Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider yourself a minimalist?

In some ways, yes, and in others, no.

For the "yes" part, I have pared down my relationships and my routine. As my wife and I have aged, we have noticed we need more "quiet" time with just the two of us. Part of that is due to my work schedule, which runs about seventy hours per week, and part of that is due to the fact that we are now empty nesters.

For the "no" part, my safes are good examples as I have multiple copies of the same gun and maintain/practice with Beretta 92-series, Glock 17/26, and HK P30 pistols and 870 shotguns. The spare parts stashes for those systems take up a chunk of closet. I also collect and shoot .22 rimfire guns, and that collection defies the idea of minimalism in any way.

As we get older, not only do we get to understand more about the world and about people but, generally, we get to understand more about our own selves. As we do that, we tend to get rid of what doesn't belong and acquire only what does.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

On the other hand we're also very careful about what we bring into the house. We own probably 600 CDs and listen to 20 of them. So we don't buy music.
    Apple Music, bro. I’d suppose Amazon, Spotify, etc may be similar. $10/mo for unlimited downloads and streaming.

Not long ago my wife and I had over 500 CD’s between the two of us (granted this took us 20 years to accumulate)...and eventually never listened to any of them, since all our music was now “on the computer”. Even the recent albums I bought were on iTunes so I never had a physical disc. Sold all the CD’s at a yard sale; $1 each at first, then someone offered a lump sum for the rest. Got pennies on the dollar of course, but enough to pay for a couple years of Apple Music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

labeling oneself a "minimalist" is quite trendy these days, it appears. You can see this in the relatively recent resurgence in the mid-century modern design ethic, particularly in furniture, and take to extremes in the "tiny house movement" (many of the early subscribers to which have since moved on to much less tiny houses after having been confronted with the realities of shitting in a bucket in their parent's backyards).

Interestingly, or maybe not, in construction minimalism costs more. Buildings are built in layers of ever-decreasing tolerances. Dirt is sloppy, concrete slightly less so, framing slightly less so, drywall slight less so, drywall mud and sanding slightly less so, paint slightly less so. Some of those loose tolerances project through the layers and make things like getting a truly crisp floor-to-wall or wall-to-ceiling joint very, very difficult. Hence, baseboards and crown molding. Door and window trim is there to hide the gap between the rough tolerance of the framing and the tight, manufactured tolerance, of the window or door. Much like humans, layering filigree on flawed structure.

I see a lot of people that subscribe to the appearance of minimalism, but not so much the actual practice of same. They want their house sparsely decorated but then have to rent a storage unit to hide all the crap that they refuse to actually let go of.

I think it's also tied to the current socio-political trend against appearing wealthy or even well-off. Mostly in the post-Obama world where the rich are being vilified and the poor are "owed". nobody wants to look "rich" anymore. Everyone claims to have grown up poor.

The pendulum will swing back the other way. The opulence and garish spending of the 80s was a reaction to the bullshit of the 60s and 70s.

All that said, I find myself identifying with those that mention "minimilast" tendencies increasing with age. I know what beer I like now. What soda. What rum. What cigars. i don't need to (a) keep a bunch of random shit around and (b) go flailing about looking for the next new best thing. I'm not interested in buying a new car just to "mod" it; I want a new car I can just leave the fuck alone and comes with all the parts and pieces I want. I'm not trying to have a safe full of guns I don't shoot, I'm trying to figure out which ones I can get rid of in order to just have a couple that I actually use.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    No...
    That seems pretty minimalist.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Apple Music, bro. I’d suppose Amazon, Spotify, etc may be similar. $10/mo for unlimited downloads and streaming.

Not long ago my wife and I had over 500 CD’s between the two of us (granted this took us 20 years to accumulate)...and eventually never listened to any of them, since all our music was now “on the computer”. Even the recent albums I bought were on iTunes so I never had a physical disc. Sold all the CD’s at a yard sale; $1 each at first, then someone offered a lump sum for the rest. Got pennies on the dollar of course, but enough to pay for a couple years of Apple Music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They have this thing called the radio it's free

I would argue that true minimalism has nothing to do with outwardly proving that one is a minimalist, and has everything to do with simply enjoying one's dedication to letting go of unwanted ideas, possessions, activities. Having duplicates of any given pistol, for example, does not contradict minimalism provided that having those duplicates serves a true purpose and need.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    They have this thing called the radio it's free
    But in Houston, the third largest market in the country, if country isn't your thing, it sucks.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    But in Houston, the third largest market in the country, if country isn't your thing, it sucks.
    The older I get the more I prefer what they used to call "Easy Listening".

There's a radio station in Colorado Springs that plays nothing but instrumental music from 7P to 5A every night. No commercials, no announcers , just a station identification every hour on the hour all night long. That's what I listen to all night at work.

If that's not on I have a play list of 300 instrumental songs on my phone. I can hit shuffle and listen to it all night long and never hear the same song twice. Actually I could probably listen to it for a couple of days and never hear the same song twice.

Banned

I probably listen to this duo more than any other music I own

Last edited by Cypher; 10-09-2018 at 09:43 AM.

User Tag List