Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 slide is locking back under recoil... (Beater Pistol Project continued)

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    If it’s not that you could try a new plunger spring or putting a dimple on the slide lock.
    The dimple... My thought was, when the parts got ceracoated, that the dimple was filled in flush... I need to check that when I get home.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    For me this same problem was caused by the lateral nose of a bullet in the mag hitting the the inner lug of slide stop. Gently filing or stoning this area is the fix. With slide removed and loaded mag installed, you can diagnose by inspecting. Also the offending area may show copper marking from bullets. This event with your pistol is one more example of a part that should have been fitted but was not.
    Last edited by willie; 10-05-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    For me this same problem was caused by the lateral nose of a bullet in the mag hitting the the inner lug of slide stop. Gently filing or stoning this area is the fix. With slide removed and loaded mag installed, you can diagnose by inspecting. Also the offending area may show copper marking from bullets. This event with your pistol is one more example of a part that should have been fitted but was not.
    This is the most likely cause. I had the same issue with a .45 and you'll see burnishing on the inside of the slide stop lobe if it is.

However, changing the plunger springs and plungers isn't a bad idea as well, especially if they're original to the gun and you've been shooting it for a bit. Also maybe check to make sure the plunget tube is still on tight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Slide stop dimple is a delicate proposition.
    Too little and you still get prematures.
    Too much and it doesn't engage when empty.
    I have read of a slight bevel, bottom to top.

Bullet bump was my problem.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

When I had this issue, I put a few horizontal very light ridges/scratches on the rear face with a file, same place as the dimple above. Fixed it for good.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Are the rounds hitting the slide release?
    Some bullet profiles are worse than others. Maybe try some different ammo?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I had the same issue with a Kimber Desert Warrior a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    The dimple... My thought was, when the parts got ceracoated, that the dimple was filled in flush... I need to check that when I get home.
    Additionally, perhaps ceracoat buildup on the plunger tube is not letting the plunger out all the way.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

9mm 1911 slide is locking back under recoil... (Beater Pistol Project continued)

Soooo, looks like a combination of issues.

The rounds may be rubbing the inside of the slide stop, but it is just barely.

The slide stop itself has no dimple... but the rub marks show where it makes contact... or used to make contact.

Lastly, this video shows that the plunger is NOT making contact with the slide stop. So, as mentioned above, the ceracoat may be thick enough to be restricting plunger movement.

(Well, can’t upload the video... &#129335

Lots to tweak. I took on this project as a learning experience to try and get a better understanding of the 1911 in general. But it makes me appreciate shit that works out of the box (looking at you Glock, Beretta, HK, some Sigs)...

Sent from my iPhone
    (So Excuse the typos)
    Last edited by Gadfly; 10-06-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

So the answer is

D) All of the above

Looks as if the fix won't be too terrible.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List