Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHP Chase on NAS Lemoore

CHP Chase on NAS Lemoore

This is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen.

It is a 20 minute video, which is long, but worth it. It's got amazing thermal footage.

Long story short, guy in a jeep gets on the flight line at NAS Lemoore (!) while evading the CHP and crashes into a goddamn Super Hornet.

I was going to put this in GD, but I am really interested in hearing from LE about this event. I'm absolutely amazed this guy was not stopped before he DROVE INTO A FIGHTER JET. (Of course I mean this in earnest. I know nothing about military base security or law enforcement or anything of the sort and wouldn't pretend. This is just an amazing thing to me and want to talk about it.)
    Last edited by JDM; 10-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Surprised that video made it into the public sphere.

Also, the collision instantly killed the truck's passenger and mortally injured the driver.

It's pretty obvious that Gomer and Goober are still in charge in many places around the country.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

After watching the video i can only hope the Officer in charge of base security has been relieved of all responsibilities. In this Post-911 world we live in what a complete embarrassment!!!

I remember when a guy went crazy on I-5, the section that goes through Camp Pendleton, and called a tow truck driver in order to to shoot him. A Marine driving past saw the wounded tow truck driver, stopped, and helped him to safety. Then the Marine MPs showed up and killed that crazy shooter, got the job done.
    #RESIST

In terms of how most chases are handled these days, letting the suspect dictate the outcome of the chase and using no more force than officer presence, that was handled appropriately. If there's an appropraite place to let someone evade until they wreck out, that's about as close as it's going to get.

It's amazing how people will expect some type of violent LE intervention to protect grounded airplanes, but won't give a second thought to criminals on a public road, crashing into an occupied car and killing innocent people.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    We have funding for planes, pilots, fuel, etc but insufficient funds for physical security and security forces

I guess it is a good thing it wasn't Tim McVeigh driving that jeep. Wonder if this video is being viewed in a cave in Afghanistan? Anyone here can tell me approximately how much one of them jet planes cost?

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    I guess it is a good thing it wasn't Tim McVeigh driving that jeep. Wonder if this video is being viewed in a cave in Afghanistan? Anyone here can tell me approximately how much one of them jet planes cost?
    Back in the 80s when we first started buying the Hornet, I think they were 40-50 million per jet. Today I think the Super Bug is running more around 70-80 million per jet.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    In terms of how most chases are handled these days, letting the suspect dictate the outcome of the chase and using no more force than officer presence, that was handled appropriately. If there's an appropraite place to let someone evade until they wreck out, that's about as close as it's going to get.

It's amazing how people will expect some type of violent LE intervention to protect grounded airplanes, but won't give a second thought to criminals on a public road, crashing into an occupied car and killing innocent people.
    I hear what you're saying. What surprises me, though, is that a pair of drunken idiots can just drive onto the flight line of an active duty air base without so much as a peep from base security. I guess there was a hole in the fence big enough to drive a jeep through? Also, the tower was aware of the CHP helicopter following, but it wasn't clear to me from the radio traffic if the CHP notified the tower of the intrusion.

User Tag List