Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E-forms Form 1 is back !

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    So, I have a new lower I was going to SBR someday into a family trust. Is a Form 1 preferable? And is the online version faster than paper?

(apologies for the questions, I'm a total NFA noob)
    A form 1 is the only way to “make” and NFA item like and SBR.

The only other option is to buy a factory SBR or SBR lower which you would obtain via a form 4.

The only real difference is if you “make” and SBR by registering your lower once the tax stamp is approved you must engrave the lower with the “Makers” name, city and state. Obviously this make your SBR less attractive if you ever tried to resell it.

The last time e forms was availible it was faster than paper but at that time trust transactions did not require fingerprints and photos so it’s hard to say if that wil still be the case. Apparently the FBI fingerprint check is a bottleneck.

Do E-forms work for individual with fingerprints and CLEO?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Do E-forms work for individual with fingerprints and CLEO?
    The website clearly states it is for both trusts and individuals.

There is no more CLEO approval requirement for individuals, just CLEO notifications. That went away with the 41f changes a couple years ago.

Those same changes also extended the fingerprint and photo requirements to trusts. In other words everyone must now do FP and photos.

The current e forms allows you to upload the photo and print out a cover letter with your application number on it which is mailed in with your fingerprint cards.

I suspect eventually the fingerprints will be submitted electronically but we aren’t there yet.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-06-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

The only real difference is if you “make” and SBR by registering your lower once the tax stamp is approved you must engrave the lower with the “Makers” name, city and state. Obviously this make your SBR less attractive if you ever tried to resell it.
    Not to be a stickler, but no. You do not have to engrave the lower. Engraving the barrel is perfectly acceptable.

This would obviate any concern about resale value, or simply cosmetic desires if SBR’ing a collectible or otherwise irreplaceable lower receiver.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Not to be a stickler, but no. You do not have to engrave the lower. Engraving the barrel is perfectly acceptable.

This would obviate any concern about resale value, or simply cosmetic desires if SBR’ing a collectible or otherwise irreplaceable lower receiver.
    That’s the first I’ve heard of engraving the barrel - I’d like to see a source for that since on something like an AR the barrel is not the “firearm.”

There are also people who claim you don’t need to engrave a form 1 item unless you plan to sell or transfer it to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That’s the first I’ve heard of engraving the barrel - I’d like to see a source for that since on something like an AR the barrel is not the “firearm.”

There are also people who claim you don’t need to engrave a form 1 item unless you plan to sell or transfer it to someone else.
    Not being snotty here in the least - it’s been a long time and I’m not in the mood to try to find it on my phone.

If you dig through the regulation, it’s clear that the barrel is an acceptable location for engraving - says it in black and white, barrel or receiver...both OK.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 10-06-2018 at 11:40 PM.

As to the concern about the barrel not being ‘part’ of the firearm....

It’s not the lower itself that is the SBR. When in configuration, yes....but....

If you put a >16 inch barrel on an AR, it’s no longer an SBR, and not subject to transportation notification across state lines, etc. No barrle that I’m aware of in integral to the frame or receiver across any type of firearm so whether the barrel is attached or not is a non issues, because due to various atf rulings and such, it’s been made clear the receiver or LOWER or frame by itself isn’t what constitutes the SBR...

Hopefully that makes sense.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 10-06-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Alright:

ATF 5300.4 27 CFR 479.102

(1) on frame or receiver the serial number

(2) on frame receiver or barrel the following

(A) model

(B) calibre

(C) name

(D) city and state with abbreviated state name allowed

Must be casted engraved or stamped to a depth of at least .003 and in the instance of serial number no less than 1/16 inch print size.

Dan_S is correct. From the NFA Handbook published by the BATFE.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...ter-6/download

Chapter 6, section 6.2.1, third paragraph.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.

As the person submitting the Form 1, you are the "maker".

Hope that helps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Dan_S is correct. From the NFA Handbook published by the BATFE.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...ter-6/download

Chapter 6, section 6.2.1, third paragraph.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.

As the person submitting the Form 1, you are the "maker".

Hope that helps.
    So with an AR, if I engrave the barrel, and have more than one upper, say a .33LR, a 5.56, and a .300 BO would I need to engrave all three ?

User Tag List