Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Semi auto 12G

That’s perfect ASH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

[QUOTE=ASH556;801215]Pics of current M2 rig as promised:

Dude! Ya didn't "hog it out!" Nice job on the loading port, clean and useful.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Pics of current M2 rig as promised:

Dude! Ya didn't "hog it out!" Nice job on the loading port, clean and useful.
    Thank you sir! Means the world from you.
    Last edited by ASH556; 10-19-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    If the Beretta 1301 was priced around $650-700 (as it was when the first generation were being closed out) then I'd be more likely to buy one despite my nagging feeling that the gun is not quite a finished product and Beretta--like SIG--is using its customers as beta-testers.

As far as reliable $500 semi-auto shotguns go, a used Remington 1100 or Browning A5 will do just fine if you're willing to maintain the gun properly.
    Agreed. Ive watched the 1301 since its inception, and have yet to jump from my m4 to one. The m4 just keeps working, while the 1301 seems to continue needing patches and breaking. It has potential for sure, or for an iccassional use gun with a few fixes, but Benelli is still where its at for hard or high volume use, IMO. Remington VM is like a knockoff M4 and worse than the 1301, and true 1187P wont run low recoil without mods and requires a decent amount of upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    a used Remington 1100 ... will do just fine if you're willing to maintain the gun properly.
    I think this has been mentioned a couple of times now. As an owner of a less than completely reliable 11-87 I'd be interested to hear, what is the recommended maintenance schedule for this gun?

Having the pistol light on the left side of the gun hasn’t worked out well for my dept. I set them up that way on a magpul forend due to budget constraints but guys thumbs get destroyed in recoil and the setup is not well liked at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Having the pistol light on the left side of the gun hasn’t worked out well for my dept. I set them up that way on a magpul forend due to budget constraints but guys thumbs get destroyed in recoil and the setup is not well liked at all.
    I agree using it with momentary switching. You need to move your thumb before you shoot or add a pressure switch.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Guys thanks for all the great replies in this thread so far, being the owner of one of the "closeout" $650 Beretta 1301T's, I'm quite happy with it but always looking to expand my arsenal and get into other platforms.

My consensus from reading has been like this:

Pumps:

Remington - New Express models suck, Police models *should* be good to go, Older models much preferred I.E. prior to 10-15 years ago

Mossberg - Some love them some hate them (I'm in the "no issues and no problems" camp), prefer 590 style with magazine cap removable and cleanout tube, 590A1 just adds weight unless you get your shotgun closed in steel doors, I like the dual extractors and controls, personally

Benelli - SuperNova or Nova are both phenomenal for the price - personally I'd get a SuperNova Tac someday however the factory LOP is terrible for me, I need about 12.5" so I will look into the factory collapsible stock with pistol grip, or the Mesa Tactical, if I ever pick one up. Also needs a mag extension, so we are starting to get pricey.

Autos:

Remington: Versamax *should* be good to go, only comes in 26-28" barrel config, getting into Benelli M2 pricing territory

Mossberg: Avoid 930 models at all cost, horrible reputation *from what I've seen on this board and elsewhere*

Benelli: M4 is king for defense/tac app, M2 is king for competition and all-purpose semiauto, if needing a shorter LOP on M2, need to find a youth stock ($300-400?!), cut factory one down and modify, M4 can be had with collapsible stock or pistol grip stock if desired

Stoeger: So-so? Have only heard them mentioned a couple times, better rep than Moss 930's

*Note* - I just tried to summarize what we have so far, Benelli has a lengthy list of other models as well which are quite pricey, but I know OP originally was asking about something reliable in the $500-ish range, which unless you get a phenomenal deal on used, for a semi-auto, doesn't really exist - right? I agree the $1k-ish price point is a better place to start - "buy once, cry once"

Site Supporter
    FN-SLP shotguns were mentioned above. Let me ramble for a second. After spending a lot of money on the pump FN P-12 and thinking that I had a fancy high dollar Belgium pump gun, I discovered that instead I had a high dollar made in Turkey pump gun. The barrel was made in Belgium and so stamped. But no where else did I see the word Turkey. I called the Browning Repair Center and asked a blunt question, and they admitted that only the barrel was made in Belgium. The rest of the gun was made in Turkey. Also my pump was assembled in Portugal where the FN-SLP is assembled. The question is where are the parts made? Academy Sports sells the FN-SLP. If FN made it, it's probably ok. However, I don't see the guys here shooting a Turkey shotgun. Browning told me that Winchester pump guns sold at box stores shared the same part numbers as my FN gun with the Belgium made barrel. They told me that after I asked.The clue to me was that Academy's cheap Winchester security pump and my fancy FN version were clones. My guess is that the FN-SLP and Winchester semi auto have clone receivers. Google for me does not disclose what I wrote. If you wish for Browning to admit it, you must ask the part number question. Browning does FN's warranty work.
    Last edited by willie; 10-25-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Site Supporter

User Tag List