Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best woods ammo for Ti cylinder .357 N frame?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    The Hornady 180 XTP is an excellent bullet; you might try it over H4227 powder. I use 4227 in my .357 Maximums because it causes less flame cutting and erosion than H110/W296 but still produces similar velocities.
    After way too much time searching and reading, this does seem to be the best bet, with a firm roll crimp. Bummer that Hodgdon's 180gr data is with the Nosler Partition bullet, which was discontinued a few years ago. I've contacted them regarding any updates. Also asked Swift if they have 4227 data for the A-Frame.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Hornady 180XTP has dual crimp grooves, and, depending on how long your cylinder is, you can crimp in either groove using the same load data (assuming factory data and not "red line" internet loading data). I use the bottom crimp groove in my .357 Maximums because it allows a max load of 4227 without compressing the powder.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'll plan to use the top groove, because the whole point of this exercise is to extend the time between the start of ignition and the base of the bullet exposing the cylinder gap. Reducing case volume will also get to the pressures that promote complete combustion and minimize the 4227 kernels left behind with less total powder. With a 25-oz gun, I'm not chasing maximum loads.

Just so I don't forget, I'll note that it's probably worth avoiding using .38SPL cases in the Ti cylinder, so I don't get the fouling buildup ring that can interfere with loading .357 cases and then have a situation where something that can't really be scrubbed needs some scrubbing. If I want to shoot wadcutters and softer loads in this one, I should work up a Trail Boss or other bulky-powder load.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Even with top end loads H4227 will leave behind unburned kernels of powder. I see them consistently with my .357 Maximum loads, even when compressing the powder column. It's just one of the joys of 4227. I ended up using an uncompressed load in my Maximum because it gives me more consistent velocities, and because I'm not after the last few FPS.

If you want to move the bullet further back into the cylinder, you might check out Brian Pearce's article on modern 38/44 loads in Handloader Magazine. If you do, I recommend assembling them in Starline 38 +P marked brass to keep them apart from the rest of your 38spl inventory.

Also, your idea of using Trail Boss in the .357 Magnum case with wadcutters is a good one--I do that in all of my .357's (except the one I keep for use as a modern 38/44) because I hate scrubbing out cylinders.
    Last edited by oregon45; 10-10-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    If you believe the wide, flat nose, hard cast crowd, you want a heavy bullet of 160-180 gr moving at ~1100fps. I have a box of those bullets (no gas check), and a 2400 load that does about that out of a 3" tube. I'll post it up after I get home and check my data.

Seems to do a bit more out of the 6" tube on the old 28-2 I picked up this summer.

Penetration is the key for your needs; Xtreme Penetrator – Lehigh Defense, LLC and for HP with great penetration Barnes VOR-TX Ammo 357 Mag 140 Grain XPB Hollow Point.
    Last edited by Sammy1; 10-10-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If you believe the wide, flat nose, hard cast crowd, you want a heavy bullet of 160-180 gr moving at ~1100fps. I have a box of those bullets (no gas check), and a 2400 load that does about that out of a 3" tube. I'll post it up after I get home and check my data.

Seems to do a bit more out of the 6" tube on the old 28-2 I picked up this summer.
    12.8gr 2400, CCI Magnum small pistol primer.

My favorite woods/swamp/trail loads are heavy bullets cast bullets at 1000-1100fps, usually LBT design WFN. It would be easy to load a .357 in that ballpark. These guys cast great bullets, including gas check designs.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...er_caliber=357
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Years ago I read a handgun hunting article involving Foggy Mountain Guide Service (I believe that is the name) in Maine. The owner has taken allot of bear with a 41 magnum loaded with jacketed soft point (JSP). He noted that he has seen JHP fail to penetrate. He preferred JSP over hardcast because the JSP would penetrate and still get some bullet deformation or expansion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    12.8gr 2400, CCI Magnum small pistol primer.
    That is with a 160gr bullet.

User Tag List