Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi auto 12G

Semi auto 12G

Sorry for the late response.

If I were able to do a buy once and do a big ticket item, what’s the smart choice?

Beretta 1301 or benelli? Which benelli if that’s the answer ?

I think I’d prefer no pistol grip but not 100%. Light weight is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by newyork; 10-18-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Oils and Lotions SME
    The Beretta 1200FP/1201FP (1200 is 2.75", 1201 is 3" chamber) are available used in that price range and are dead reliable with moderate to full power ammunition. They typically don't like anemic low power ammo. They are light, and fast cycling, but there isn't a ton of aftermarket stuff available.

For a functional semi in that price range, they fit the bill.
    Last edited by Aray; 10-18-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Sorry for the late response.

If I were able to do a buy once and do a big ticket item, what’s the smart choice?

Beretta 1301 or benelli? Which benelli if that’s the answer ?

I think I’d prefer no pistol grip but not 100%. Light weight is nice.

I was in a similar position to yours, this time last year. After reading the guidance of forum members *much* smarter and more experienced than I, eventually I bought a 12 gauge Benelli M2 Field in Max5 with a 26-inch barrel. I believe it was GJM who stated his wife refers to her M2 as "her shoulder fired Glock." That statement and their recommendation carried a lot of weight.

I'm super pleased with my M2. I'm now in the process of buying things like extended mag tubes for it. The M2 is a great weapon. At 7.1 pounds, it's decently light and won't beat you to death. It's one of the predominant shotguns in 3-gun competition. There's good reason for that. They're reliable, well-built and pretty easy to modify. From an "outdoorsy use" perspective (if that matters in your choice), lots of waterfowlers like the M2 for it's reliability. I decided I didn't need 3.5-inch shells, so why pay for something I'm not gonna use?

Lots of members here also speak highly of the 1301. My advice would be to go to your LGS and check them out. See if one or the other fits you better. Go from there. Good luck in whichever you choose, sir!

I’m looking for something good for hd but I admit I do like shooting clays with friends occasionally too. I don’t hunt.

Rich

I know there's a lot of love for the 1301 on this site. I have 2 very close friends that have them and have messed around with theirs enough to have an opinion. I am nowhere near Mr. Kelley's level, but I have competed in 3gun matches with regularity for 3 years, from small outlaws to regional championship matches shooting alongside Rob Romero, Jansen Jones, Erik Lund, and other serious shotgun shooters.

To me, the 1301 is similar to the M&P. It has a lot going for it on the surface, but it keeps having these fleas creep up. I've watched a shooter live in a match do the mag-tube dump/carrier lock thing. Having to use cardboard shims to keep your lifter from locking doesn't build confidence in something as a working gun, tactically, competitively, or in field use.

The Benelli M2 (or a used M1 is fine too) really is the answer. I've owned 6 personally including an HK import 14" SBS that was NIB old stock at the shop where I used to work. ALL of them ran LE1321B (Federal Flite Control #1 Buck, reduced recoil) and Walmart bulk pack without any issues whatsoever. The only issue I've ever had with them running was when I put a Surefire forend on the SBS. Too much weight and supposedly those guns were sprung heavier. I did run an 18.5" rifle-sighted barrel gun with the same Surefire forend and had ZERO issues.

That gun patterned great with FC @ 25yds:

I've settled on the 21" vent rib version as my go-to. It's threaded for chokes (most of the 18.5" Ghost ring and rifle sight barrels are not), and the ribbed barrel and FO bead sight make it useful as an all around gun. I can hunt with it, I can shoot sporting clays with it, I can compete with it, and I can be "tactical" with it. It's short and light enough to use for defense, and I can still make solid slug hits out to 100yds on B/C steel. I've got a Nordic +5, which affords me 8 in the tube + 1 ghost loaded on the lifter + 1 in the chamber. The rest is personal preference. TTI extended and polished lifter so your thumb doesn't get stuck/bit. Beveled and polished loading port. Nordic bolt handle. I also have a GG&G light mount that is pretty out of the way but allows me to throw an X300 on the gun when I want it. These pics don't show all the mods (I'll try to take a few tonight), but gives you an idea of the overall package. In the meantime, here's a pic of a previous generation of this setup I built on a camo M1. @karmapolice borrowed it for GPSTC LE Firearms instructor and smoked everyone on the shotgun section, and he's not even a shotgun guy.

Last edited by ASH556; 10-18-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Since this thread has drifted away from the OP's 500$ price point...YES! Benelli M2 is the best choice IF
    we are tossing the 500 buck limit out the door.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Can the m2 be had with a shorter lop stock or is there one available aftermarket that doesn’t have a PG or go for the PG?

Rich

If the Beretta 1301 was priced around $650-700 (as it was when the first generation were being closed out) then I'd be more likely to buy one despite my nagging feeling that the gun is not quite a finished product and Beretta--like SIG--is using its customers as beta-testers.

As far as reliable $500 semi-auto shotguns go, a used Remington 1100 or Browning A5 will do just fine if you're willing to maintain the gun properly.
    Last edited by oregon45; 10-18-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Can the m2 be had with a shorter lop stock or is there one available aftermarket that doesn’t have a PG or go for the PG?

Per @P.E. Kelley:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post652826
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Pics of current M2 rig as promised:

Name:  F52B381F-FA31-4875-9CED-0EB8EB66F38C.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  66.2 KB
    Name:  EC10EB4C-586E-4772-A0BF-5F03BAE1633F.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  67.1 KB