose). Reassemble.
    Last edited by tgoldie00; 10-06-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, all. I will take the gun apart today and check everything that's been mentioned. Last night, I did look very closely at the locking block and based on what I can see with the locking block in place in the frame, the locking block appears intact. I'll let you know what I find.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoldie00 View Post
    This. Remove back plate, striker, extractor and all assemblies, then plunger and plunger spring. Remove and re-insert the plunger spring (I’m willing to bet it’s already loose). Reassemble.
    You both called it. The spring was still attached to the plunger but just barely. I removed the spring from the plunger, firmly reseated it, meticulously cleaned the slide and small parts, and reassembled. I didn't see anything in the frame that looked out of the ordinary. Hopefully I can make it back to the range tomorrow afternoon to test for function. Thanks very much for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    You both called it. The spring was still attached to the plunger but just barely. I removed the spring from the plunger, firmly reseated it, meticulously cleaned the slide and small parts, and reassembled. I didn't see anything in the frame that looked out of the ordinary. Hopefully I can make it back to the range tomorrow afternoon to test for function. Thanks very much for the advice.
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes...I hope we were correct and your problem is resolved (and very simply). I have had the same problem before on one of my Glock 19s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoldie00 View Post
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes...I hope we were correct and your problem is resolved (and very simply). I have had the same problem before on one of my Glock 19s.
    Thanks! I'll definitely let you know. Was the problem with your G19 a single event or did it recur?

User Tag List