• Other

3 2.36%
  • Hollywood, CZ, real men lower hammers manually

3 2.36%
  • Mods here are the best!

4 3.15%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best DA/SA Decocker design

Having shot Sigs a lot over the last 2.5 yrs, and having shot a Wilson/Beretta 92, and owning a CZ SP-01 Tactical, and holding an HK P30, I’d rate them as such:

1) Sig
    2) CZ
    3) HK
    4) Beretta

...the slide mounted design just seems to be in the way of manipulating the slide. By far, the Sig design is king here, IMHO. (Granted...hand size will greatly influence your choice)
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 10-07-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    What’s the difference in the design between the third gen and first gen, which was included in the poll?

My bad. I hadn't had coffee yet when I posted that

Anything that's on the slide is a no-go for me. I have spent enough time with 2nd and 3rd Gen S&W's to develop a strong dislike for that.

The slim decockers on the P-07 work well for me.

On a competition gun, lowering it by hand is the way to go. No need to introduce complexity (and a compromised trigger pull) in a match gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Voted for Sig.

For me it’s just super intuitive and easy to get to.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    I voted for the SIG style since, considered by itself, the decocker is the easiest of the choices to use, at least for a right-handed shooter. That said, I don't feel it's the best system considered as a whole. My main complaint is the location of the slide release - no other pistol I'm aware of has that issue.

My preference is the Beretta PX4 G. I usually decock it by sliding my non-firing thumb back to the lever; this works with my P99C as well. I can decock the PX4 with the thumb of my firing hand just about as well. That is partially due to being the only guy on this forum who prefers the stocks levers. Of course, my PX4 D is even easier to decock.

The one decocker I actually want to try is the SIG style one on the S&W 3rd Generation line (xx2x and xx7x). I think they are likely similar to the SIG... but never had one in my hands.

I picked the SIG one... as I do think it is the better design. In the right position for a right handed shooter.

That being said, I prefer the Beretta and the slide mounted style. I have big enough hands to make it work well, and if I shoot lefty (I am right handed, but prefer to practice weak hand from time to time), can make it work, too.

My PX4s were both G, or converted G. I had a 96G Centurion slide as a .40 conversion, but converted the 92 Brigadier Inox over with the Beretta kit. CZ is the original design, so cocked/locked.

Only other DA/SA pistol I own is a S&W 1006... which bothered me on it being an “F” style safety. Rather have a similar setup across the board. A member on S&W Forum works on 3rd Generation pistols, and I just picked up a 45 series spring loaded decocker to send to him along with my slide. He is milling out a cut for it, similar to the TSW line. I’m actually very excited to get it back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    All you folks saying the slide mounted types are ergonomic... do you have alien length fingers and thumbs? Keep in mind the decocker needs to be usable with one hand to be viable on a combat/LE/defensive handgun. Your support hand could be injured or otherwise occupied. I have long digits and would be hard pressed to decock my Beretta with my shooting hand.

For best use the Sig style is the top of the heap IMO. But I voted for the USP style since it lets me carry the gun cocked and locked.
    I have had no difficulty with this. Watching a few Langdon videos gave me some tips that have, when employed, have made using my Beretta even easier.

My thumbs and fingers are long, though. I had a female NCO in my unit whose digits were so short she could not decock smoothly, and more significantly, could not fire the pistol in DA. At all. She drew her pistol and thumb cocked it as she brought it up. Her personal pistol was something else that she could use more efficiently, but when we did quails and deployed, she carried her issued M9.

So I understand that some have difficulty with it.

I find 'G' configuration Berettas much easier to dynamically manipulate than the 'F' configuration hammer drop safety. The spring loaded nature of the 'G' lever is a significant improvement, and also eliminates the possibility of an inadvertently applied safety.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Hammertime
    Between Sig, Beretta, HK USP and HK P2000/P30, the clear design winner is the later model HK.

-ambidextrous
    -unobtrusive
    -reliable

Hammertime
    This was a good video. I was unaware of the Sig decocker causing failures to fire with some grips.

User Tag List