Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk Me Out of Buying a Motorcycle

Talk Me Out of Buying a Motorcycle

Ducati Monster will be what I buy, a used one. A 696 or 796, most likely, because aircooled and because I haven't ridden regularly in 15 years, I don't want to get over powered. Previous bike riding experience pretty much limited to dirt. I would buy all the gear and wear all the gear, because I'm not completely crazy.

I was talking to a buddy today and looking at custom Ducks. And I said, "Dude, I want a..."

"Yes, I know, a Ducati. Because you've literally brought up buying a motorcycle, specifically a Ducati, virtually every single month for the last 12-years that I've known you. So buy the damn thing and shut up already!"

Talk me out of it, because apparently, 12-years of my friends and wife hearing about my desire for a Ducati has convinced them.

@misanthropist @Rich_Jenkins (Payback for the Cayman S!) @orionz06 @AnyoneElseWhoRides

A

So, financially....you can swing it without batting an eye...?

Do it. Don’t look back

My only caveat to that would be....if I lived in a major city....I’d have a hard time commuting. That’s just dangerous

I’m in NYC daily for work. Couldn’t pay me enough to ride down there...dunno how bad Chicago is, but riding through on the interstate didn’t strike me as somewhere that would be pleasant. And I say that...as a pretty good rider, that isn’t afraid of much on the road...
    Last edited by Dan_S; 10-06-2018 at 11:06 PM.

If you can afford the maintenance schedule on the duck, do it. Check out the scramblers too. I test rode a couple at a ducati promotion, and they were like sex on wheels.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Maintenance on a Duc isn’t bad. Just don’t take it to a Duc dealer - have a good mechanic you trust work on it. They’re not that bad.

Buy it.

Hang out on ADVrider some for further enabling.

Last spring I started getting interested in bikes again after a rather long hiatus. A 49 panhead called to me. It was way out of my budget, but started the spark again. I realized the 1940s stuff, which I really liked, wasnt realistic at this point, besides no electric start. An 84 Low Rider will work. With the bad back and other body parts, a sidecar is also needed, besides allowing the dog to go along.

I decided I needed to get out more. This is one way to do it and enjoy it.

Have you filled out your organ donor card and have an advanced directive in place?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    You live in Chicago, and it's coming up in winter. Ill-considered time to buy a bike.

I live in southern AZ, and could literally ride 12 months of the year. Every single time I think about getting one, a friend of mine nearly gets his organ donor card punched wrecking his ride. A different one, at least 4 times in the past ten years.

That's not counting the guys I don't know my cop friends have scraped off the pavement.

No, thank you.

Get a convertible, or a soft-top Jeep.
    Last edited by Duelist; 10-07-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    You live in Chicago, and it's coming up in winter. Ill-considered time to buy a bike.

I live in southern AZ, and could literally ride 12 months of the year. Every single time I think about getting one, a friend of mine nearly gets his organ donor card punched wrecking his ride. A different one, at least 4 times in the past ten years.

No, thank you.

Get a convertible, or a soft-top Jeep.

Not a bad point, but...for those of us that live to ride....? The risk is what it is. I’m not living my life in fear of what might happen.

I’ve been all over the country on a motorcycle, and haven’t crashed. Yet. I went down a couple times in the woods (on a sport bike, mind you) and once on gravek when I low-sided. I’ve had multiple really close calls on the road though, but, didn’t have any ill results.

Having said that, I wouldn’t personally want to commute in traffic like what I deal with in NYC/CT. That’s my only point of hesitation when suggesting that getting a bike is worth it.

Actually, Rob is the only one that can make that call. He knows where he lives, what traffic is like, what the intended use will be, and what risk he’s ok with.

And a convertible or a Jeep. Newp. That has almost all the downside of a motorcycle, without any of the fun.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 10-07-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Student
    One of the technical instructors during my AIT was killed while riding a week later and he was dead sober with all his PPE. I've lost more battle buddies to motorcycle accidents than to alcohol and/or suicide. One has survived but he completely lost his entire memory of what happened after he PCSed from his original duty station. Physically he still somewhat resembles the junior NCO I knew but the two or three phone calls we had after he came out of his coma pretty much proved to me that personality was dead.

My dad's 2013 Heritage Softail Anniversary's still sitting in the garage. Need to replace the battery but other than that I've been told I can get at least 4500 for it from some guy who buys used bikes wholesale, but I lost his contact info months ago. None of my relatives have expressed interest but even if they did, I don't think I'd let them have it.

I just saw a guy while working this weekend who crashed while riding a Ducati. He was hit from behind by a car and dragged 150 fit. Was wearing a helmet!

1) Totally degloved his right arm from elbow to hand (also minus 3 fingers on his hand).
    2) Large left orbital floor fracture
    3) Left tiba fibula fracture.
    4) YUGE road rash on his back
    5) Broken nose.

Makes me think: carrying no gun vs riding a motorcycle --- which one will more likely get me killed on the streets.

There OP...I did as you requested...trying to talk you out of this.

User Tag List