• Other

3 2.36%
  • Hollywood, CZ, real men lower hammers manually

3 2.36%
  • Mods here are the best!

4 3.15%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best DA/SA Decocker design

I almost don’t care, short of it being ergonomically ridiculous, as it is so far down my list of important attributes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The Beretta and 3rd Gen Smith work very well, very ergonomically for me. And they make sense to me from an engineering standpoint: I can see exactly how safe it actually is to decock with the lever. It is completely safe.

I had a funny experience at a gun store once upon a time. I was looking at a 4006 in very good condition that had a great trigger. I didn’t buy it because I don’t need a .40, but I almost bought it anyway because it was so nice, and cheap.

Anyway, the guy behind the counter I’ve known for years. He’s worked a couple of gun stores here. He remarked as I worked the decocker that he couldn’t get to where he thought that was safe, even thought people say it is. I took it apart and showed him the firing pin block plunger and how it works, then how the decocker rolls the back section of the firing pin out of alignment with the front and puts a solid bar of steel in the way for the hammer to fall on. Pulling the trigger and manually lowering the hammer, which is what he’d been doing, circumvents all the engineering advances and safety systems put into those pistols.

Beretta and 3rd gens for me.
    Good point about the extra safety built into the slide mounted design. Didn’t consider that. Also made me think, I like the way the Sig doesn’t snap the hammer forward at full force like the others.

I think the Beretta 92 design is the most user friendly, from a simply being able to activate the decocker standpoint. But it’s always bugged me when doing slide manipulations and I am slower on the clock with the 92 than I am with my Glock. For that reason I voted HK P2000 etc, just because the decoding lever is off the flats of the slide. I also really like the Sig 22whatever series decocker.

All that being said, the slim levers of the PX4 strike a very close balance between ease of use and slide manipulation issues I mentioned with the 92 series.....but it wasn’t in the poll...
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    All that being said, the slim levers of the PX4 strike a very close balance between ease of use and slide manipulation issues I mentioned with the 92 series.....but it wasn’t in the poll...
    I would put the PX4 in with 92, etc.

There are CZs withe de-cocking levers, like the CZ P01 and the SP01 Tactical. I quite like the location of the P01's de-cocker, easy to activate and conducive of a high thumbs forward grip.

I have never had a problem with CZ, SIG, or Beretta from an ergonomic standpoint, but I appreciate the engineering of the Beretta. Something about the CZ dropping the hammer to the half cock position just bugged me.

I was worried about slide manipulations with the Beretta, but it isn’t a problem-at least with the 92. Stock px4 levers tear my hand up.

All you folks saying the slide mounted types are ergonomic... do you have alien length fingers and thumbs? Keep in mind the decocker needs to be usable with one hand to be viable on a combat/LE/defensive handgun. Your support hand could be injured or otherwise occupied. I have long digits and would be hard pressed to decock my Beretta with my shooting hand.

For best use the Sig style is the top of the heap IMO. But I voted for the USP style since it lets me carry the gun cocked and locked.

To me it is a no-brainer answer, the P30. Hard to imaging a design that's completely out of the way of all possible manipulations, any possible finger placement, as if it is not even on a gun, yet so easily accessible. Slide mounted 92/PX4 is second but they do get in the way for those who prefer overhand manipulations, and benefit from slim options/modification for a concealed carry.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Had to vote HK USP based on ergonomics and ease of conversion between safety and decock-only. I have no problem with the Beretta 92 design either on an actual 92, but if I lump the Px4 into that category it brings it down a notch with the lack of usable levers.

I like the Beretta best. It gets the decocker out of the way for my shooting grip, so that I can't inadvertently push on it. That's a big deal to me. It's ambidextrous which I normally don't need, but I think it's a plus. When I had a P220 I didn't care for the decocker design. I had to move my support hand grip to get to the decock and always felt like it was a little out of place. It works well for some folks, but didn't really groove well for me.

If I need to decock 1 handed I do have to rotate the pistol very slightly, giving up the "super doper full master firing vice crush mega ultra grip" or whatever we call it these days. However, I'd say its less than the amount most folks give up their grip during a magazine change. If I need to decock while 1 handed I likely no longer need to be in a rush, as the shooting has already happened. Although that could of course be variable.

The fact the Beretta decocker happens to be attached to a pistol that fits me well certainly influences my choice.

-Cory

User Tag List