Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Your Own Wedge?

Making Your Own Wedge?

Has anyone made their own wedge for AIWB holsters?

The wedge I buy with the holsters work well... for about a week. Watched Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski's video on AIWB concealment for big guys and I got a foam block and some sticky velcro at WalMart. Cut up a block with my Delica, but it isn't pretty. If you need a visual, it's like cutting that packing Styrofoam where chunks pop off as you're making cuts.

Any tips on making clean cuts and shaping, etc? Is it possible to make a Tennicor-style tapered wedge without compromising the foam?
    Last edited by Jay585; 10-06-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I make my own out of gardening kneelers from Home Depot. I shape them as needed and just glue them direct to my holsters. They are firm enough to not really lose their shape but are comfy.

yoga mats work too.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I make my own out of gardening kneelers from Home Depot. I shape them as needed and just glue them direct to my holsters. They are firm enough to not really lose their shape but are comfy.
    Does that work out for you? I've always thought those things were one step above a sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    yoga mats work too.
    Kind of thin for what I need, or do you double up?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I’ve used a razor blade on 3/4” pipe insulation then added velcro from Amazon.

Use a flame to “seal” the “opened” closed cell foam surface to be like the outside of the pipe foam if you like.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

What kind of foam did you buy? Yoga blocks should work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Has anyone made their own wedge for AIWB holsters?

The wedge I buy with the holsters work well... for about a week. Watched Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski's video on AIWB concealment for big guys and I got a foam block and some sticky velcro at WalMart. Cut up a block with my Delica, but it isn't pretty. If you need a visual, it's like cutting that packing Styrofoam where chunks pop off as you're making cuts.

Any tips on making clean cuts and shaping, etc? Is it possible to make a Tennicor-style tapered wedge without compromising the foam?
    I'm not sure what kind of foam you're using, but when I modified a motorcycle seat years ago to add memory foam, I cut the foam in the original seat, and the memory foam, using an electric knife.

Like this:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DEC...K500W/54593704

The cuts were pretty "clean" that way.

However, why would you care about looks? The wedge will be inside your pants, and the whole even above the belt line is supposed to be concealed from view.

An electric carving knife works well or build a hot wire cutter. Last time I cut some with a band saw and looked almost professional. As for foam.. I get good results from foam knee boards that Home Depot sells usually found in the concrete section or tool world. They are around 3” thick closed cell foam.

Don’t believe it’s been mentioned but I’ve been using Melody Lauers Holster Hack suggestion of a Dr. Scholl’s lady’s gel heel pad with good results for quite a while:

http://melodylauer.com/2015/03/the-aiwb-holster-hack/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Don’t believe it’s been mentioned but I’ve been using Melody Lauers Holster Hack suggestion of a Dr. Scholl’s lady’s gel heel pad with good results for quite a while:

http://melodylauer.com/2015/03/the-aiwb-holster-hack/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been using these on a DSG holster for my Shield for about a year now. Works great.
    I'm a bit low tech though and used black Duct tape to secure it.

I too learned of it from Melody's blog post.

User Tag List