Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SN VINTAGE FOR S&W Model 36, “no dash”

SN VINTAGE FOR S&W Model 36, “no dash”

Just scored this NEW, unfired. Has the original box, manual, wax paper, etc. I can’t find the letter-prefix of the serial number, and I’m trying to run down the background on this. Help please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you're already probably aware, S&W went to the "dreaded" three letter serial numbers in the early 1980s, and sequences were ofter out of alphabetical sequence...
    A guess would place your M36 somewhere in the 1983 to 1985 range, going by the S&W Catalog, Fourth Ed. To know for sure, you would have to get it lettered or post up on the smith-wessonforum for more definitive information.

If you use the Spec. Order Code on the label (which many do), that would tend to indicate the gun was shipped on the 74th. day of 1984, March 14....
    Last edited by Det1397; 10-29-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Neat pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    As you're already probably aware, S&W went to the "dreaded" three letter serial numbers in the early 1980s, and sequences were ofter out of alphabetical sequence...
    A guess would place your M36 somewhere in the 1983 to 1985 range, going by the S&W Catalog, Fourth Ed. To know for sure, you would have to get it lettered or post up on the smith-wessonforum for more definitive information.

If you use the Spec. Order Code on the label (which many do), that would tend to indicate the gun was shipped on the 74th. day of 1984, March 14....
    Copy! Thank you! Yes...I knew the dread guns were 80’s vintage. I’ve never seen a revolver outside the plastic blue box days that was in this condition and had the cardboard box, manual, etc. I got it for $225.

You absolutely walked away with that one. Congrats.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I got it for $225.
    Close to robbery. Well done.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

That prefix isn’t listed in SCSW 3rd Edition (which is one behind the current) but looks like about ‘84.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Copy! Thank you! Yes...I knew the dread guns were 80’s vintage. I’ve never seen a revolver outside the plastic blue box days that was in this condition and had the cardboard box, manual, etc. I got it for $225.

I felt a brief surge of hate and envy toward you, but that's wrong, so I'll say you really scored a deal there!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Close to robbery. Well done.
    Who is going to swear out the warrant? Great snag. I would have dislocated my shoulder reaching for my wallet....

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I felt a brief surge of hate and envy toward you, but that's wrong, so I'll say you really scored a deal there!
    Well Wayne, as the old saying goes, “even a blind hog finds a nut every once in awhile!”

I’m lucky I have an LGS that understands my collecting habits. They’re more of a, “user,” market, so these types of guns just sit in the case, unappreciated. So they let me take a crack at them. I’ve passed on a few that had issues online pry marks or pushing off. But this one is literally unfired. I’ll leave it just how it is. Probably forever.

User Tag List