Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRAIL GUNS (for me)

GRAIL GUNS (for me)

Found these by pure good fortune. A Smith 22-4 and a 14-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Found these by pure good fortune. A Smith 22-4 and a 14-3.

There is something about the model 14s that make me want to carry one on duty. I know it's insane, and maybe it's the ghost of Martin Milner influencing me, but I really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    There is something about the model 14s that make me want to carry one on duty. I know it's insane, and maybe it's the ghost of Martin Milner influencing me, but I really like them.
    Agreed. I’m going to get a duty rig for this one and qualify with it. I’ll wear it at parades and presentations.

That 22 is gorgeous, I love large frame fixed sighted six-guns in a Tom Threepersons holster for woods carry.

I have an empty one I need to fill

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Agreed. I’m going to get a duty rig for this one and qualify with it. I’ll wear it at parades and presentations.

What kind of holster are you going to get? Speed strip pouches or speed loaders?

What kind of holster are you going to get? Speed strip pouches or speed loaders?
    I like AE Nelson revolver holsters. I have this one for my 681:

I’m a fan of muzzle forward (from Darryl, “AKA correct cant,”) duty holsters. If I could find a leather shop to make me a reverse cant shank for my Safariland 3 hole pattern 7360, I would.

Makes drawing with old shoulders far easier. Chuck Haggard and of course Darryl agree with me.

Oh, and for duty, I wear speedloaders on my strong side and shell loops on my center (buckless belt) or just left of center with a buckled belt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That 22 is gorgeous, I love large frame fixed sighted six-guns in a Tom Threepersons holster for woods carry.

I have an empty one I need to fill
    Me too. Something like that 22 but in 44special would be ideal for traipsing around the VA mountains.

FWIW, there was a special run of fixed sight 629s several years ago. Unfortunately, they were 2.5" barrels. They looked like giant S&W 66es. The one I saw was about $800, which was a bit high for a 629, but not obscenely so. At the time, I was unaware of the special run, so I wasn't sure if it was a gunsmith special or legit. I passed on it, only to learn about it later.

Had I purchased it, it would see nothing more than 44mag cases loaded with Trailboss and a 240gr SWC.

Chris

Great looking guns! A "grail gun" deserves a grail holster; you might check out Mike Barranti's work. He does custom carving, you just give him the outlines of a design and he'll take it from there. He made a "grail holster" for one of my grail guns, my "Oregon 45" 45 Colt Bowen Nimrod:

That 22 is a great gun, particularly with the pinned front sight making new sights easy to install. You might try it with 45 Auto-Rim and some RCBS-270SAA bullets; they provide a heck of a thump and I've used them in my S&W M25 and my Model of 1950 Army. Here's the '50 Army, sort of a long-barreled grandpa to your M22-4:

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Great looking guns! A "grail gun" deserves a grail holster; you might check out Mike Barranti's work. He does custom carving, you just give him the outlines of a design and he'll take it from there. He made a "grail holster" for one of my grail guns, my "Oregon 45" 45 Colt Bowen Nimrod:

That 22 is a great gun, particularly with the pinned front sight making new sights easy to install. You might try it with 45 Auto-Rim and some RCBS-270SAA bullets; they provide a heck of a thump and I've used them in my S&W M25 and my Model of 1950 Army. Here's the '50 Army, sort of a long-barreled grandpa to your M22-4:

I like it! Barranti does great work on everyone else’s I’ve seen, I wasn’t particularly happy with the one rig he did for me. I had him do a SS copy for a Smith 69. It took more than a year to get (which I expect to wait), but it was so flimsy, I couldn’t reholster with the gun in my waistband...the leather was so flimsy. Really disappointing and I ended up selling it on a forum.

I’ve had good luck with fancy carved rigs from Tucker Gunleather, Simply Rugged, and I’ve heard good things from Darryl about Purdy Gear, whose, “uncarved,” gear I do have and enjoy greatly.

I wish I could find a 6” aluminum K frame dummy so I could send it to Tony Mayer for an IWB rig! I don’t have any safequeen guns, and I intend to use these.

User Tag List