Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CHP Chase on NAS Lemoore

I'm sure there are more expensive ways for an FA-18 to take out two idiots. This one didn't even have to leave the tarmac.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    If I recall my ROE briefing received before deploying to Iraq in 2004, that is a straight up deadly force usage without further discussion.
    OCONUS it still is. CONUS it’s subject to the Installation Commander’s rules, but generally speaking on USAF installations, if you gate run then have a flight line incursion you can expect to get shot at.

Many will overestimate the security of DOD installations, the function of security technology in use, the discretion entry controllers are empowered with to terminate events such as these, and the boldness of senior leaders in their decision making.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-09-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    OCONUS it still is. CONUS it’s subject to the Installation Commander’s rules, but generally speaking on USAF installations, if you gate run then have a flight line incursion you can expect to get shot at.
    Have there been any incidents like this in recent history where DOD base trespassers were shot at?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Have there been any incidents like this in recent history where DOD base trespassers were shot at?
    Yep. There was one in England not too long ago, and one down south as well. A northern tier base had a gate runner get smacked by the bollards not too long ago as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    If I recall my ROE briefing received before deploying to Iraq in 2004, that is a straight up deadly force usage without further discussion.
    If they still had Marine guards at the Naval Air Station, this may apply:

https://www.battleskillstest.com/usm...fantry-skills/

Two of the eight conditions that justify use of deadly force:

Assets Vital to National Security. Deadly force is authorized when deadly force reasonably appears to be necessary to prevent the actual theft or sabotage of assets vital to national security.
    Example: Terrorist trying to steal highly classified information.

Inherently Dangerous Property. Deadly force is authorized when deadly force reasonably appears to be necessary to prevent the actual theft or sabotage of inherently dangerous property.
    Example: Terrorist trying to steal weapons or ammo.

As an F/A-18 contains both classified gear and is property dangerous to others, ventilating him should be righteous.

I am familiar with a situation that happened at MCAS Yuma years ago, where a TV reporter was trying to do an expose on "lax security" by sneaking across a flightline.

He had a very, very bad evening as a result.

We had those eight rules drilled into us constantly. LL's experience was likely similar.

The fact that the F/A-18 got the kills is hilarious.

Hope someone sneaky doodles two little people on the nose.
    Last edited by Peally; 10-14-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

When I saw the video, my jaw dropped. I got sent to NAS Lemoore in 1983 for training on A-7s after I returned from a tour overseas. Back then, they had armed Marines on the gates and it wasn't advisable to run them. Post 9/11, I can't imagine how these fools got on the base except by smashing through a normally closed gate that wasn't manned.

As for the "chase" itself, there couldn't have been a better place for it to occur. I know some things will have changed but, back in 1983, NAS Lemoore sat way, way out in the middle of farm country. You had to travel a pretty good ways just to get to a small town. I am surprised that the CHP chopper was allowed to operate in the airspace while jets were launching without the tower giving them either strict guidance on where they could be or orders to leave immediately.

Lastly, the world is a tough place if you're going through life stupid. The miscreants found that out...with finality. As for the damage to the plane, they probably hit it in the best place they could have to cause the least amount of damage and the easiest to fix.

User Tag List