Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP Carbine/SBR Build

Another friend furnished the $250 for his department to acquire an Army-to-County Thompson, which the Sheriff then "issued" to him.
    But that wasn't 21st century New York.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I totally get the appeal of PCC, and LOVE the .45 ACP - always looking for one that can knock my G19 out of my holster (hasn't happened yet). In your shoes, just to avoid NFA stuff, I'd consider an AR platform pistol with brace in .45 ACP. PSA makes a dedicated GLOCK lower for .45 magazines - hard to argue with 13 round G21 mags...

I know you're dead set on .45, but you're going to hear a lot of good advice suggesting 9mm PCC options - even harder to argue with a Glock specific lower that can feed of 33 round mags. There's little/no performance improvement in the .45 over the 9mm out of carbines, so...

Better yet, 25rd mags, compliments of Kriss... https://kriss-usa.com/store/magazine...1-magazine-193

UMP conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I don't know of another gas operated PCC but CMMG has Radial Delayed Blowback which I think uses beveled locking lugs to slow things down a bit. Don't know if it does much at .45 pressures.
    Check out Macon Armory...

https://www.maconarmory.com/

They do D/I .45 uppers. They also have their own 20 round AR magazines/adapter that use standard lowers.

Currently, I have it using 10 round H&K USC magazines... which also fit a standard lower. Keeping them, and once I move out of NJ, I’ll buy a few of the 20 rounders (have the adapter already... which uses the standard magazine release).

Can really lower the weight going D/I over blowback.

First: Look at the SAAMI standards, there is no ".45ACP", it is correctly termed ".45 Auto".

Next, what benefits are gained from a service-pistol caliber semi-auto PCC or braced "pistol" as a defensive firearm?

If I can get a long-gun, I'd much rather have it in something offering better terminal performance than a service-pistol: 12 ga, .44 Mag lever gun, USGI .30 carbine, 5.56 mm, 7.62x39mm, .300 BLK, .30-30 lever gun, 6.8 mm, to list a few...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I love pistol caliber carbines for training, competition and general wow factor. Who doesn’t dig an HK 9mm with a brace. However, when you consider they are still shooting semi auto service rounds, the complexity of carrying them with you, and how close the performance delta is to an easier to carry service pistol with a dot, I don’t get them for defense compared to something like a fairly similar size .300 BLK or other rifle caliber.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Preach it!
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    That exemption applies to personally owned, non-duty use weapons? I’d be shocked if so - especially anywhere in the north east. Most exemptions like that are for weapons used in the course of your job. If your agency head will back you and say you needed a 45acp SBR for work more power to you. But I’d read the statute carefully before buying or building anything.
    This. ^^^

Even if you are exempt NY state’s Assault Weapons Ban / SAFE Act, all NFA items, even Agency Owned Weapons are subject to the NFA.

Even with Agency Owned Weapons, you are supposed to field a Form 5 if you convert an Agency Owned title 1 firearm to an NFA item.

I am thankfully no longer up on NY’s inane gunlaws but is your “exemption” still valid if you resign, retire, etc ?

In general, to obtain a tax stamp for an NFA item, the item must be otherwise legal under state and local law.

You can check with the industry compliance / inspections section of your local ATF office but I do not beleive ATF will issue a tax stamp for an individually owned item which is only legal under state law while you are an LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This. ^^^

Even if you are exempt NY state’s Assault Weapons Ban / SAFE Act, all NFA items, even Agency Owned Weapons are subject to the NFA.

Even with Agency Owned Weapons, you are supposed to field a Form 5 if you convert an Agency Owned title 1 firearm to an NFA item.

I am thankfully no longer up on NY’s inane gunlaws but is your “exemption” still valid if you resign, retire, etc ?

In general, to obtain a tax stamp for an NFA item, the item must be otherwise legal under state and local law.

You can check with the industry compliance / inspections section of your local ATF office but I do not beleive ATF will issue a tax stamp for an individually owned item which is only legal under state law while you are an LEO.
    AFT wouldn’t issue me a stamp several years ago when I was looking to play around in the NFA world. This would’ve been to a trust, prior to 41p. I don’t know if this was specifically due to the state LE exemption issue; the ATF guy I spoke with did mention the NY AG’s office having previously expressed an issue with NFA items for individual LE. I never looked into it beyond that; my interest waned and, frankly, to me the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. Not in this state, anyway. I took my tax stamp money and put it into my “move TF out of here when I retire” fund. Seemed like a better use of the money.
    Also, FWIW, in the course of a casual conversation with a class III dealer downstate, he was floored at the thought of an NFA transfer being approved for an individual, as opposed to an agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    AFT wouldn’t issue me a stamp several years ago when I was looking to play around in the NFA world. This would’ve been to a trust, prior to 41p. I don’t know if this was specifically due to the state LE exemption issue; the ATF guy I spoke with did mention the NY AG’s office having previously expressed an issue with NFA items for individual LE. I never looked into it beyond that; my interest waned and, frankly, to me the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. Not in this state, anyway. I took my tax stamp money and put it into my “move TF out of here when I retire” fund. Seemed like a better use of the money.
    Also, FWIW, in the course of a casual conversation with a class III dealer downstate, he was floored at the thought of an NFA transfer being approved for an individual, as opposed to an agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not surprised.

Re: individual- I was referencing and individual vs a trust.

Even if it was possible to get a tax stamp it would have to be as an individual You couldn’t do a trust for an item that is LEO only in your state because your trust, the legal entity which legally owns the item, isn’t an LEO.

Guys get carried away with the whole “I’m exempt” thing and are shocked when they get jammed up for putting short barrels / uppers on Agency and personally owned title 1 Firearms.

User Tag List