Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Model 870's: flextab conversion a necessity?

Older Model 870's: flextab conversion a necessity?

I've got my eye on a couple of older Remington 870 Wingmasters that I'm thinking if using as base-guns for a defensive shotgun build(s). They both pre-date the flexitab modification. Is this modification necessary to a gun that will be used for shotgun training classes, home defense, etc.?

Site Supporter
    Since I can't be 100% certain of never having a stoppage, especially if operating the gun under duress, I've decided that I want flexitab parts in any 870 that I might need for serious purposes. But, it's an easy choice for me, because I'm at a point in my life where spending $130 on Flexitab parts isn't really a big deal and I'm not having to sacrifice something else in return. If I was on a tight budget, I could easily see accepting a little risk and going without the mod for awhile.

Installing the conversion kit is easy, so I certainly wouldn't rule out an older gun that was otherwise suitable.

I'm interested to hear what other members think.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I've got my eye on a couple of older Remington 870 Wingmasters that I'm thinking if using as base-guns for a defensive shotgun build(s). They both pre-date the flexitab modification. Is this modification necessary to a gun that will be used for shotgun training classes, home defense, etc.?
    Since training classes were mentioned, one without the conversion can be tried. If you do short stroke the action, the benefit of the Flexitab conversion will become apparent. The gun can be tied up so badly that the stock can be cracked or it needs to be field-stripped to clear the jam. A shell latch failure can also induce the condition.

I shoot the 870 for trap and skeet, have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through 870 guns, and I still convert my older guns.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’ve had some with and some without. I wouldn’t bother on a bird gun, lock up the gun and it’s no more than an inconvenience. For anything serious, you want it. Time is a luxury you might not have.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll add the cost of the flexitab parts to my build-budget.

Class? No.
    Home defense? Absolutely.

So if you get a shell jammed on the lifter without a flextab, you need to put the shotgun on safe, hold down the slide release, hold the fore end and use it to drive the butt of the stock into the ground. If you have a flex tab, you'll just need to pump a little harder.

I've only had problems when a shell latch came unstaked and every single round was getting jammed on the lifter.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Since training classes were mentioned, one without the conversion can be tried. If you do short stroke the action, the benefit of the Flexitab conversion will become apparent. The gun can be tied up so badly that the stock can be cracked or it needs to be field-stripped to clear the jam. A shell latch failure can also induce the condition.

I shoot the 870 for trap and skeet, have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through 870 guns, and I still convert my older guns.
    Agreed. There is no “if” you will short stoke a pump gun, it is when and how bad. If Rob Haught can short stoke a pump gun so can you or I.

If you have short stoked a pump gun you just haven’t shot one one enough.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I've only had problems when a shell latch came unstaked and every single round was getting jammed on the lifter.
    According to Brownells, the shall latches do not need to be staked for proper operation. Staking makes reassembly easier by holding the latches into the receiver, that's it. If you are having a problem with a shell latch, definitely replace it rather than messing around with staking. They are cheap and easy to replace, especially if the latch is unstaked. My first 870 I got at 15 developed a bad shell latch, which would doublefeed which was a real PITA. I tried restaking, which kind of worked for awhile, and finally ended up replacing the left side latch which fixed the problem entirely. I noticed that the area on the old latch barely engaged the rim of the shell, and the new one put a lot more material on the rim, thus keeping shells from slipping by.

According to Brownells
    I've read a lot of things about the way things are supposed to be, and have found that life doesn't always work that way.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Midway has the 870 Police bolts now, which were hard to find for awhile. That along with a new carrier or the Police trigger assembly (which has the Flexitab carrier) is what you need for the conversion:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...e-police-matte

User Tag List