Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP Carbine/SBR Build

.45 ACP Carbine/SBR Build

I'm looking to do a carbine or SBR build in .45ACP. I'm trying to decide a few things and would appreciate any information people may have.

1) I'm trying to decide if I should build this as a 16 inch carbine, or start as an 8-10 inch pistol and do a stamp on it later to convert it into an SBR. I was checking ballistics by the inch and based on their numbers .45 has velocity gain all the way up to 16 inches, but seems to produce good velocities in the 8-10 inch range as well. I'm thinking of putting a can on this project at some point down the road, but for now, it won't wear one. Curious what others thoughts are on this. Also, how much of a pain wll it be to go through the NFA paper work to convert a pistol to an SBR? Seems to be just a matter of filing the paper work and waiting on Uncle Sam.

2) Which is better in a PCC- direct impingment or blow back? I would like to also explore a piston operation, but other than the Flint River CSA45 I don't see any uppers like that. I don't foresee myself using anything like .450SMC so probably just standard pressure or +P rated ammo.

I see most lowers are made to accept Glock mags. I am open to other mag sourcing options.

I'm new to the PCC arena and also new to NFA territory. I'm consolidating my personal defense weapons to common caliber and I prefer .45ACP. I'm not looking for any caliber wars- I'm settled on .45. This is going to be for home defense/truck gun.

Thanks for any input.

I don't believe NY allows any NFA stuff but it's been a while since I've looked.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I don't believe NY allows any NFA stuff but it's been a while since I've looked.
    I'm LE so I'm exempt.

I totally get the appeal of PCC, and LOVE the .45 ACP - always looking for one that can knock my G19 out of my holster (hasn't happened yet). In your shoes, just to avoid NFA stuff, I'd consider an AR platform pistol with brace in .45 ACP. PSA makes a dedicated GLOCK lower for .45 magazines - hard to argue with 13 round G21 mags...

I know you're dead set on .45, but you're going to hear a lot of good advice suggesting 9mm PCC options - even harder to argue with a Glock specific lower that can feed of 33 round mags. There's little/no performance improvement in the .45 over the 9mm out of carbines, so...

Site Supporter
    A semi-auto Thompson with a 10” barrel would be SO cool, albeit impractical.

I’ll be adding one of these 1Q next year:

https://www.cmmginc.com/product/pist...45-pdw-45-acp/

Pistol w/ SB Tactical brace avoids the NFA dance, and since it’s a pistol, can legally be carried loaded in a vehicle in most places (rifles generally can’t). The shorter (less than 16”) barrel will be much handier, especially if add a can.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

A friend had about decided to SBR his AR "pistol" but the dealer showed him the latest in "braces" and he is going with that to save the time and money of a stamp.

I don't know of another gas operated PCC but CMMG has Radial Delayed Blowback which I think uses beveled locking lugs to slow things down a bit. Don't know if it does much at .45 pressures.

Seems like somebody would make a modern .45 PCC for Thompson magazines, but it looks like Glock is what there is. There is an offbrand 26 shot magazine for fun if not for business.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Doubled
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 10-12-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Doubled
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I'm LE so I'm exempt.
    Happy I live in a free state and collect nfa items.....with that said leo’s should not have special rights in restricted states beyond those of the civilian population.

As far as a 45acp sbr, ar15 style options are very limited and sometimes problematic. For 45 a short barrel Thompson is my personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I'm LE so I'm exempt.
    That exemption applies to personally owned, non-duty use weapons? I’d be shocked if so - especially anywhere in the north east. Most exemptions like that are for weapons used in the course of your job. If your agency head will back you and say you needed a 45acp SBR for work more power to you. But I’d read the statute carefully before buying or building anything.

User Tag List