Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speer 75gr Gold Dolt Twist Rate

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Faster twists have some significant external and terminal ballistic advantages as a result of faster rotational velocity--this is especially important with both shorter barrels and longer ranges. Of course the projectile must be robust enough to handle the increased forces without coming apart in flight...
    Gary,

Just how heavy can you go with 1/7? I realize it's a matter of projectile length also, but was wondering on this.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I have read of 90gr SMK in 7 twist, but I played it safe and got a 6.5 for my attempt at a .223 FTR.

The Valkyrie is standard with a 7 twist but I have read of some disappointments with it and the heaviest bullets.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Faster twists have some significant external and terminal ballistic advantages as a result of faster rotational velocity--this is especially important with both shorter barrels and longer ranges. Of course the projectile must be robust enough to handle the increased forces without coming apart in flight...
    55gr GMX shows very impressive plastic deformation resulting from rotational velocity fired from a 16" barrel of 1/7 twist.

As noted it is the length of the bullet, more than the mass. We had good luck with the old 87 gr PRL's in 1/7 twists.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List