Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W Model 18

Nice! I have it's brother here, great .22. Mine had the same issue, cases stuck real bad. I ended up sending it back to Smith and Wesson. They fixed it on their dime and paid shipping both ways. Can't beat that service for an old 18 I picked up used.

Site Supporter
    Whelp, between work and finishing the semester at school and my deer hunt, I didn't get a chance to shoot this thing again till this afternoon. I'd been using CCI minimags because they just about always run in just about any .22. Not this one. What does it like? Federal bulk box of 550. Rounds drop in like they're supposed to, fire, and eject with a press of the thumb. Nit super accurate, but plenty good enough for plinking and bumming around duties. SHot a couple hundred of them, and I'd still be out there but it got cold and dark.

Ran some hotter Winchester marketed as hunting ammo. Much more accurate, but also a sharper bark, a little bit of recoil, and harder extraction. Hunting ammo it is!

Fun little gun.

Site Supporter
    Bumping this instead of posting a new thread. I already have a “nice” M18 but stumbled across this one a few months back. M18s don’t grow on trees and the price was right. It came with Magnas but they are too smal for my hands so Goodyear’s it is.

Name:  41989036-0B8D-49B4-970D-863DB99284C7.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  65.4 KB

The gun is accurate when I do my part but I noticed I would get FTF / light strikes on two of the chambers, since tracked down to numbers 4 & 5. As you can see the chamber mouths are a little chewed up from some dry fire.

Name:  BE2F42CF-88B6-41B3-8015-68E9D382A598.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  30.4 KB

Any suggestions on where to send this thing for some TLC ? Does Karl Sokol work on rimfires ?
    Last edited by HCM; 04-14-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A drop or two of JB Weld, it’ll be fine.....

(Not really. Don’t do that.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Bumping this instead of posting a new thread. I already have a “nice” M18 but stumbled across this one a few months back. M18s don’t grow on trees and the price was right. It came with Magnas but they are too smal for my hands so Goodyear’s it is.

The gun is accurate when I do my part but I noticed I would get FTF / light strikes on two of the chambers, since tracked down to numbers 4 & 5. As you can see the chamber mouths are a little chewed up from some dry fire.

Any suggestions on where to send this thing for some TLC ? Does Karl Sokol work on rimfires ?
    If perchance it ends up getting a replacement cylinder (hopefully not), I have need of a 22 cylinder, and a buggered up one would work for my project.

It is an easy fix if you are handy. Find a punch or awl with a long taper that fits the chambers to iron out the edges and then clean up the rim area with small diamond tip bits in the Dremel. Its really simple and straight forward.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    It is an easy fix if you are handy. Find a punch or awl with a long taper that fits the chambers to iron out the edges and then clean up the rim area with small diamond tip bits in the Dremel. Its really simple and straight forward.
    I know my limitations. I can detail strip guns but the D word (Dremel) is my limit.

Old Model 18s are just plain Cool!

Mine (a pre series) has the same malady, in that some yahoo had to dry fired it a bit too much before it came into my possession. I keep meaning to get it smoothed up, but it has been down the list priority wise. The rimfire central link is something I may have to research a bit more pretty soon.

The old K Frame is one that is destined to go to one of my girls, so I need to make sure it is squared away, sooner rather than later. Every little girl should inherit a .22 handgun from their daddy!

Duelist,

Once you get the kinks worked out, I bet you will have a blast with yours.

They are well balanced little guns, and truly a joy.

The 4" M18 and a Marlin Mountie .22 Lever action are like an elk steak and a big old Idaho Spud with lots of butter! They just go together!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Name:  41989036-0B8D-49B4-970D-863DB99284C7.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  BE2F42CF-88B6-41B3-8015-68E9D382A598.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  30.4 KB

This guy is excellent:

Doug Phillips
    625 Mill St.
    Wake Forest, NC 27587
    Email: xlordsguitars@gmail.com

He is over at the Cast Boolits Forum as DougGuy and he is in the business of refining revolver cylinder throats for optimum dimensions for cast bullet use and fixes rimfire cylinder dry fire burrs, too. Excellent guy!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    This guy is excellent:

Doug Phillips
    625 Mill St.
    Wake Forest, NC 27587
    Email: xlordsguitars@gmail.com

He is over at the Cast Boolits Forum as DougGuy and he is in the business of refining revolver cylinder throats for optimum dimensions for cast bullet use and fixes rimfire cylinder dry fire burrs, too. Excellent guy!
    Thanks !

User Tag List