Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 slide is locking back under recoil... (Beater Pistol Project continued)

9mm 1911 slide is locking back under recoil... (Beater Pistol Project continued)

9mm 1911 slide locking back, under recoil, with rounds still in mag...

Finally got my "Beater Pistol Project" 1911 fitted with sights. Excited, I went to shot it and... about every 3 or 4 rounds, the slide is locking back under recoil. At first I thought I might be having feeding issues, but, it is definitely slide lock engaging.

With Glock and Beretta I would just install an new spring in the slide catch. With a 1911... not as sure what to do.

My first thought is to replace the spring in the plunger tube. My other concern is, this pistol has been ceracoated. So I am wondering if the coating on the slide catch is somehow allowing the part to move more freely under recoil?
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

That is 20 rounds quickly fired, at 7 yards. It is a sweet shooter. But about 1.5” high at 7 yard. For a Tisis, not terrible. You can somewhat polish a turd.

Sent from my iPhone
    (So Excuse the typos)
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Nice Grips!!!

David of vcdgrips.com

what brand of turd are we talking about here?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    what brand of turd are we talking about here?
    A Tisis ZIG series 70 1911 in 9mm....

It is basically a Tisis slide/barrel/frame, but most of the guts/action are Wilson..
    I bought it as a non working gun for next to nothing, and folks have raided thier parts bins to help me get it running.
    It is surprisingly accurate and soft shooting. Just needs work in the reliability dept...

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Nice Grips!!!
    Indeed they are! Some nice guy donated to the cause...

It has been slow collecting the pieces, but it is coming together. Was REALLY excited about the donated sights, only to find them grouping high... not sure how I am going to rectify that on the cheap.

Are the rounds hitting the slide release?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Indeed they are! Some nice guy donated to the cause...

It has been slow collecting the pieces, but it is coming together. Was REALLY excited about the donated sights, only to find them grouping high... not sure how I am going to rectify that on the cheap.
    Does the manufacturer offer different heights of that front sight or rear sight? If so you could try to contact them and see if they would swap you for a taller front sight or a shorter rear sight.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Are the rounds hitting the slide release?
    I did not notice it, but I did not look that closely. Since it was not consistently occurring, I did not consider that.

If it’s not that you could try a new plunger spring or putting a dimple on the slide lock.

Attachment 31000
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List