Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow 2 Carry Optics conversion

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bet you 10 PF dollars you are shooting carry optics and not Production by next summer.
    Game on. I have an open mind. The thing is, I really like Production, and am doing pretty well this year. I’m feeling like a legit M class shooter, and want to see how far I can go with it. Fortunately my vision is amazingly good, and seems to not be getting worse with age. I’ve got better than 20/20 at arms length in my right eye and 20/20 at distance with my left eye. It’s like I was made for iron sights :-).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Get a Czechmate and go Open instead. Almost the same money. More fun. No more 5.11 pants
    Last edited by cheby; 10-09-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Get a Czechmate and go Open instead. Almost the same money. More fun. Mo more 5.11 pants either
    Hah. Yeah, anti-tactical. I get it.

I want to stick with Minor scoring. And use the same holster and belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Game on. I have an open mind. The thing is, I really like Production, and am doing pretty well this year. I’m feeling like a legit M class shooter, and want to see how far I can go with it. Fortunately my vision is amazingly good, and seems to not be getting worse with age. I’ve got better than 20/20 at arms length in my right eye and 20/20 at distance with my left eye. It’s like I was made for iron sights :-).
    My timmie instincts draw me to Carry Optics, and here is why.

With a long gun, except in very special circumstances, I believe that it is well established that an optic, whether red dot or scope, is a better solution than iron sights. The reason the red dot is not at the same place on a pistol is part technique and part technology. The technology is fixing to change with the Acro, and my CO experience tells me that I have overcome the technique challenges of using a dot.

Two and a half years ago, I was shooting a Shadow 1 in Production and enjoying it, with the caveat that I wished I was not competing with a gun that I would never carry. I got a G19 MOS to evaluate a red dot again. Initially, I thought it made me more visual, and helped my iron sight shooting. Then I realized I could shoot the 19 better than my Shadow, because of the addition of the dot. That got me shooting CO, and with the rule change to 140mm magazines, it allowed me to shoot stages with more focus on shootng than reloading.

I still see iron sights well enough to shoot small groups at 25 yards, but that is in good light. Even still, my ability to shift my focus from front sight to target to front sight is not the same as when I was 20. If I am lucky enough to do this for many more years, normal aging will make that visual focus shift more problematic. The red dot allows me to be competitive with the kind of gun I actually carry, offers me more EDC tactical capability in dim light or on a moving target, and takes away vision as a competitive factor when shooting against twenty year olds.

This afternoon, late in my practice session, I pulled out the G19/RMR I carried to the range, and with that combination, I can shoot a very high percentage of my performance with my full on CO pistol. Besides the speed stuff, I can easily put ten shots into a 3x5 at 25 yards, even in weird light. This allows all the effort I put into gaming to completely transfer to my timmie gun and ability!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ... Fortunately my vision is amazingly good, and seems to not be getting worse with age. I’ve got better than 20/20 at arms length in my right eye and 20/20 at distance with my left eye. It’s like I was made for iron sights :-).
    Have I mentioned lately that I hate you? In jest, In jest...
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 10-09-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My timmie instincts draw me to Carry Optics, and here is why.

With a long gun, except in very special circumstances, I believe that it is well established that an optic, whether red dot or scope, is a better solution than iron sights. The reason the red dot is not at the same place on a pistol is part technique and part technology. The technology is fixing to change with the Acro, and my CO experience tells me that I have overcome the technique challenges of using a dot.

Two and a half years ago, I was shooting a Shadow 1 in Production and enjoying it, with the caveat that I wished I was not competing with a gun that I would never carry. I got a G19 MOS to evaluate a red dot again. Initially, I thought it made me more visual, and helped my iron sight shooting. Then I realized I could shoot the 19 better than my Shadow, because of the addition of the dot. That got me shooting CO, and with the rule change to 140mm magazines, it allowed me to shoot stages with more focus on shootng than reloading.

I still see iron sights well enough to shoot small groups at 25 yards, but that is in good light. Even still, my ability to shift my focus from front sight to target to front sight is not the same as when I was 20. If I am lucky enough to do this for many more years, normal aging will make that visual focus shift more problematic. The red dot allows me to be competitive with the kind of gun I actually carry, offers me more EDC tactical capability in dim light or on a moving target, and takes away vision as a competitive factor when shooting against twenty year olds.

This afternoon, late in my practice session, I pulled out the G19/RMR I carried to the range, and with that combination, I can shoot a very high percentage of my performance with my full on CO pistol. Besides the speed stuff, I can easily put ten shots into a 3x5 at 25 yards, even in weird light. This allows all the effort I put into gaming to completely transfer to my timmie gun and ability!
    What is your G19/RMR setup? I'm using an RMR02/Suarez 319/Gen 3 lower/XS suppressor sights. All Glock internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    What is your G19/RMR setup? I'm using an RMR02/Suarez 319/Gen 3 lower/XS suppressor sights. All Glock internals.
    Name:  5C52A1AB-2C0A-4A65-A292-AD6903FF2D66.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  100.1 KB

Glock 19X slide, direct milled by Primary Machine with forward serrations, old fixed dot RMR, Ameriglo BUIS and a G5 19 MOS lower.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ok folks, I'm taking the plunge. The awesome dudes at Springer Precision are giving me a discount on milling and install of the CZ Custom optic mount, and my FFL buddy got me another Shadow2 for dealer cost. I'm still negotiating a factory discount on the optics. Looks like I'll have a working CO gun in hand in a month or two.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-11-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Very interested in going this route. I just did a 34 and I’m very underwhelmed with it.

I picked up a second Shadow 2 today.

User Tag List