Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock cracked breech face warranty experience.

Glock cracked breech face warranty experience.

Was dry firing my training gun (2012 gen4 19) a couple weeks ago when I noticed a change in the trigger pull. After removing the slide, I noticed the barrel was locked up and would not separate. Once I freed the barrel from the slide, I found that the breech face had cracked and was protruding towards the muzzle about 2mm. Glock service tech explained that my aggressive dry fire routine without snap caps was likely the culprit and suggested I send the slide in for inspection.

Sent slide out on April 10th and received a call from Glock a few days later confirming the breech face damage. The rep I spoke with was extremely pleasant and stated that while the cracking is not common, they do see it in guns that are habitually dry fired without snap caps. Even though I had sent a stripped slide, he said they would replace it with a complete upper, and asked if I wanted to upgrade the sights.

Received new complete slide today, April 22nd. Twelve days door to door.
    Just thought I'd share my excellent experience with Glock, and as a reminder to everyone who dry fires their gun regularly.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Outstanding!

Good to know! I've heard some mixed things about Glock CS but it seems like they're doing it right these days.

On a somewhat related note last Wednesday I called SIG to send back my M11A1. Sent it back Thursday (prepaid shipping) and it's currently in route back here, due in tomorrow. Blazing fast turnaround compared to the last gun I had to send back (Walther, via S&W).

Site Supporter
    I aspire to damage my Glock from dry fire.

It happened to me as well. I had purchased a used G2 G19 somewhere around '98 or so. I purchased the pistol with the intent to learn the Glock trigger after buying / selling a G3 G22 that I did not gell with. I dry fired easily north of 10K dry fires with no snap caps ( I drive my wife crazy with my dry fire routines). One day, pulled the trigger and something felt different. I could not rack the slide. Had to gently pry open the slide using a big wide flat head screw driver. Upon inspection, the breach area had some cracks in it.

Called Glock and spoke with a tech. He asked if I had used snap caps or not and I had said no since the manual said it was ok. The Glock tech said that snap caps should really be used. I had to pay to ship the pistol to Glock, but they did give me a new slide. I now have a G3 slide on the G2 G19 and ....I use snap caps when dry firing. No issues since.

Glock has the best warranty in the pistol business.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Glock has the best warranty in the pistol business.
    I've only had awesome experience with them albeit just with the routine inspect and upgrade stuff (free). Recently the tech INSISTED I let him take the three "range" mags I had in a bag and I got them back with new springs, new follower and new bodies. Original base plates I guess. Free.

Re the OP, I've heard of this happening before and also of folks that dry fired way beyond this w/o problem. Must be hardening variances or something. Some have said the metal treatment creates a very hard surface but the hard is thin so if it gives . . .
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublestack45 View Post
    Just thought I'd share my excellent experience with Glock
    You didn't explicitly say so, but reading between the lines, I'm guessing they didn't charge you a penny for the new complete upper?

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad to hear they took good care of you.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I have been on a pretty heavy dry fire routine for about 2.5 yrs, primarily through a g35, and I have not had this happen yet. It has worried me though and I usually inspect the breach face area to see if it shows any signs of this starting to happen. I do use plastic dummy rounds with the rim filed off so that the dummy stays in the chamber when I reset the trigger. These don't have the rubber snap cap type insert for the firing pin to hit though.

Did the gun show any signs of damage or wear in that area prior to breaking?

The 19 that cracked was fired and cleaned just a couple days prior, with no indication of separation. Never thought to save a picture, but mine cracked from about 8 to 3 o'clock on the case rim impression on the breech face.
    The tech explained that the excessive and constant dead-blows of the firing pin (without resistance) CAN weaken the entire face from the back.
    I had been seeing a positive change in my shooting since incorporating dry fire into my routine, and had dramatically increased the frequency and duration over the last 6 months. Funny thing is, I've had the translucent red Tipton rounds with my mags all along, but really only used them for ball/dummy drills at the range. Learn something new every day.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

User Tag List