Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observations in response to suggestions by zuplex

Observations in response to suggestions by zuplex

mod note: written in response to a post in another thread

@zuplex, due to diminishing mental acuity, I no longer command the skills to put into writing clear and concise comments as I once did. However, I will give you a few personal observations and will post them in the general handgun section as you suggested.

Be forewarned, I am not authority on firearms. I am simply one who has long enjoyed the pleasure of ownership of many firearms. These then are my personal observations and recollections.

My first handling of firearms came in the 1930’s. An uncle had two .22 rifles and at times took me with him hiking to the Baldwin Hills in Los Angeles. There we shot at rocks, vegetation and the infrequent hare or squirrel. During our hike from the populated streets to the hills, we encountered others in cars or walking as we were doing. None appeared to be curious about our carrying rifles. In the late 1940’s war years, this changed. We could no longer walk with a rifle without seeing apprehension or even fear on the faces of the people we met along the way.

In 1948 I handled my first sidearm while in training as a Naval Aircrewman. Then, I was instructed in the handling of both a revolver and semiautomatic pistols. When flying I carried an M&P .38 model 10 revolver in a shoulder holster. I was issued a Colt 1911 pistol when on collateral duty as the squadrons’ courier.

I was not proficient with either of these sidearms. I attribute this to the lack of continued instruction and infrequent target practice – plus the fact, that only the ordnance men in our squadron were able to maintain our issued weapons. Thus, I only knew how to hold, aim and fire the sidearm.

In 1955 when back as a civilian, I began in earnest to handle, own, shoot and maintain firearms. Since then I have owned a large number of both sidearms and long arms. Some were inexpensive, others moderately priced and a select number were high-end custom weapons.

One lesson learned here is that price does not always equal quality. A few of the more expensive ones proved to be lemons and a few of the inexpensive ones proved to be really quality weapons. All of the custom guns have been exceptional!

Another lesson learned is that not every weapon is able to meet every need. As an example, I found my accuracy was much better when I shot targets with a long-radius revolver than say a compact pistol; or, that a high caliber rifle was not as easily handled or effective at short distances as a smaller caliber carbine. These might appear obvious to most, but to one in the learning stage, it was trial and error.

It seems to me that four major changes have occurred during my gun ownership days. First, increase in power and shape of ammunition. As ammo became more powerful and with the emergence of the hollow point, I found it advantageous to move from one caliber to another.

Second, the increased capacity of semiautomatics motivated me to change my EDC from revolvers to pistols,
    Third, the great new designs that emerged such as with the Glock pistols, allowed me to move from the 1911 to the striker –fire pistols. This resulted in me being able to carry a higher capacity and arguably more reliable pistol without giving up the accuracy of a 1911.

Fourth is the public perception of firearms. The horrific wave of domestic shootings has brought about a great schism in our society. The lawless, mentally deranged and radical anarchists are the ones who have committed terrible, Violent and evil actions against the innocents in society. Overwhelmingly, gun owners are serious, careful and peaceful members of society. They act with responsibility and prudence.

It is because of the hysteria of the times that I no longer open carry in public here in my home state of Arizona. Years ago I open carried and it was not an issue. But, with the great influx of new residents each year along with the screaming of the anti-gun people, I find it more prudent and non-confrontational to simply carry my EDC concealed.

zuplex, I trust these comments adequately respond to your suggestion. If not, let me know.

Keep Safe!
    Last edited by aimtrue; 10-05-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Thank you sir, please continue as you can.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Here are photos of a few of my favorite owned sidearms and one of me with my issued model 10 in shoulder holster.
    Smython (S&W model 19 wth Colt Python Barrel)
    Ruger GP100-4
    S&W686-4
    Ed Brown Class A Limited
    Les Baer Government Custom
    Wilson Combat 1911A2
    Cameron’s Custom 1911 Government
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by aimtrue; 10-05-2018 at 02:39 PM.

And, a few of my striker-fire favorites.
    Glock 21
    FNS-40
    M&P M2.0
    Ruger SR9
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Site Supporter
    Those pictures really show just how soulless plastic guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Those pictures really show just how soulless plastic guns are.
    Glock.

A soulless Teutonic killing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by aimtrue View Post
    Here are photos of a few of my favorite owned sidearms and one of me with my issued model 10 in shoulder holster.
    Smython (S&W model 19 wth Colt Python Barrel)
    Ruger GP100-4
    S&W686-4
    Ed Brown Class A Limited
    Les Baer Government Custom
    Wilson Combat 1911A2
    Cameron’s Custom 1911 Government
    Just ... Wow. Respect.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Cool thread.

The first photo shows what we had to choose from back then. Revolvers or 1911's in 45ACP.

The Wonder 9's came later.

Thanks for sharing some of your story, aimtrue!

I'm curious; how do you think the war changed the perceptions of folks back stateside regarding firearms?

zuplex, Americans and guns have been hotly debated since WWII. Advocates supporting the 2nd Amendment often point to the guerrilla tactics used in the Revolution where common citizens used their trusty home weapons to ambush the British. And, then there is the unsubstantiated quote from Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto who was purported to say: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

So, Americans and guns have been around since we became a nation. WWII changed many things in our country. Before then, citizens in rural areas regularly used firearms to shoot game for food . Guns were not thought to be a threat against the average citizen in cities. Anyone could buy a rifle, shotgun, revolver or pistol without having to endure legal checks as we have to do today. Cheap guns could be ordered through the Sears and Roebuck catalog or gotten from neighborhood gun shops without the buyer being impeded.

Until after WWII, there were only single, double and six shooter capacity firearms available. High capacity guns are of recent times. Thus, in peacetime, mass shootings other than those such as the Valentine Massacre never happened.

It was not until after WWII that America was interconnected by a modern highway system. President Eisenhower was so impressed with the German Autobahn that enabled quick troop movements through Germany that he pushed for a similar system that connected American cities from north to south and east to west. This was a tremendous thing for travel. But, it did make it easier for a law breaker to flee an area and put distance away from the scene of a crime.

In recent times we have been attacked by foreign as well as domestic terrorists. School shootings have occurred with the attackers being students themselves. Deranged workers have killed co-workers at their place of business. Criminals have shot it out with law enforcement using high capacity weapons. These things did not happen before WWII.

Under the Constitution, responsible citizens have the right to have and use firearms. I am a supporter of that right. I do not identify the gun as the problem we face today. Violence whether committed using a car, knife, gun or whatever is committed by a person using a tool of his/her choice.

Perhaps my stressing this aspect is not what you asked. However, we gun owners are being savaged by the anti-gun crowd when they should be directing their energies and anger elsewhere.

I did not intend to be pedantic when I began to respond to your questions. If the administrator believes I have missed the boat in my comments, please close this thread.

User Tag List