Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wilson Combat 9mm Commander

I’ve had good luck with 135 grain Critical Duty in mine, but it ought to run the HST. I believe it’s one of the rounds that WC recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    It is the concealment safety.

The black ETMs were purchased 6-8 months ago, so they are newer.

Today I took 2 ETMs and 2 Vickers ETMs to the range along with the CQB Elite. Ammo was:
    50 rounds 147 gr AE
    100 rounds 124 gr Winchester NATO
    30 rounds 147 gr HST

There was 1 FTF with the AE and 1 with the HST. Both were with the Vickers ETMs. That’s about 1 FTF per 25 rounds of HST - damn. The NATO cycled fine probably due to the rounded profile.

I’m going to look at some Gold Dots, Rangers, and Golden Saber Black Belts to see which has the most rounded profile and test.
    I would contact WC customer service. All my 9mm’s run 124+p and 147 HST’s just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I would contact WC customer service. All my 9mm’s run 124+p and 147 HST’s just fine

I would call them, too. I just got my “yellow sheet” out that comes with the 9mm Wilsons, and confirmed that 124 grain and 147 grain HST is on their list of recommended self-defense ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I would call them, too. I just got my “yellow sheet” out that comes with the 9mm Wilsons, and confirmed that 124 grain and 147 grain HST is on their list of recommended self-defense ammunition.
    Over on the 1911 forum they would tell you, “just don’t use that ammo”. Lol

But, there’s no way I’d accept a semi-custom 1911 not running one of the most popular SD rounds.

Honestly, I think it’s the mags. You may recall that I was having an identical FTF malfunction with my CCU that had been worked over by Wilson. That was fixed once I switched over to Tripp Cobra mags. I cleaned and lubed (Slip2000) the gun this evening. Then, I began playing with different mags by manually cycling rounds into the chamber with Wilson ETM and Tripp mags. It’s pretty clear that the Tripp Cobra mags are presenting the rounds just a hair higher on the feed ramp and closer to the chamber. The ETMs are presenting the rounds more towards the middle of the feed ramp. Take a look at this picture of a Vickers ETM (left) next to a Tripp Cobra (right).

Name:  98C5E6B0-24FB-4F11-A647-3545E20184EE.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  29.4 KB

The mags are aligned at the slot for the magazine release, but the top round of the Tripp mag is presented a little higher than the Vickers ETM. That steeper angle of presentation with the Tripp Cobra mag is probably why my FTF issues with the CCU seemed to disappear one I switched mags.

I’m taking a couple Tripp Cobra mags along with the ETMs back to the range tomorrow along with 100 round of HST and 50 round of 147 grain GD. I’ll see if the gun can make it through a 50-round box of HSTs with the ETMs. If it malfunctions in that first box, I’ll immediately switch to the Tripp Cobras so that they will get at least 50 if not more rounds. If neither mags can make it through the HSTs, I’ll try the GD’s. If it can’t handle those, then I’m sending it back. My GoPro will record the performance.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I am not a fan of the Wilson ETM magazines in 9x19 as I keep experiencing the top round in a fully-loaded magazine nosediving. I need to try some of the new Tripp magazines.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by farscott; 10-22-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Ok, it’s not the magazines. I went back to the range with my GoPro, the CQB Elite, and 2 each of the following magazines: Vickers ETM, stainless ETM, and Trip Cobra mags. The gun was cleaned last night and lubed with Slip2000 EWL.

First up were the Vickers ETM with 147 grain HST. There was a FTF after around 5 rounds on the second mag.

Next up was the Tripp which would not chamber the first round on attempts at slide release unless multiple retractions of the slide were applied. Once the first round was chambered, the gun had a FTF in the first mag.

I then switched to 147 grain Gold Dots and had the same FTF within two mags of both the Vickers ETM and Tripp Cobra Mags.

For shits and giggles, I tried the 2 standard ETMs that came with the gun and they too failed on the second magazine of HST and GD.

So, the gun is unreliable with multiple recommended hollow points and various mags including the original manufacturer’s top tier. I’ve called Wilson and am waiting on a return authorization. More later.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-22-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Sorry you’re having trouble. Sounds like my first WC 9mm that wouldn’t feed hollow points at all.

My dealings with their customer service has been very good. @WilsonCombatRep

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Ok, it’s not the magazines. I went back to the range with my GoPro, the CQB Elite, and 2 each of the following magazines: Vickers ETM, stainless ETM, and Trip Cobra mags. The gun was cleaned last night and lubed with Slip2000 EWL.

First up were the Vickers ETM with 147 grain HST. There was a FTF after around 5 rounds on the second mag.

Next up was the Tripp which would not chamber the first round on attempts at slide release unless multiple retractions of the slide were applied. Once the first round was chambered, the gun had a FTF in the first mag.

I then switched to 147 grain Gold Dots and had the same FTF within two mags of both the Vickers ETM and Tripp Cobra Mags.

For shits and giggles, I tried the 2 standard ETMs that came with the gun and they too failed on the second magazine of HST and GD.

So, the gun is unreliable with multiple recommended hollow points and various mags including the original manufacturer’s top tier. I’ve called Wilson and am waiting on a return authorization. More later.

Sorry for your issues.

My honest suggestion is

Remove the buffer
    Load and unload your mags with a lula, or us a polymer dowel to fully compress your new mag springs a few (3-5)times.
    Shoot 300-500 rds of 147 grain ball ammo through the pistol fairly wet with light oil type lube.
    Clean gun well and relube.

If your pistol doesn't feed JHP's after all this time for a trip in.

We test fire guns extensively with range mags that have pretty well brokwn in springs.
    These guns are often quite tight when new and the stiff mag springs +newness of the coating creates more friction that slows slide velocity impairing JHP feed reliability.

Most 9mm 5" guns needs lube every 300-400 rds.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    Sorry for your issues.

My honest suggestion is

Remove the buffer
    Load and unload your mags with a lula, or us a polymer dowel to fully compress your new mag springs a few (3-5)times.
    Shoot 300-500 rds of 147 grain ball ammo through the pistol fairly wet with light oil type lube.
    Clean gun well and relube.

If your pistol doesn't feed JHP's after all this time for a trip in.

We test fire guns extensively with range mags that have pretty well brokwn in springs.
    These guns are often quite tight when new and the stiff mag springs +newness of the coating creates more friction that slows slide velocity impairing JHP feed reliability.

Most 9mm 5" guns needs lube every 300-400 rds.
    Thank you for taking the time to chime in to this thread. I’m always impressed by Wilson’s commitment to customer service. Because the gun had already seen about 300 rounds of ball ammo (mostly Federal 147 grain AE and Winchester NATO) prior to today’s test and the mags had seen a fair amount of use with my Colt CCU, I opted to send it back to your shop. I’m going to include the 2 Vickers ETMs that I used in today’s test along with a thumb drive with video files showing the FTF malfunctions. That should help your gunsmiths get this baby run’en.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-22-2018 at 11:51 PM.

User Tag List