Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Paranoia, leftism, and "legalized" marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    It’s hard to tell. There have been 39 studies - 16 support substitution, 10 support complementarity, 12 support neither, and 1 supports both.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27249324/
    There’s nothing “hard to tell” about what I posted - booze distributors have seen sales decline in every state that legalizes weed.

You’ll notice I didn’t say anything else, just pointing out the fact. I’m sure people will use that reach whatever conclusion they’ve already decided on in their head.
    Last edited by jetfire; 10-18-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Stats made simple....

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    The last election showed most Americans don't understand statistics worth a damn. Trump was showing about a 30-33% chance of winning in most polls, IIRC. Giving him the same chance of winning as a Russian Roulette player has of loosing with two full chambers in a six shooter. Would anyone but a suicidal fool take those odds?

Not a veiled commentary on the Orange Overlord, I promise.
    I still remember my college stats prof starting the class with this... "Statistically speaking, the average American has one breast and one testicle..."

I still remember my college stats prof starting the class with this... "Statistically speaking, the average American has one breast and one testicle..."
    How many breasticles does it take to create just one honest congress critter...?

I guess this is what we'll all be wearing in the brave new world. Except for Pocahontas. She can wear a breechcloth in keeping with her traditions and culture..

Last edited by blues; 10-18-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I saw mention of one complementing the other. Having supervised a few dope fiends, I learned that some enjoy drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana at the same time, but to my amazement, a few took the muscle relaxer Soma in conjunction with the other two. I thought that these guys must have a really big tolerance level. But then I remembered that they also were heroin addicts. Their age was 14, and each had been using heroin since age 12. Somewhere under the umbrella of illicit drug use, there is a point that the issue becomes a big deal. I think that maijuana is a gateway drug leading to use of hard drugs. If so, then its use is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    There’s nothing “hard to tell” about what I posted - booze distributors have seen sales decline in every state that legalizes weed.

You’ll notice I didn’t say anything else, just pointing out the fact. I’m sure people will use that reach whatever conclusion they’ve already decided on in their head.
    It’s hard to tell because the best (only?) study looking at this examined alcohol sales at grocery and convenience stores and reportedly found a 15% reduction in monthly alcohol sales between 2006-2015. This was a surprisingly large effect for medical cannabis programs that typically involve less than 1% of the state’s population. Moreover, this paper’s findings were somewhat contradicted by relatively stable alcohol tax revenues in CO and WA since retail cannabis stores opened in 2014. As for people reaching conclusions, tell that to the authors of that study as most of there discussion was dedicated to the notion of substitution (and picked up by every liberal rag on the market that treated the findings as gospel).
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Name:  6B14CCD5-4F94-4D30-9BE3-EF61B3E620EE.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  43.7 KB

^^^Just not nearly as well as promised.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I saw mention of one complementing the other. Having supervised a few dope fiends, I learned that some enjoy drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana at the same time, but to my amazement, a few took the muscle relaxer Soma in conjunction with the other two. I thought that these guys must have a really big tolerance level. But then I remembered that they also were heroin addicts. Their age was 14, and each had been using heroin since age 12. Somewhere under the umbrella of illicit drug use, there is a point that the issue becomes a big deal. I think that maijuana is a gateway drug leading to use of hard drugs. If so, then its use is a big deal.
    There is a lot of cross tolerance between alcohol, benzos, and barbiturates since they all have direct effects on GABA receptors. I understand the is a small amount of cross tolerance between alcohol and opiates as alcohol modulates the mu opioid receptors (those are the one that give you liquid muscles and make you think that all women adore you when you’re naked). I’m not aware of large cross tolerance between pot and opiates or alcohol.

I’m also unconvinced that pot is a gateway drug. It is very plausible at higher doses and frequent use, but there are a bunch of non-pharm confounders.

My opposition to widespread drug decriminalization centers around the fact that we are now a nanny state with relatively few people on the top supporting the lifestyle of a growing bottom (among a vanishing middle class). That growing bottom half is increasing addicted and intoxicated by a variety of substances. If my pointing out that basic truth pisses someone off because they think I’m demeaning all low income earners - grow up. Having an addicted, compliant lower class is exactly what progressives want. The same people who covered for the pharmaceutical and physician industries as they pumped unfathomable amounts of opiates and benzos (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin) into our society are the exact same people promising drug treatment programs if elected. They would also love nothing more than to turn marijuana into a cash cow tax industry that disproportionately harms the lower class just like gambling and lotteries.

10% of America has a substance use disorder. Another 10% is vulnerable due to physical dependence on prescribed opiates, benzos, or muscle relaxers (Soma, flexeril, etc.). Think about that - 15-20% of America couldn’t pass a piss or breath test most days of the week.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-19-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Site Supporter
    Since minorities are over represented in the addicted lower class that you describe, your premise is one that can't be discussed unless you work in a morgue and are talking to the dead. Otherwise, this topic is career suicide. Why? Race politics soon control any discussion. Been there, seen that. When issues can't be discussed, then they will not be resolved. My school district's achievement scores rank within the bottom 25% in Texas. Reason given: teachers who don't know how to work with minority students. 32 years ago when I first joined the faculty, vast numbers forgot their teachers' names and class schedules over the two week Christmas holiday. Reason given: teachers who don't know how to work with minority students. Now, both the students and teachers are dumber. Reason given: ................

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Since minorities are over represented in the addicted lower class that you describe, your premise is one that can't be discussed unless you work in a morgue and are talking to the dead. Otherwise, this topic is career suicide................
    Come out of the 90s Homie.

Gang bangers killing each other over crack may still be popular with urban youths, but times have changed. The opioid epidemic has been the scourge of poor whites, culling trailer parks from Appalachia to Modesto. That is a big part of why we are seeing a narrowing of the life expectancy gap between blacks and whites.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-19-2018 at 09:51 PM.

User Tag List