Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Remington V3 Tac-13

Do not want Form 1.

Just found out Mesa Tactical makes an adapter to put an AR buffer tube on the V3/tac-13. For the Tac-13 you also have to get a shim for an extra $15. But that would let a person put a brace on one of these without having to SBS it. I have one of their adapters on a Tac-14 and it seems like a good product so far.

https://mesatactical.com/products/le...-v3-12-ga.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Just found out Mesa Tactical makes an adapter to put an AR buffer tube on the V3/tac-13. For the Tac-13 you also have to get a shim for an extra $15. But that would let a person put a brace on one of these without having to SBS it. I have one of their adapters on a Tac-14 and it seems like a good product so far.

https://mesatactical.com/products/le...-v3-12-ga.html
    Not to muddy the waters but do some investigation on a bracing a shotgun.

https://genesisarms.com/the-genesis-...and-the-gen12/

Remington V3 Tac-13

Quote Originally Posted by draftpick View Post
    Not to muddy the waters but do some investigation on a bracing a shotgun.

https://genesisarms.com/the-genesis-...and-the-gen12/
    Unfortunately, it is not that easy…

When these “not-shotguns” were originally approved by ATF, three were listed by name; Mossberg Shockwave, Remington TAC-14 and the Black Aces DT. The Black Aces DT was a braced firearm that had a folding brace… stated by ATF to meet the requirements of the “other firearm” classification (no stock ever, designed to be fired with two hands and overall length 26+”).

Then after numerous letters to ATF about AR pistols with vertical grips and folding braces (OAL over 26” and fired by two hands puts it into other firearm territory over AR pistol)… ATF ruled that braces are not measured in unfolded position, but folded. This is a move away from the common practice of OAL being measured with stocks extended… and since it wasn’t a stock, ATF rewrote their opinion. Mind you, people with folding DTs now had unregistered AOWs and Black Aces offered a conversion to the fixed brace adapter to make it legal.

Then the good old brace decision came up… and they were viewed as stocks. But to twist the knife a little more, ATF decided that because you don’t shoot those firearms with one hand… you cannot legally put a brace on it. That meant that all the ones with legally purchased other firearms with braces had illegal SBSs. This is what that linked article from an other firearm manufacturer touches on.

My TAC-14 got screwed over twice; had the folding brace originally, then a fixed brace after that. I SBSed it and have a Magpul stock on it.

But considering there was a stay on the rule change a few months back, braced other firearms should be good until a decision is made. ATF can’t enforce the rule and with the opinion of the brace not being allowed on a firearm designed to be fired with two hands… it appears to be a part of the stay. But I’m not a lawyer, didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express and don’t have a firearm that fits in this category to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Unfortunately, it is not that easy…

When these “not-shotguns” were originally approved by ATF, three were listed by name; Mossberg Shockwave, Remington TAC-14 and the Black Aces DT. The Black Aces DT was a braced firearm that had a folding brace… stated by ATF to meet the requirements of the “other firearm” classification (no stock ever, designed to be fired with two hands and overall length 26+”).

Then after numerous letters to ATF about AR pistols with vertical grips and folding braces (OAL over 26” and fired by two hands puts it into other firearm territory over AR pistol)… ATF ruled that braces are not measured in unfolded position, but folded. This is a move away from the common practice of OAL being measured with stocks extended… and since it wasn’t a stock, ATF rewrote their opinion. Mind you, people with folding DTs now had unregistered AOWs and Black Aces offered a conversion to the fixed brace adapter to make it legal.

Then the good old brace decision came up… and they were viewed as stocks. But to twist the knife a little more, ATF decided that because you don’t shoot those firearms with one hand… you cannot legally put a brace on it. That meant that all the ones with legally purchased other firearms with braces had illegal SBSs. This is what that linked article from an other firearm manufacturer touches on.

My TAC-14 got screwed over twice; had the folding brace originally, then a fixed brace after that. I SBSed it and have a Magpul stock on it.

But considering there was a stay on the rule change a few months back, braced other firearms should be good until a decision is made. ATF can’t enforce the rule and with the opinion of the brace not being allowed on a firearm designed to be fired with two hands… it appears to be a part of the stay. But I’m not a lawyer, didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express and don’t have a firearm that fits in this category to worry about.
    For me in my communication with a mfr is the ATF says now a shotgun cannot be a pistol, they have changed their veiws, but yes with the court stay everything is up in the air. They the mfr believes that when then dust settles shotguns will not be pistols and anything other than a birdshead will have to be a SBS

User Tag List