Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you switched to a TLR-7?

Issued, and required to use, a TLR-7A. TLR-7A has 5000 candela, and TLR-1HL has 20,000. I'd put the TLR-1HL on my pistol if given the option. That said its better than nothing.

I just dropped one of those 16340s in my TLR7-Sub to try. My back fence is 40yds away and at that distance the TLR7-Sub with that battery blows my brightest X300U with fresh CR123s out of the water for beam intensity and spill. Wow. Wonder what that will do for the emitter life. Not that those lights are crazy expensive to replace but it would be nice to know they aren't going to blow when needed.

Also tried one in a TLR7A and it was not as bright as the Sub. It's an older TLR7A so I assume Streamlight has made some upgrades to their light LEDs over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've been testing using a 16340 3.7V rechargeable in the TLR7 and TLR8, and so far it's working really well. Light output is significantly brighter, subjectively comparable to a 1000 lumen light. I left a TLR7 on for 20 min continuously, way longer than I typically use WMLs. The aluminum housing was hot to the touch, and does a good job of dissipating heat. 20 min drained 425mAh, so runtime should be around 30-40min. (This is not recommended by the manufacturer. Use at your own risk). @NH Shooter
    Last edited by vandal; 11-14-2022 at 10:49 PM.

TLR-8g/16340 update: I was at a 2-day nighttime carbine/pistol course. I used my P-07 with a TLR-8g (high switch) and a 16340. Everyone else had recent model 2-cell Surefire or Modlights. One cell lasted me the entire class (it was cold, ~15F), and the light output was comparable to the others, although the TLR8 has a much more diffuse beam. I had no difficulty engaging targets to 20yds in full darkness, with a lot of smoke.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What specific 16340 do we like for this application? I'm generally against the idea of rechargeable ONLY lights (eg internal rechargeable batteries) since I've been in situations where the inability to have power led to not being able to recharge. But in a TLR8, I can always just pop in a standard CR123 if the power is out for an extended period...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    What specific 16340 do we like for this application? I'm generally against the idea of rechargeable ONLY lights (eg internal rechargeable batteries) since I've been in situations where the inability to have power led to not being able to recharge. But in a TLR8, I can always just pop in a standard CR123 if the power is out for an extended period...
    I think the Orbtronic is the best one right now?
    https://www.orbtronic.com/16340-batt...le-best-li-ion

I think the Orbtronic is the best one right now?
    https://www.orbtronic.com/16340-batt...le-best-li-ion
    I have a few of these and i think they may be a tiny bit longer that a standard cr123. They work in everything I’ve tried but X300Us. The x300u wont quite close and latch with these in them. (I can get them to work still by forcing the light on the rail until the rail slot catches and holds the light in place). [emoji2369]ymmv

CF have you tried these in the tlrs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    I have a few of these and i think they may be a tiny bit longer that a standard cr123. They work in everything I’ve tried but X300Us. The x300u wont quite close and latch with these in them. (I can get them to work still by forcing the light on the rail until the rail slot catches and holds the light in place). [emoji2369]ymmv

CF have you tried these in the tlrs?

Yep. That’s what I used.

Yep. That’s what I used.
    Awesome! I saw those red ones in your pictures so i just wanted to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    Awesome! I saw those red ones in your pictures so i just wanted to be sure.
    Yeah, that was confusing. I have a bunch of unprotected eFest 16340s and used those for testing.

If anyone is looking for a great deal on a TLR-8, Joe Bob has them on sale for $175. That's the best price I've seen on a TLR-8. https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/STR...edium=campaign

User Tag List