Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CHP Chase on NAS Lemoore

He just felt the need, the need for speed...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

These things happen. It sucks. The only real problem is that the vehicle made it onto the flight line and then hit a plane. Epic failure.

I was a leo when to two very high dui illegals drove up to to the main gate of a local AFB. They were lost. Did I mention they were zooming on meth? Long story they ran the gate and were stopped when security hit the security barrier. It took the tow truck quite a bit of effort to pull the truck off the barrier because the engine block was bent around the barrier. It was a mess.

I would have charged the driver with dui except....after they hit the barrier I could no longer tell who the driver was and who the passenger was. Neither could security. It was like shaking up a snow globe but instead of flakes it was humans. Second I could not charge someone who was in a coma, which both of them were. Seat belts work but only if you use them.

Moral of the story....security barriers work if you have them, they are properly made and you use them.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I won't go into specifics of force protection on military bases, but, suffice it to say VERY few installations have pop up bollards on exterior gates. If someone wants to blow through them, they usually can - happens a lot, without SECO's getting fired over it, usually. Not sure about the geography of Lemoore, but it sounded like CHP was having trouble reaching their Watch Commander to get them informed/involved - which would be a bigger issue to me...

And because it's a brave new world, the families will probably sue CHP and the Air Force.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    And because it's a brave new world, the families will probably sue CHP and the Air Force.
    It's a Navy base.

I went to C school there, advanced composite repair for aircraft, in 97'

This incident actually happened in 2016 https://abc30.com/news/chp-chase-end...moore/1270233/

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/04/..._to_30_ye.html

This was my case back when I did THI.

We have seen barriers installed here since then. Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    It's a Navy base.
    Hence the NAS and Super Hornets.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I can’t speak to how physical security works on Naval installations; I do know that most AFB have installed pop-up bollards specifically to counter this type of threat. Of course, pop up bollards are only as good as the people manning the switch.

Site Supporter
    If I recall my ROE briefing received before deploying to Iraq in 2004, that is a straight up deadly force usage without further discussion.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    If I recall my ROE briefing received before deploying to Iraq in 2004, that is a straight up deadly force usage without further discussion.
    Hell, at Marana, we were informed that crossing the flight line on to the CIA's side of the base was a shooting offense, and we were all sworn LEOs.

(I never bothered to test the warning...though the CIA cordially allowed us to take advantage of some benefits...such as skydiving, which was awesome.),
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List