Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft nerds and gamers......

I’m going to do the lamest thing ever below, but I need an assist.

I don’t know a damn thing about computers, but I do know that I absolutely have to have this simulation. Can someone dump a link in here for an off the shelf computer I can buy that will not devistate my finances and will let me really enjoy this awesome thing? Enjoying this simulation is literally the only thing this computer will ever be used for.

Thanks a million to whoever holds my hand on this.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

For the recommended system requirements:

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (HIGH GRAPHICS SETTINGS):
    - OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10
    - DirectX11
    - CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz
    - RAM: 16GB (32 GB for multiplayer)
    - Hard disk space: 60 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD)
    - Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 / ATI R9 Fury DirectX11 or better
    - Joystick
    - Requires internet activation.

I don't have a solid state drive and only 16GB RAM and it runs just fine but those are like they say, the recommended base system requirements so the game is running smoothly and properly.

You'll also want a stick or preferably HOTAS (stick + throttle) which can be the aforementioned Thrustmaster T.16000M or something similar. There's also stuff like the excellent Thrustmaster Warthog if you want something that will provide much more functionality, but the price reflects that. Some sticks like the T.1600 also provide a twist grip to simulate rudder pedals, but if you have a more realistic device like the Warthog you'll need dedicated physical pedals (plenty of companies make USB ones).

Even more than that while you can look around with a mouse or HAT switch I recommend buying a TrackIR if you're going to do this long-ish term. It's a little camera thing that goes on top of your computer screen and tracks little reflective stickers on a baseball cap or headset that translates your physical real-world head movement into head movement in the simulator. VR headsets also work but they're much more expensive and require a faster system to run. You'll look like a fucking dork but it's really convenient; welcome to video games

There can be a little bit of overhead involved in getting set up with the "usual" equipment common with flight sims these days, but the target demographic is usually people old enough to hold jobs so it's not so bad if you're into it. Then again, if you're only screwing around with it with a mouse and keyboard to see if it'll run on your machine that works too.
    Last edited by Peally; 10-12-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I read the title of this thread multiple times today.

And just now realized it says, "Aircraft nerds..."

I read it at least half a dozen times as "Airsoft nerds..."

I'm not running at 100% today.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm not running at 100% today.
    Just today?

You guys know that there are entire career fields dedicated to using and testing these same types of systems for the military and commercial operators? Pays pretty well too...

http://www.navair.navy.mil/nawctsd/0...ngsystems.html

http://www.peostri.army.mil/peo-stri-overview

http://www.iitsec.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Just today?
    Probably not. I had mono about 10 years ago and at one point I had a fever of 105 "after I had cooled down some". My wife swears I've never been the same since then.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-12-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    You guys know that there are entire career fields dedicated to using and testing these same types of systems for the military and commercial operators? Pays pretty well too...

http://www.navair.navy.mil/nawctsd/0...ngsystems.html

http://www.peostri.army.mil/peo-stri-overview

http://www.iitsec.org/
    I imagine they operate under the same mantra as our tech people: "Bringing you yesterday's technology, tomorrow".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

<snip>

F/A-18 Hornet (creative title) were my favorite.

<snip>
    I wasted a lot of time playing that in college, as well as all the MicroProse F-xx titles, including M1 Tank Platoon and the ever cheesy Airborne Ranger.

Lately, I've been a console gamer so I can play on-line with my girlfriend and nephews.

This looks very interesting and may get me back into PC gaming. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I imagine they operate under the same mantra as our tech people: "Bringing you yesterday's technology, tomorrow".
    Not really. Most of the tech they're using for simulation is cutting edge as civilian market can't afford it. The pics from the website in the OP look like the low end graphical flight simulators used for classroom instruction before heading into the bigger Sims.

But for other stuff yeah, they're behind(especially their IT). I remember being on a conference call in like 2009-2010 discussing issues with my company's discrepancy tracking system with nawc-tsd local IT. We couldn't reproduce any of the problems they were having. Finally our IT guy asked "what OS & browser are you running" because we were testing on Win7 & Chrome. They're response, " the most secure combination to date, Win XP & iExplorer 8". We all looked at each other sides ways. Ok, it'll be a few days to check compatibility...

So yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Eagle Dynamics originally made the A-10 module for military training purposes and just ended up tweaking it for the civilian market. Bit like how Arma eventually evolved alongside VBS1 and 2.

Of course, playing DCS and Arma is slightly less commitment than signing up for a few years of enlisted fun
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List