Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: CT Gun Laws

RFI: CT Gun Laws

Growing possibility that we may relocate to CT. Not there yet, but it might happen - in the interview process with a potential employer.

A few questions;

1. I've read that CT is a "shall issue" state for carry permits. This sounds encouraging, but does the license process require minimum time of residence or local character references? Any insight on the CCW licensing process is appreciated, as well as how long it typically takes.

2. I already know that AR rifles are a no-go. Does that include AR pistols? I have one on a BCM pistol lower.

TIA for any advice or insight!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 10-11-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Growing possibility that we may relocate to CT. Not there yet, but it might happen - in the interview process with a potential employer.

A few questions;

1. I've read that CT is a "shall issue" state for carry permits. This sounds encouraging, but does the license process require minimum time of residence or local character references? Any insight on the CCW licensing process is appreciated, as well as how long it typically takes.

2. I already know that AR rifles are a no-go. Does that include AR pistols? I have one on a BCM pistol lower.

TIA for any advice or insight!
    A friend of mine stuck there has a pre-94 AR-15. Pre-94 AR's and AK's etc are legal without registration and can be sold/transferred within the state. Post-94 stuff has to have been registered in 2014 to be lawfully owned and cannot be transferred to anyone except an FFL for out of state sale.
    Mags over 10 rounds are severely restricted and each "Large Capacity Magazine' was supposed to be registered in early 2013. Even if someone has a carry permit and a lawfully registered 'LCM' they cannot lawfully carry it with more than 10 rounds loaded.

He tells me there's massive noncompliance, but the laws are the laws, and I personally wouldn't risk running afoul of those laws.
    But it'd take an incredibly exceptional job offer to get me to even entertain the notion of living there.

1. Shall issue in name only. First step is to get a local permit approved by local authorities, then submit for the state permit. It's usually not an issue but is a way for especially anti-gun communities to limit gun rights.

2. I don't believe you can bring in an AR in any configuration from outside the state. HOWEVER---there's a series of ARs called "others" (basically, pistol ARs with 12.5 inch barrels, vertical foregrip, brace and brake) that are in fact legal to buy and own. There's a couple in-state gun shops assembling and selling them and Troy is selling a version as well.
    Last edited by MK11; 10-11-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Can one possess a handgun in their home without a license?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

A few questions;

Might want to apply for a non-resident permit now.

CT has a weird system in that residents first apply to their local municipality. If the municipality denies them (which some places, like New Haven, routinely do), then the applicant appeals to to the state police licensing board, which almost always overturns the denials. Non-residents apply directly to the state cops.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Yes, you can possess a handgun in your home without a permit, but you cannot transport it or buy ammo without a permit, so you might as well get the permit.

Obtaining a permit can takes several months and is not cheap. But if you jump through the hoops, it’s doable. Most of my friends and coworkers have theirs. In practice, it’s shall issue.

AR pistols are a no go unless you can exploit a legal loophole. Importing currently owned AR pattern weapons isn’t possible. You can get a new “other” or buy preban at exorbitant cost.

It’s bad here for gun owners but could be a lot worse. The good news is that gun culture is alive and well here and we have a fairly robust training community.

Feel free to PM with further questions. While I refuse to call it “home,” I’ve been a resident in CT since 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    2. I don't believe you can bring in an AR in any configuration from outside the state. HOWEVER---there's a series of ARs called "others" (basically, pistol ARs with 12.5 inch barrels, vertical foregrip, brace and brake) that are in fact legal to buy and own. There's a couple in-state gun shops assembling and selling them and Troy is selling a version as well.
    I remembered there's some issue at the Federal level with VFG on a pistol. These two letters seem to cover it:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/op...ndgun/download

https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-ad...-an-ar-pistol/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

On the bright side, I bet most of your flashlights are legal in CT.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Best bet it obtain a non-resident CT permit. If you move to CT you can easily convert to a resident permit. Also non-resident permits are slightly easier to obtain since you are dealing directly with the state and not a local municipality. FYI different towns or cities can make a huge difference in the permit process. The wrong place can take many months thr right place can be only a few weeks. You are at the mercy of your local chief LEO. This is why you go non-resident. Plus you could conceivably move it already permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On the bright side, I bet most of your flashlights are legal in CT.
    Thanks for the early morning laugh! At least there are no Assault Flashlight laws yet.....

If this comes to pass, I will 100% get the non-resident license first. A pain compared to NH, but certainly not as bad as what I had to go through in NY thirty-some years ago. Seems the most significant drawback will be the loss of my modern sporting musket.

In any case, my thanks again to those who have responded - your insight is appreciated!

User Tag List