Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi auto 12G

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FDE and OD are pretty rad...

Attachment 31125
    Attachment 31126
    That beige one looks neato. I think you won me over Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Only if you really want screw in chokes. Otherwise it doesn’t offer anything over a Gen1 and a Tau shroud.
    Hmm, good to know. For some reason I thought there were some more.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I believe the new versions also come with the aluminum rail instead of the plastic one.
    Correct.

The Gen2 1301 Tac has the aluminum rail, screw-in chokes, the new bolt release latch that supposedly won't dump rounds, and it uses the longer receiver from the 1301 Competition.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    and it uses the longer receiver from the 1301 Competition.
    I didn’t know that. That’s definitely a selling point if you plan to occasionally use 3.5” shells.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I didn’t know that. That’s definitely a selling point if you plan to occasionally use 3.5” shells.
    It has the longer receiver, but it doesn't chamber 3.5" shells.

It does have the benefit of the larger loading port, though. So that's nice.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It has the longer receiver, but it doesn't chamber 3.5" shells.

It does have the benefit of the larger loading port, though. So that's nice.
    Shooting 3" magnums one day pretty much cured me of interest in shooting 3.5" shells.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I own a 930 that just runs and like it. Two of my shooting friends also own 930s, and I know one of them even Mossberg couldn't get to work after multiple attempts.

Not great odds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I own a 930 that just runs and like it. Two of my shooting friends also own 930s, and I know one of them even Mossberg couldn't get to work after multiple attempts.

Not great odds.
    I've heard this since the thing came out. With 1301's going on sale periodically in the $7XX range, it makes no sense. Kindof like buying a DPMS now that Colt 6920's are what they are. Just...don't do it.

I don't know anything about the 11-87P; I stick to the recoil operated 11s and 11-48s, but I ran into this one while wandering around GB the other day, and it's right at your price point. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/782967620 Malkoff makes a conversion for the forend. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Having considerable experience with shotguns in practical competitions I would say.

Cheap Self Loader. Stoeger M3000, M3K or any variant that you find in your price limit.
    Not a fan of 1100's, but older ones if you must.
    Hard to find a used Browning Auto5 for under 500 (the real one not the new kid) but the old girls run well at
    any barrel length.

Pumps. Me too! on the Benelli Super Nova! No need to do anything to it but add capacity if you feel that
    is important.

Winchester 1300 (and the Stevens Chinese version) the 320 are good solid performers.
    I don't pretend to be a shotgun expert.

That said, waaay back in the day when I shot a lot (90s) practically everyone (generally GMs and master class types) in my part of the USPSA world had the same thing to say "If you have questions about shotguns, talk to Pat aka Mr. Auto-5". The primary Belgian Browning that I use today as a house gun came from him, and it may not be state of the art by modern standards, but it runs like a champ. Plus (Not really relevant but still cool to me) A5s cycle really, really fast!

That was a long winded way of saying that I would pay very close attention to what Pat Kelley has to say when it comes to shotguns. He is a true subject matter expert, to put it mildly.

Cheers!

User Tag List