Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you switched to a TLR-7?

Have you switched to a TLR-7?

I’m currently using an M&P45 (4in Mid Size) with a TLR-7 mounted. I carry it in an Alpha Concealment Cyclops. The gun hides just fine. At times it can be a bit bulky and heavy. I’ve thought about switching to a TLR-7 to save some size and weight. However, I like the stand-off ability the TLR-1 provides. I know the 7 is not as bright as the 1, it for the size/weight savings I’m wondering if it’s worth it. Anyone switched and if so, how do you feel about it? Thanks.
    Last edited by Hot Cereal; 10-11-2018 at 08:27 AM.

TLR-1's range from 300 fo 800 lumens, depending on the model, so it isn't necessarily more powerful than the 500 lumen TLR-7. But 500 lumens is plenty for a handgun. The weight is savings is negligible, under 2 oz (plus an oz or so for the second battery on the TLR-1). If you like the TLR-1's length, I don't see a reason to switch.

When I switched, it actually was a smaller light... as I went from the TLR-3 on my Glock 30S.

I’m not too knowledgeable with fitment on the M&Ps, but I did notice that on my original M&P40 Compact, the trigger guard canted the light.

I have one of the PX4 Compact keys on order, so maybe I get lucky and it works out better on that pistol. If not, I have other compact weapon lights for it.

Very happy with it, even though I prefer the controls on the TLR-1. Waterproof is a moot point for me. Brightness... 500 Lumens is bright enough. I do like the battery coming out the front, then having to pull it (probably better for those running the TLR-8).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I’m currently using an M&P45 (4in Mid Size) with a TLR-7 mounted. I carry it in an Alpha Concealment Cyclops. The gun hides just fine. At times it can be a bit bulky and heavy. I’ve thought about switching to a TLR-7 to save some size and weight. However, I like the stand-off ability the TLR-1 provides. I know the 7 is not as bright as the 1, it for the size/weight savings I’m wondering if it’s worth it. Anyone switched and if so, how do you feel about it? Thanks.
    I've used TLR-1HL for years. I have one on my wife's HD G-19 and one on my old duty weapon a G-22. I was using one for AIWB but did find the extra length of the TLR-1 would press into my right leg and groin area. I recently switched to the TLR-7, which is more comfortable due to being even with the muzzle of my G-19. While 500 lumens isn't as bright as 800 obviously, I find the TLR-7 does the job for EDC. For duty, HD, or OWB carry I will continue to use my TLR-1HL lights.

Hope this helps.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I have the HL and it extends about an inch past the muzzle. I’ve thought about trying AIWB, but that extra length would dig into my leg. As it is, the light extends into my rear hip pocket making it difficult to get things inans out of it.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I wouldn't use a TLR-7 as a duty light or dedicated OWB/non-concealed light, but I am very impressed with the overall compact size vs. performance of my TLR-7. Playing around in the driveway with it last night, the performance was excellent. The hot spot is not as intense as it's full size counter parts but it is excellent for a small dedicated EDC light. Mine will be used for my EDC Glocks once I receive my JMCK holster. If I was carrying a Glock 19 length pistol and worked plain clothes at work, I would default to this light without hesitation.

I imagine this light would mount properly to an M&P45. The rail is full length. I can't imagine any issues.

I wonder if Streamlight will come out with a version of this light with a more focused hot spot/higher candela output. A 500 lumen light with a tighter hot spot would be a fine duty light.
    Last edited by Hot Cereal; 10-11-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Because of hand placement, I've put the TLR7/8 on my Glocks. I'm keeping my APL/APL-c for my Sigs. I really like everything about the TLR7, but cannot naturally reach the controls when mounted on a P229, but naturally reach it when mounted on a G19.

I too have a PX4c TLR7 key coming my way. I'm excited to try it out and see if I'll have any reach issues with that combo. I carved up my PX4 full size to accommodate the paddles of the APL, so too late for that gun...

I played it one some today - is it possible to just gut that worthless strobe function? It was the only thing I genuinely did not like about it.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    I played it one some today - is it possible to just gut that worthless strobe function? It was the only thing I genuinely did not like about it.
    Strobe Enable/Disable

The TLR-7[emoji768] and TLR-8[emoji768] ship from the factory with the strobe mode disabled. To enable strobe, starting from the “Off” position, tap either switch very rapidly 9 times (within 1⁄4 second per tap) and hold down on the 10th time. Hold the switch until the light turns off (about one second) which indicates reprogramming was successful. Repeat the procedure above
    to disable strobe mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List