Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi auto 12G

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I have yet to encounter a 930 in real life that ran properly.
    A friend of mine told me that the cheapest way to buy a Benelli was to just go in a store and buy a Benelli. He said a more expensive way was to buy a Mossberg 930, realize it wouldn't work, and take a bath on it when you traded it in on a Benelli.

I'm not 100% sure you have to buy a Benelli to have a reliable semi-auto shotgun, but every indicator I've seen has said to stay away from the Mossberg 930.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Is the Beretta 1301 competition NY legal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    While t doesn’t meet the criteria set forth in the OP, I’m curious if anyone has any experience with the FN SLP and how it rates.
    Mine would run on regular bird loads and even the low recoil stuff but it was on the line I think. I talked to a FN service rep and he told to ignore the manual and use the light piston for ALL 2.75" loads, that the heavy piston was setup for 3" mags. It was sensitive to the crimp on cheap bulk shells and always ran on STS or AA ammo. It did shoot very soft, but I didn't like the ergos and it swung like a lead baseball bat. Never had an issue with the piston spring but know others that did. I moved to a Benelli Vincy which is a dream in comparison. It's just so much lighter feeling and faster swinging to target.

For a serious high round count auto gun (along the lines of 3gun) I'd rank them like this:
    Benelli
    Beretta 1301
    Browning Auto 5 (the old ones)
    Remington Versamax with reliability smithing done on it.

You can add the Stoeger in with the understanding it may not hold up to many 1000's of rounds like the others. But those that I've seen have been pretty solid as far as functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is the Beretta 1301 competition NY legal ?
    I don’t see why it wouldn’t be as long as the maximum mag capacity stays at 7 or less. By default, the 1301 doesn’t have any features considered “Military Characteristics” in NY (ability to accept detachable mags, fixed mag capacity in excess of 7 rounds, folding or telescoping stock, thumbhole stock, second pistol grip for the non shooting hand).

Also the SAFE act states that “assault weapon” does not include “(ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition or a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.” I read that to mean that a Beretta 1301 Comp or Tactical are both legal as only as they aren’t modified from their factory 5 round configuration.

I am, however, not a NY state lawyer or LEO.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I have yet to encounter a 930 in real life that ran properly.
    Mine sucked as well! It would not get through a mag without jamming. Sold it and got a 590 because I couldn’t afford a 1301T at the time. Now I’m I holding off because I know myself well enough to know the second I pick one up I’m going to have to order all the Aridus kit for it!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    A friend of mine told me that the cheapest way to buy a Benelli was to just go in a store and buy a Benelli. He said a more expensive way was to buy a Mossberg 930, realize it wouldn't work, and take a bath on it when you traded it in on a Benelli.

I'm not 100% sure you have to buy a Benelli to have a reliable semi-auto shotgun, but every indicator I've seen has said to stay away from the Mossberg 930.
    I'm inclined to agree with the buy once cry once philosophy. I would much rather spend the money to get a gun that has a high liklihood of running properly off the bat than spend 2/3 of the price for a gun that's a perpetual headache.

I've seen dozens of 1301 shotguns in person at this point and I know of at least 100 more in private hands. There have been issues here and there with a few of them, but always minor and always addressed promptly by the factory in one trip.

I can't say the same for Mossbergs, Remingtons, or Stoegers, sadly.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 10-07-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    3/15/2016

So, I have to correct myself. The initial version of the SAFE Act banned certain make/models by name. It appears that under the current iteration of this insane lane, the weapons are only banned if they have certain terrible, evil features. It APPEARS that, at the current time, the 1301 does NOT meet any of the criteria to be an "assault weapon."

The 1301T or comp are what I’d really like most. That or a benelli.
    So it’s either get a pump or save for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Is a gen 2 1301T that much more of an improvement over the gen 1 with the bolt release aftermarket shroud?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Is a gen 2 1301T that much more of an improvement over the gen 1 with the bolt release aftermarket shroud?
    Only if you really want screw in chokes. Otherwise it doesn’t offer anything over a Gen1 and a Tau shroud.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List