Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG does something cool -- ceremonial M17

SIG ceremonial M17

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story...8-f9bc6fe9c71c

I saw this a couple of days ago. First, I think this is a cool tribute that SIG did. Second, I had never considered the possibility of making the grip module of the 250/320 out of aluminum. This raises all kinds of potential ideas.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Everybody runs down the Colt All American 2000.
    The first run in aluminum receivers, said to be made to get something on the market while plastic molds were being made, were a horse of a different color.

Maybe Sig will recover some of their investment with a deluxe commercial version.
    Or make a new General Officer's Pistol.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

That is so cool. I love how much thought went into each part of the guns. The part about marble from the tomb being used in the sights was an awesome touch as well as wood from the ship that transported the unknown soldier

Site Supporter

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Merged threads.
    Gracias.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The idea is nice, but those extended grip magazine sleeves are .... not attractive.

I would have been happy if SIG had just given them 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I can only assume the Guards carry inert/ceremonial rifles and pistols?

They don't actually have ammo in their side arms? Do they?
    According to the article on Guns.com, the M14s carried by the guards are live and operational, and the pistols carried by the Sergeants/Officers of the Guard are as well. The SOG/OOG currently carry "match grade" M9s, and will switch to these in (IIRC) October of 2019.

I used to know a major who had been a Tomb Guard in his previous existence. He would only say "Yes, the guards have the means to defend themselves and the Tomb. No, I can't tell you what those means are" So maybe Guns.com, or their source, was woofin', or may be things have changed since then. ("Then" having been 20 years ago now. Fuck. Just ship me off to the Soldiers' and Sailors' Home...)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I am not a fan of SIG's business practices, but I would have zero issue giving them (lots of) money for a commercial version of the "Tomb M17". Not sure what that says about me, but I appreciate SIG providing a suitable weapon (fully functional art) given to those who guard the Tomb of the Unknowns.

As for the Tomb guards being able to defend the tomb and themselves, that seems a necessity in this day, where terrorism, lack of respect, petty crime, and domestic upheaval are all the norm.
    Last edited by farscott; 10-07-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Commercial version isnt likely. Alot of things for The Tomb Guards are specifically made for them, and never reproduced for the public.

I used to do Honor Guard work while I was in the National Guard. Naturally the Tomb Guards are discussed often as the absolute best. I seem to remember they use Oakley glasses that aren't released to the public, a holster that is handmade and isnt sold to the public, and custom M9s. Anyone wanting a commercial version is likely out of luck.

-Cory

SIG did a nice job on this particular pistol, and the aluminum frame option is intriguing, but as a company they have a long record of producing silly "gun-of-the-month" runs. I suspect we'll see that aluminum frame again in the future, and not always as tastefully rendered.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List