Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XDM 10mm

Regarding the Glock and heavy hard cast loads, my experiences mostly mirror GJMs. I've been shooting Glock 20s off and on since the early 2000s and carrying them as field pistols in the Pacific Northwest. I've owned Gen 2, 3, and 4.

The Gen 4 seems to have a more robust stock recoil spring, but I still encounter problems with heavy hard cast loads. I have a 200-grain XTP load at 1140FPS that runs quite reliably both with a strong, two-handed grip and WHO, however subjectively it feels like it's on the verge of choking when run WHO only with a loose grip.

The heavy 200 grain, wide meplat loads are a real challenge for this gun. They weren't designed for it, and the bullet profile isn't a good fit for the magazine. I find that they will usually run ok with a strong two-handed grip, but will choke fired with a WHO loose grip. I feel that evaluating reliability in this fashion is a valid test, as people often find themselves shooting with a less than optimal grip due to injuries, or a bear chewing on them.

I suspect that with the Glock 20 you can have any two of the following three things: 1) A 200-grain bullet 2) 1200 FPS velocity or 3) A wide meplat bullet.

I'm pretty happy with my 200-grain XTP load for where I live where the threats are black bear, cougar and meth-heads. One of my future reloading projects is to develop a hard cast load that will work with the stock factory barrel and recoil spring. I suspect by dropping the velocity and maybe the OAL, one could make a 180-200 grain hardcast load in the 1050 to 1100 FPS range that would work well. It just hasn't been a priority for me.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

We have had really good luck with factory XTP 180 and 200 grain loads in all our Glock 20 and 29 pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We have had really good luck with factory XTP 180 and 200 grain loads in all our Glock 20 and 29 pistols.
    Me too. My 200 grain XTP handloads splits the difference between the factory load (which ran about 1050FPS IIRC) and some of the boutique loads that push the bullet over 1200FPS. Honestly, if I had to run them at 1050, I wouldn't feel ill-equipped. In the early oughties, I got to play with some calibrated gel and that bullet tends to penetrate about 26" and expand to .50" to .55" in those velocity ranges. Perfect for my needs.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

fwiw: I just got off the phone with springfield support and had a discussion with them regarding heavier 10mm loads. I specifically inquired about 1500 fps hardcast. First off , they are aware of the gun community not being real happy with them only testing anemic loads. The answer I got was they do not plan on doing any more testing with any heavier 10mm loads. re: the 10mm TRP......heavier loads are ok...but not a steady diet....although (if I understood them correctly) there has been no testing with the heavier loads with the TRP either.

Hammertime
    That is really impressive!

Site Supporter
    With newer XDs, can you operate the slide without having the grip safety depressed?

Quote Originally Posted by ccssid View Post
    fwiw: I just got off the phone with springfield support and had a discussion with them regarding heavier 10mm loads. I specifically inquired about 1500 fps hardcast. First off , they are aware of the gun community not being real happy with them only testing anemic loads. The answer I got was they do not plan on doing any more testing with any heavier 10mm loads. re: the 10mm TRP......heavier loads are ok...but not a steady diet....although (if I understood them correctly) there has been no testing with the heavier loads with the TRP either.
    These events are no accident. It is my impression that gun companies design “10mm” pistols to run LE spec ammo- meaning basically .40 S&W “long”. Running a factory config gun outside of that performance envelope is going to be a owner- specific project . While they’ll run high velocity loads reliably enough for one or two mags per session, that’s a long way from “anti-bear” reliability- and unfortunately companies aren’t incentivized to develop their guns to that level. If we want a 10mm that’ll meet a high standard of reliability, we’ll have to wait for HK- and perhaps not conincidentally they’ve never released a pistol in that caliber.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

So , from a reliability point of view, our only option is a big bore wheel gun, when out in the woods. This is exactly what I have been trying to get away from. Oh Well.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

So , from a reliability point of view, our only option is a big bore wheel gun, when out in the woods. This is exactly what I have been trying to get away from. Oh Well.

Or a Glock 40/20 with Underwood penetrators. Or a USP 45 with 45 Super.

I would dig into this thread as @GJM has literally done the field work for you.

That said, like others have noted, I am hopeful that one day we can 10mm autoloaders that will run the boutique and handloaded stuff reliably, not just the .40 "Long" loads. Unfortunately the majority of buyers who shoot a box of Buffalo Bore and have no backcountry experience will still argue that the G20 has dethroned the 4" .44 Mag.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 10-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List