Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permitted Pistol Optics

Permitted Pistol Optics

The new weapons policy came over the email for the county. It's now permissable to have pistol optics. Do you find that to be a common policy now? As LEOs how do you feel about pistol optics?

Edit: approved optics are specified, and backup iron sights are required. The duty rifles have similar requirement s but only list approved optic manufacturers.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 10-08-2018 at 12:10 PM.

I'm going to give them a....shot.

Our latest policy revision still lists optics as "competition only modifications" and thereby prohibited for duty use. That same applies to optics of any kind for carbines (sigh).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    The new weapons policy came over the email for the county. It's now permissable to have pistol optics. Do you find that to be a common policy now? As LEOs how do you feel about pistol optics?

Edit: approved optics are specified, and backup iron sights are required. The duty rifles have similar requirement s but only list approved optic manufacturers.
    Increasingly common at the local level, especially in TX, with Houston PD being the largest example.

At the federal level the U.S. Marshals have apparently approved RDS on personally owned Weapons (POW). DHS / ICE has approved the 17/19 MOS as POWs and is doing testing for a list of approved optics. DHS /CBP (includes Border Patrol) has made modular optics mounting a requirement for their current test/ solicitation for new issued duty guns.

I’m familiar with a TX based SRT / SWAT team running issued G 34 MOS with RMRs. The biggest issue with the MOS system seems to be proper mounting. Glock compounds this issue by continuing to provide screws that are too long with their MOS kits and by failing to specify torque values. Hand tight means different things to different people. When mounted properly the MOS seems to hold up better than its early reputation would indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Increasingly common at the local level, especially in TX, with Houston PD being the largest example.

At the federal level the U.S. Marshals have apparently approved RDS on personally owned Weapons (POW). DHS / ICE has approved the 17/19 MOS as POWs and is doing testing for a list of approved optics. DHS /CBP (includes Border Patrol) has made modular optics mounting a requirement for their current test/ solicitation for new issued duty guns.

I’m familiar with a TX based SRT / SWAT team running issued G 34 MOS with RMRs. The biggest issue with the MOS system seems to be proper mounting. Glock compounds this issue by continuing to provide screws that are too long with their MOS kits and by failing to specify torque values. Hand tight means different things to different people. When mounted properly the MOS seems to hold up better than its early reputation would indicate.
    Yep, several of our local Marshals have been running them for a year or so.

Site Supporter
    Pistol Mounted Optics, the new and official LAPD term, are coming on all over the country. LAPD hosted a very well done symposium a couple of weeks ago with all the major handgun and handgun optics companies in attendance. We had pre-event survey instruments, post-event surveys, discussion, demo shooting and more discussion. LAPD are undertaking a comprehensive study, test and evaluation of PMOs and will make their results available. If LAPD does it, the rest of us generally do also, so stand by.

It's going to be a great step forward, I think and not just because I work for Aimpoint.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Pistol Mounted Optics, the new and official LAPD term, are coming on all over the country. LAPD hosted a very well done symposium a couple of weeks ago with all the major handgun and handgun optics companies in attendance. We had pre-event survey instruments, post-event surveys, discussion, demo shooting and more discussion. LAPD are undertaking a comprehensive study, test and evaluation of PMOs and will make their results available. If LAPD does it, the rest of us generally do also, so stand by.

It's going to be a great step forward, I think and not just because I work for Aimpoint.
    Nah, we can't have any progress here. "

We have to cater to the lowest common denominator and those red dots mean that Deputies WONT be able to transition from a red dot back to iron sights on their off duty pistols!"

I really wish that above quote wasn't true...

Im hoping the concept gains more and more traction if only to prove to the higher ups that they were wrong. Yeah, I'm spiteful. :P

I'm fine with it. I carried a RDS / PMO equipped pistol for a year. Unfortunately then, a few years back, the reliability was not there. I'm going to re-visit it. The biggest thing holding me back is that Unity never went commercial with the M&P version of their Atom mount (see DocGKR's guns) and that Agency Arms hasn't released their M&P version. I'm not willing to machine a slide for just one footprint.

Like WML dimensions, the end user and holster manf communities would GREATLY benefit from the adoption of a common footprint (size) standard.

I've probably got 6 or 7 out of 300 carried RDS / PMO pistols on duty now. That will only increase.

Our policies allows their adoption & use.

Not a chance here.

Our next qualification (yearly) is now reduced to one attempt (50 rounds) for people that score the minimum. You have to shoot less than an 80 to get your second attempt.

For years, policy has dictated that each sworn gets two attempts to turn in their best score. Since you can't drag most of these guys to the range, the yearly qual is the ONLY time they fire their duty weapon in practice. Now, if you eek out that 80 on your first try....you are done until next year.

Cause ammo cost money, you know.

MRDs on pistols? Forget it. No way they will lay out the cash for something durable. Our patrol sticks are irons only.

Agency is about 400 sworn so the mathematics of the budgetary impact of RDS transition will kill the idea for years to come.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    I'm not willing to machine a slide for just one footprint.

Like WML dimensions, the end user and holster manf communities would GREATLY benefit from the adoption of a common footprint (size) standard.

I've been saying that about iron sights for years; why pay a hundred bucks of machine time for a stylish fixed sight?
    Dots are only making it worse; get the best on the market now and not only the sight but the whole slide will be obsolete next year.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List