3 2.36%
  • Hollywood, CZ, real men lower hammers manually

3 2.36%
  • Mods here are the best!

4 3.15%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best DA/SA Decocker design

Best DA/SA Decocker design

Over the years, it seems a lot of pistol controls have been becoming more standardized. Most safeties follow the 1911 style, mag releases are becoming more and more the button variety. DA/SA decockers seem to be all over the place. With the likelihood of new DA/SA designs coming out not being likely, that will not change.

My favorite DA/SA gun is the Beretta, like many here. However, the decocker isn’t one of the best designs. Not only can it be awkward, particularly to those with short fingers, there’s a lot of parts going on.

So this poll is to determine which design do you think is the best in terms of both usability and from an engineering standpoint. I’ll state my opinion up front, I’m quite fond of the P2000/P30 design. Minimal use of parts, and pretty decent location. Also, mostly ambidextrous, without the need for an additional lever. Admittedly for an in combat scenario, the Sig lever does allow you to decock without changing your grip, so that is a close second.
    what say you?

Banned
    There's no option for Third Generation S&W. I had a CZ75B for about ten years and never had a problem lowering the hammer manually. So of the available options that's my pick

I actually find the Ruger P89's manual safety/decocker, in it's later incarnation, with the extended shelf, to be quite user friendly.

Best, Jon

Personally I’m torn between Beretta and CZ’s solutions. The placement on either a 92/PX4 works about as well for me as a P-09/P-07/SP-01 does.

Maybe I need more time on either, but they both work ok for me.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

For a right handed shooter, it’s hard to beat the SIG system. The decocker is perfectly positions for using the support hand thumb while maintaining a good grip. It’s still workable for a wrong handed shooter using the the strong index finger or rolling the pistol inward and using the right thumb to push down.

At the end of the day, they are all workable. I really like my Berettas but all you need to do is dissemble one once then do the same with the SIG. The ease of use and the simple design of the SIG system is much easier to maintain, IMO.
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-07-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    There's no option for Third Generation S&W. I had a CZ75B for about ten years and never had a problem lowering the hammer manually. So of the available options that's my pick
    What’s the difference in the design between the third gen and first gen, which was included in the poll?

Site Supporter
    The Beretta and 3rd Gen Smith work very well, very ergonomically for me. And they make sense to me from an engineering standpoint: I can see exactly how safe it actually is to decock with the lever. It is completely safe.

I had a funny experience at a gun store once upon a time. I was looking at a 4006 in very good condition that had a great trigger. I didn’t buy it because I don’t need a .40, but I almost bought it anyway because it was so nice, and cheap.

Anyway, the guy behind the counter I’ve known for years. He’s worked a couple of gun stores here. He remarked as I worked the decocker that he couldn’t get to where he thought that was safe, even thought people say it is. I took it apart and showed him the firing pin block plunger and how it works, then how the decocker rolls the back section of the firing pin out of alignment with the front and puts a solid bar of steel in the way for the hammer to fall on. Pulling the trigger and manually lowering the hammer, which is what he’d been doing, circumvents all the engineering advances and safety systems put into those pistols.

Beretta and 3rd gens for me.

My favorite was the p series CZ decocker. It was in a natural place for me to decock without thinking about it and without much extra movement involved, while also being low profile enough to prevent unwanted activation. I'm currently shooting beretta's (who isn't?) for my DA/SA shooting and don't have a problem with them at all. But the p07/p09 stands out as my personal favorite.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    At the end of the day, they are all workable. I really like my Berettas but all you need to do is dissemble one once then do the same with the SIG.
    Agree, especially a real G model, assembly can be intense.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    What’s the difference in the design between the third gen and first gen, which was included in the poll?
    I assumed that “etc” meant all the rest of the Smiths.

IIRC, there was a significant engineering change from 1st to 2nd in the firing pin plunger. I don’t have one to compare to, but that’s what I remember understanding about the generational changes.

User Tag List