• Hollywood, CZ, real men lower hammers manually

3 2.36%
  • Mods here are the best!

4 3.15%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best DA/SA Decocker design

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    For a right handed shooter, it’s hard to beat the SIG system. The decocker is perfectly positions for using the support hand thumb while maintaining a good grip. It’s still workable for a wrong handed shooter using the the strong index finger or rolling the pistol inward and using the right thumb to push down.

At the end of the day, they are all workable. I really like my Berettas but all you need to do is dissemble one once then do the same with the SIG. The ease of use and the simple design of the SIG system is much easier to maintain, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Voted for Sig.

For me it’s just super intuitive and easy to get to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Also made me think, I like the way the Sig doesn’t snap the hammer forward at full force like the others.
    For all these reasons, I voted Sig. I especially like how the hammer gently rides the decocker as it moves back upward under the thumb. The only downside is, as someone else mentioned, the slide stop is not in the "universal" position. To me, if one is going to carry a classic Sig, it's worth considering committing to them 100 percent so muscle memory can be counted on.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    This was a good video. I was unaware of the Sig decocker causing failures to fire with some grips.
    I've never heard of that criticism, either. I'll point out that it doesn't appear in the video that Ernest is in any danger of actually experiencing that with his grip. Far more common to have a failure to lock back due to thumbing the slide stop while firing. For a righty, getting your strong hand thumb outside the support hand thumb, or just flagged up/outward, will solve that.

I kinda feel like Ernest's criticisms fail to contemplate the totality of the Sig design. The not-quite-down position the hammer decocks to is its actual rest position. There is a little return spring that holds it back in that position, so it's away from the firing pin. It won't go forward of that position without the inertia of a mainspring-driven drop. Further, there's a block that prevents it moving forward past that position unless the trigger is pressed. Since this is simply the rest position, it's always going to be the starting point of a DA press. I don't understand what it has to do with the SA notch.

I'd also be curious to hear whether anyone has an anecdote of something actually getting into the gap between the slide/firing pin and hammer and preventing a Sig from going bang. It's certainly massively less likely to happen than with an SA carried in Condition One, and you simply don't hear that criticism of 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonrat View Post
    Had to vote HK USP based on ergonomics and ease of conversion between safety and decock-only.
    I can deal with the USP decocker location more easily than a slide-mounted position. I can get to it with my thumb while maintaining the rest of my grip. Importantly, the pivot point of the USP decocker is pretty close to the second knuckle on my thumb, so the rotation of my thumb forward of that knuckle is naturally coordinated with the rotation of the decocker. The Beretta requires more of a reach that distorts my grip further, and the down-and-back rotation has to be activated with a fairly unnatural bending of the outermost segment of my thumb, rather than the more fluid "grasping" motion where the bending occurs at the second joint.

Of course, with the USP, you can also go LEM and avoid the decocker discussion altogether! I also really like third-gen S&Ws and Berettas in DAO.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Name:  4FB16971-764E-4B75-9B93-39AACC90D7AB.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  22.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    All you folks saying the slide mounted types are ergonomic... do you have alien length fingers and thumbs? Keep in mind the decocker needs to be usable with one hand to be viable on a combat/LE/defensive handgun. Your support hand could be injured or otherwise occupied. I have long digits and would be hard pressed to decock my Beretta with my shooting hand.

(Snip)
    I don’t know what alien length digits would be, but I can’t really palm a basketball. Everything on the Beretta is in easy reach.

I pull down on the lever like this:
    Name:  963D22B3-A060-4BCE-8D18-2D5B34DD3B8A.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  23.3 KB

I don’t push it back up: I push forward. The spring-load in the mechanism pops it all the way up automatically.
    Name:  6ADD4781-59BF-4C2B-B21F-7BC5DBFEFCA0.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 10.53.29 PM.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  39.6 KB

I have had issues with the Sig decocker. My grip pushes against the decocker and can cause a problem, shifting my grip takes care of the issue but its a pain. I also don't really like the levers position I find it uncomfortable. I assume hand size plays a major role in this. I don't have an issue with any of the other designs, however Beretta is the only DA/SA I regularly shoot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 10.53.29 PM.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  39.6 KB
    LOL. Fingerstyle guitar. I like the sound I get with nails. @Sidheshooter
    Last edited by Duelist; 10-07-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    LOL. Fingerstyle guitar. I like the sound I get with nails. @Sidheshooter
    Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity to inject some Ron Swanson.

Name:  4FB16971-764E-4B75-9B93-39AACC90D7AB.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  22.1 KB

I don’t know what alien length digits would be, but I can’t really palm a basketball. Everything on the Beretta is in easy reach.

I pull down on the lever like this:
    Name:  963D22B3-A060-4BCE-8D18-2D5B34DD3B8A.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  23.3 KB

I don’t push it back up: I push forward. The spring-load in the mechanism pops it all the way up automatically.
    Name:  6ADD4781-59BF-4C2B-B21F-7BC5DBFEFCA0.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  24.3 KB
    I’ve tried that technique to deactivate the safety on a Beretta, just can’t seem to do it.

In regards to palming the decocker on a Sig, I can recall this becoming a concern of mine once or twice. During a dry-fire session I felt my support hand pressing on the decicker some. Fixed my grip and kept track of it more.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I assumed that “etc” meant all the rest of the Smiths.

IIRC, there was a significant engineering change from 1st to 2nd in the firing pin plunger. I don’t have one to compare to, but that’s what I remember understanding about the generational changes.
    The first generation S&W (39, 59) autoloaders did not have a firing pin safety. It is possible to have the gun fire when dropped if the hammer is decocked and the safety is OFF. The safety on the first generation guns does lock the firing pin and are the guns are drop safe with the safety engaged. The 2nd generation guns added the firing pin safety and are drop safe with the safety in the ON or OFF position. The firing pin safety uses a plunger that locks the firing pin in position until the trigger reaches almost the end of rearward travel. This design was carried forward to the third generation pistols.

Both the Beretta and S&W decocking systems are very nice because the hammer cannot strike the firing pin when the hammer falls. I find the S&W system a bit more elegant due to needing fewer parts, especially on the later third generation guns when the mature design is paired with CNC-machined parts. The Beretta design, though, is still in production, so it has to "better".

It is physically impossible for a SIG to fire while decocking. The trigger has to be pulled to allow firing pin to bust a cap.

I really like the decocker on this 4506.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to go back in time, I would likely carry one of of these as a duty gun.

User Tag List