Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a Dan Wesson 357 Magnum (715). Need a new frame, any leads?

Have a Dan Wesson 357 Magnum (715). Need a new frame, any leads?

Hello Everyone,

My father has owned a Dan Wesson 357 Magnum since the mid 80s, and he's loved owning it. However 5-7 years ago the frame had cracked in multiple places, it is really beyond any repair, so we were looking to find some spare parts to see if we could rebuild it. After searching ebay, gun broker, and many other sites I was unable to find anyone selling a frame. I know this is most likely a long shot but we'd love to get the gun fixed and firing again as it really is a great pistol.

Does anyone have any leads as to where I could find a frame being sold for one of these? Again is a DW 357 Magnum, 715. If you're interested I can post some photos of it/the damage later tonight.

Thanks for any and all help!

Site Supporter
    Dan Wesson is currently owned by CZ. Contact their customer service, and they should be able to connect you with the appropriate people. PM me if you cannot get hold of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

As Bill said - Dan Wesson is still alive as a company and they currently make the 715. I’d contact them and offer to send them photographs. They will not replace the gun for free, but may offer a reasonably priced replacement.

If the frame is truly cracked, a new gun is really in order.

On a personal level, i’d quite like to see the frame damage. I’ve never seen a 715 (nor any dan wesson, really) crack a frame. Your father’s gun must have been shot quite a bit with hot magnum loads.

http://danwessonfirearms.com/support/

Here are some photos, and that's what my father eventually chalked it up to. He bought some ammo off a friend who self filled, most likely hot rounds.

Name:  20181103_143913.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  20181103_143902.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  62.5 KB

Wow, first time I've seen that in a DW.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

That's a very interesting failure, and I doubt it was from heavy loads given where the frame failed. The good news is that you likely can salvage the existing grip, barrel and shroud.
    Last edited by oregon45; 11-05-2018 at 06:26 PM.

If you and your father are both in CA, be aware that generally speaking the average joe cannot buy and DROS a handgun frame.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

There are some exemptions ( LEOs are exempt, out of state gifts are exempt, existing used handguns owned by a CA resident ) and workarounds ( buying a complete gun converted temporarily to single action only... )

https://www.riflegear.com/p-1886-dan...stainless.aspx
    https://www.riflegear.com/t-sae.aspx

Good luck!

— Michael
    Last edited by elsquid; 11-05-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Every part but the frame:
    https://everygunpart.com/handgun-kit...nufacturer=582

Unfortunately, the frame IS the firearm...the serialized part that is regulated. Contact Dan Wesson.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

It’s not clear to me the answer, but if the gun is located in California, the only way to replace the frame, without purchasing another DW715 already in California, is to send the gun to Dan Wesson for repair/frame replacement. Then, ostensibly, the gun can come back to you (or your father, whoever is the registered owner). I would contact both Dan Wesson and your best local Cali dealer to figure it out.

If the gun isn’t in California, I’d still just call DW and inquire with them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    That's a very interesting failure, and I doubt it was from heavy loads given where the frame failed. The good news is that you likely can salvage the existing grip, barrel and shroud.
    Where would you normally expect the frame to fail from hot loads?

That is quite a failure, and regardless of the cause, I would suspect that the gun saw some serious abuse before your father acquired it. If this is at all ammo related, I would also be concerned about the condition of the cylinder.

User Tag List